Thread: Restoring Cypress trees

Default Restoring Cypress trees

Anyone ever tried to plant bald cypress trees? I have a few islands, well really they are more like shallow mounds of dirt. They aren't big at all, but there are alot of scrub trees that have been growing on them. I'd love to see them replaced with cypress trees since they used to be here. I know they are slow growing and it would basically be something my kids would enjoy, but I'm ok with that. Can I stick a tree or two among the others or do they need alot of direct sunlight? Tree tubes or not? If I plant ten or so will they start to spread on their own?

My main reason for the cypress trees is that they are native. But I'm open to suggestions on other trees that I could plant at the same time. Something that would be beneficial to ducks and other wildlife.

I can't help ya with that, but I did find a black cypress growing in SC this past fall....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's pretty, ha, not that.

You could throw some river birches around, they're pretty fast growing. I think a bald cypress is around a foot a year. I've been watching some that were planted in my teenage years, it's not for the impatient.
    Last edited by Highstrung; 01-17-2017 at 08:59 AM.

Was wondering what a black cypress was until I scrolled all the way down.

River Birch is a great suggestion HS. I know where a few are that were planted 15-20 years ago and they are right at 15-20 ft high so that matches with what I've seen.

have had success planting bare root into shallow water and mud flats. some were staked, some were tubed and staked, some were left to themselves. i would say we had 75% survival.

good luck
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

Cypress saplings do really well if planted in moist soil locations. I prefer barefoot vs larger container trees. Not uncommon to get 90% survivability if the site is right for it. Plant on 10'x10' spacing for bare root. Adjust spacing for container plant sizes.
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

If you need some saplings , probably can get all you want in my backyard.