Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Duck Tape: Is this going to pass?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtimber2 View Post
    Check out the bridge reports or take a peak for ourself. Roads are a function of government. I rather them spend money the way they should, but I am realist.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Where in our national and/or state constitution(s) is it written that the gov't must build and maintain highways (and forcibly remove money from their citizens to do so)?
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

We need to cut the budget 10% across the board. There is that much waste at each agency, implement a reduction in force at all agencies and examine each agency closely for areas of waste. Then consider a tax increase. Take a page from President Trump's play book.

Quote Originally Posted by turbo View Post
    Where in our national and/or state constitution(s) is it written that the gov't must build and maintain highways (and forcibly remove money from their citizens to do so)?
    Commerence clause ring a bell. Any idea what the Interstate system did for commerence in the US?

Quote Originally Posted by fro View Post
    I get the tire folks to check my alignment every oil change at 10k. Not once has it been in. Majority of my SC driving is on 321 and 17, both of which are a joke condition wise.... Something has to give!
    Dang. What kind of vehicle do you drive? I checked my alignment after 50k miles and it was still spot on, and thats on a 20 year old truck with over 300k miles and the torsion bars cranked 2 1/2 inches. But I drive like an old man.

Fix the roads, I will pay more.

Money ain't the issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.”

Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Quote Originally Posted by Southernduck View Post
    Heads need to roll in Columbia. I have no problem increasing the gas tax as it is true use-tax however I have zero faith that we will see any improvement in roads because of increased revenue. I swear SCDOT always has newer pickups and plenty of labor but must not have any money for material to fix the holes, though they have gas money to ride around.

There is spot on I26 East at the 178 marker (Harleyville) that will about throw you off the road and has been that way for years, I do not understand why it cannot be fixed.
    You should see the lot on Shop Rd. in Cola. Full of new Ford pickups and new Suburbans just sitting there with DOT on the side...
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

I just don't understand the logic being used. Most seem to agree that our government can not handle the money we already give them and will not do anything to fix the situation. So the idea that giving them more money will fix anything is crazy. How many of you would give an employee that has proven to be incompetent a raise thinking they could not do their job before so more money should make them better.

This gas tax bill will have to wait , got a bill to ban dog hunting burning up tax payers money as we breathe. They can't do two things at a time, if it don't help their wallets.

Cut Dot to only monitor traffic and road conditions and let them handle the bidding process on a job by job basis. Dot can oversee repair or construction but we all know dot employees suck at actually getting the work done.

I'm already paying a total net taxes on my income of approx. 42%. ( income, sales, property, fuel, internet/telecommunications, sporting goods, etc. )
    I think that I'd like to keep the rest of my money so the answer is no, I'm not in favor of anymore new taxes. In fact, I'd like to see taxes reduced so that I can keep even more of my money. As it is now I'm working 22 weeks a year to fund the government.

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Fix the roads, I will pay more.
    It's tax season. I'm sure you can add as much extra money to your check as you want and they'll be glad to take it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtimber2 View Post
    Commerence clause ring a bell. Any idea what the Interstate system did for commerence in the US?

Nice try.

The Commerce Clause gives the feds power to regulate interstate commerce, commerce with foreign nations/entities, and commerce with indian tribes. That's all.

I understand what the interstate system did for our economy. Now, we need to maintain it. They've been kicking this can for decades and this here chicken has come home to roost.

Our gov't needs to use what it's got and make it work. More money won't help anyhow.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

I guess you want private citizens to build and maintain roads. Most agree governments are not thrifty spenders, but a road system is a government function. The most strict conservative constitutionalist do not dispute that.

Abolish state and federal income, capital gains, corporate and inheritance taxes. Pass the FairTax and there will be enough money to pave the streets with gold and build marble bridges.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    Cut Dot to only monitor traffic and road conditions and let them handle the bidding process on a job by job basis. Dot can oversee repair or construction but we all know dot employees suck at actually getting the work done.
    But DAMN they shore got some nice NEW TRUCKS to ride around in. Saw a new one yesterday parked and counted 7 shovel's, all new I might add, and a bunch of other new tools in the back. Had 2 people walking around in the woods like they were looking for a place to pee or something. The waste is real
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

I was stopped at a traffic light and looked over to my left and took this pic October 2014.
    9 guys standing around, only one guy working.
    They're still working on this stretch of road today.

Men at work.jpg

Not sure why the pic is upside down, it was right side up on my PC. Can't figure out how to fix it .
    Last edited by scatter shot; 01-20-2017 at 09:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Abolish state and federal income, capital gains, corporate and inheritance taxes. Pass the FairTax and there will be enough money to pave the streets with gold and build marble bridges.
    My man. Cyber high five and fist bump my brother.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Quote Originally Posted by scatter shot View Post
    I was stopped at a traffic light and looked over to my left and took this pic October 2014.
    Your truck is upside down.