Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 60hp or 70hp

Default 60hp or 70hp

I have a 50 Yamaha 2 stroke, would like to go faster but keep motor stock. I believe I have about the best prop on it now, however have not tried a semi cleaver style prop. 60 or 70, 2 or 4 stroke? I like the fuel efficiency and quietness of 4 stroke but don't like the weight. What about gear case ratio? Either one is over the HP rating for the boat, I just think the 4 stroke would be way to much weight. Hull is a 1652 Lowe Roughneck, tiller.
    Last edited by scmoose; 01-19-2017 at 08:01 AM.

F70. Light weight ,plenty of power

I am running a Yamaha 70, 2 stroke, on a 1648, and it is awesome. I haven't even cracked the shell on where I could be. I'm running a 17p stainless currently, with a jack plate. I'm still trying to play with it and dial it in, but so far I have seen 40 with three men and gear. Talk to Willyworm and Bmiller. They know their stuff about these motors and setups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Some high society lady says is your horse outside, no ma'am he's between my legs, but you're too fat to ride" Hank Jr

What is weird about my set up now is it will run virtually the same with three people in the boat, or myself, maybe a 1-2 mph difference. Not much difference in speed between low 5000 rpm and 58-5900 rpm.

I can actually run better with a load, but I have weight distribution issues I need to correct after season. I'll get it right by summer, and let ya know. Right now I'm still playing with the jack plate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Some high society lady says is your horse outside, no ma'am he's between my legs, but you're too fat to ride" Hank Jr

What's a typical price on an f70?

There is an F 70 on Craigslist in Greenville right now

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Please support March of Dimes

www.marchforbabies.org/MadelineRai

Have you thought about a different hull?
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

It won't be too much weight IMO. I've got a 2 stroke 90 on a 1652 and it floats it
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Don't really want to change hulls, for no other reason that I don't feel like screwing with it. I really want to get my hands on a 12 or 13 pitch powertech scb to try.

Quote Originally Posted by scmoose View Post
    for no other reason that I don't feel like screwing with it.

That's the fun part.
    Please support March of Dimes

www.marchforbabies.org/MadelineRai

It's been my observation that for every 10 hp it's around 2 to 3 mph. But a new hull with that 50 could mean 5 to 10 mph. If the 50 has given you problems then I understand the switch. Even going to a 4 stroke I understand. But finding a 70 2 stoke isn't worth the effort in my opinion. I'd work on my setup with a few props and a jack plate before I try another motor.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

2 stroke 60 and 70 are the same motor just different carb jets and exhaust tuner to get the extra 10 hp. Keep in mind the F70 is only 30 lbs heavier (dry weight) than the 2 stroke 60/70.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by Sheep View Post
    There is an F 70 on Craigslist in Greenville right now

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Brand new one for sale at dealer in lake Wylie 7700

As for the gearing, the F70 and the 2 stroke 60/70 all have the 2.33:1 gear ratio in the foot which is not the greatest for speed but totes a load very well. My 1651 Xpress (which is only rated for a 50) with a few mods to my 60, topped out at 45 with a 3 blade 19 pitch and that was before I added the jack plate. Kinda quit messing with chasing that next mph after I switched to a 4 blade, got better holeshot and turning while still running 43 mph. I mean how much faster do I really want to go. 43 is plenty fast for me.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 01-19-2017 at 04:37 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."

What speeds you getting now moose?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Willy you have seen my set up. No issues to date with the motor. I just don't understand how I can 30 mph at 4500rpm, but just another 2-4 mph faster wide ass open turning 5800. That's all with a 12p stiletto. I've tried a 15 pitch powertech reb, but couldn't turn that prop. I think I've got the right motor height as the prop will blow out before I start to porpoise if I throw some weight up front. If I raise the motor up I porpoise before the prop blows out.

Those speeds are up river, ha ha. Runs better with a slight chop in the water. Weight in the boat doesn't seem to affect speed, just gets out the hole a little slower.
    Last edited by scmoose; 01-19-2017 at 05:54 PM.

I tell lots of folks this, y'all may think I'm full of shit, but I swear by my 4 blade. You stand to gain a whole lot and give up very little if anything. You'll get better holeshot, better grip when cornering, you could raise the motor higher (if at all possible) and trim it more without losing grip.

Prop slip may be a big factor for you. This is just a theory, but it sounds like your motor is making more power but your prop just slips too much to use it. If you want to keep your 50 and you're looking at power tech props already, why not consider the scb4 in a 11 or 12 pitch?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 01-19-2017 at 06:38 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Im running a 12 now, stiletto, should I go up or down a size if I go with 4 blade?