Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: West End

Default West End

4 of us are taking a 26ft Grady to West End at the end of March.
    Planning on trolling, bottom fishing, and catching lobster.

I don't know a thing about that area.

Any do's and don'ts, things to see, things to watch out for, what to bring, etc.

Hook a brotha up.

Also it would be cool if anyone wanted to give me the skinny on catching hogfish and yellowtail.
    To me, yellowtail look just like vermillions so I assume fishing would be the same.

What about bringing fish and lobster back to the states?
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

We fish the outer islands so no help there, but, go to the seafood market and ask for the cell number of a kid who catches a lot of lobster. Pay him a hundred bucks to take you out once, and you will have no problem on your own from there. Nothing to it once you know an area to start in and what to look for...

Hold those lobsters real tight against your chest so they don't get away while you're swimming to the surface.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Don't know your exact dates in March but lobster season is closed from April 1 thru July 31.
    DO NOT get caught with out of season lobster in the Bahamas!!!

Well, I'd say since he's going in March, he'll be alright.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by RazMaTaz View Post
    Don't know your exact dates in March but lobster season is closed from April 1 thru July 31.
    DO NOT get caught with out of season lobster in the Bahamas!!!
    Or with clorox to get them out of their holes...

Quote Originally Posted by turbo View Post
    Well, I'd say since he's going in March, he'll be alright.
    He said he was going the end of March - didn't know if his trip would spill over into April.

Last week of March.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

dont forget who your friends are when you get back.

We should go bream fishing.

It would be a good time for you to bring me some more fillets.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

If it were me, I would push on to Bimini. Much better diving/spearing and shallow water fishing in that area. Memory Rock or the west side of the canyon depending on weather and patterns. No spear guns, but we tweaked some slings when we used to go over there alot and some good killing happened most every trip. Been awhile now that wife and kids are in the mix as we used to make 6-8 trips a year, but the wahoo bite was unreal for us in and around Easter every year. Shoot me a PM if you want some more specifics.
    Last edited by FishSticker; 01-18-2017 at 02:27 PM.

We usually make a day run over out of Stuart. Look for tuna around day break then deep drop for Yellow Eye Snapper for a few hours. Then if the water conditions let us make a quick enough return, stop and deep drop on some Tilefish holes. It's not really the returning with fish you need to worry about. It's the Bahamian Navy checking you while you are in their waters.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

tuna.jpg

tile fish.jpg

snapper.jpg

snappers.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

Goin Coastal - pm your way.

Fishsticker - one coming your way also.

Thanks guys.

Ralph,Always grew up calling those Queen Snapper...Same thing? Can't see well enough on my phone. Good catching for sure.

Bog, Best advice I can give you, if you're only going to be there a short time... Just hire one of the local guys to go fish with you on your boat for a day or two. Well worth the time, effort, and money.
    Last edited by FishSticker; 01-18-2017 at 01:55 PM.

And make sure you take the bent butts and electric reels.

Quote Originally Posted by Goin Coastal View Post
    We usually make a day run over out of Stuart. Look for tuna around day break then deep drop for Yellow Eye Snapper for a few hours. Then if the water conditions let us make a quick enough return, stop and deep drop on some Tilefish holes. It's not really the returning with fish you need to worry about. It's the Bahamian Navy checking you while you are in their waters.
    That's technically illegal... You can't drop lines in Bohemian waters until you clear customs and obtain a fishing permit. Customs opens at 8am in West End.

Here are a few pointers that will hopefully keep you out of jail:

1) Before you drop lines in Bohemian waters, you need to check in with customs in the Bahamas and obtain a fishing permit. It will cost you $150+ in CASH depending on how many people are on board. If I recall, it's like $150 for the first 3 people and then $30 for each additional person. BRING CASH. You will need your passports for everyone on board. If you want to spearfish, you need to tell them at customs and they will write "Spearfishing OK" on your permit. You are only allowed pole spear and hawaiin sling. NO SCUBA on the boat at all if there is spear gear.
    2) Limits in the Bahamas are possession limits... Bottomfish or "scalefish" as they call them are the most confusing to people... It's 60 lbs of fish or 20 fish whichever is the LESSER. That's NOT per person. That's per boat... You should have no more than that in your possession at any time. So, whether you stay there 1 day or 100 days, you cannot "stock the freezer" and bring back multiple limits.
    3) Once you get back into US waters, you are subject to US limits even if you were in the Bahamas the entire time. There are a few exceptions (fish fillets, tailed lobsters).
    4) This is this misconception spreading around in Florida that you can go over there and purchase 100's of stone crab claws and conch, etc and bring them back to the states. This is simply not true and if you get caught doing it, could be in violation of international trade laws.
    5) When you come back into the USA, you have to check back into US customs. Failing to do so can get you 10K in fines and jail time. The best thing to do is to get the "Local Boater Option" for EVERY INDIVIDUAL on your boat and file an electronic float plan with the coasties before you leave. Then you can "check in" electronically. If you do NOT have a LBO, then you are required to make a PHYSICAL appearance at a US Customs office within 24 hours of your return, and technically you are not allowed to step off of your boat until you call customs and get permission to

As far as fishing, West End fishing is good. Trolling, we've caught sailfish, wahoo, dolphin, cero mackeral, blackfins just off of the break trying to stay 400-600' of water. You are limited to 6 rods in the water at once. Memory rock is a great area to look for bottom fishing. Yellowtails are easy to find. Anchor your boat on the edge of the break in about 40-60 feet of water and hang a chum bag off the back. If you don't have a school of tails behind your boat in 10 minutes, you are doing something wrong. Glass minnows on light tackle will catch all the yellowtail snapper you want. Sardines and other baits will catch schoolmasters, groupers, horseeye jacks, etc. Lots of variety.

Here is how you get your Local Boater Option

https://svrs.cbp.dhs.gov/Default.aspx

Jason W pointed you in the right direction. The bohemians will take your boat if they catch you fishing bohemian waters before clearing customs. Get a yellow flag and do it right to avoid any issues.

Here is some good info concerning fishing and transport. Most of the time the customs guys don't even ask us how much fish we have. Other times they have played 50 questions. It kind of depends on who you get to clear you.
    http://m.myfwc.com/news/news-release...er/09/bahamas/

Bring as much beer as you can. It's $60 a case over there.

Good luck, it can still be pretty windy that time of year.
    Last edited by Dawhoo; 01-18-2017 at 02:59 PM.
    "The best things in life make you sweaty"
    - Edgar Allen Poe

“We need the tonic of wildness...At the same time that we are earnest to explore and learn all things, we require that all things be mysterious and unexplorable, that land and sea be indefinitely wild, unsurveyed and unfathomed by us...”
    ― Henry David Thoreau