Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beaver Pond

Default Beaver Pond

I have a good sized beaver pond on our lease and we have hunted pretty regular except for this year because the beavers were trapped and the dam broke over the summer and its been dry. Well new beavers have moved in and have finally gotten some water in it. Is there any method worth going through to make sure next season we have water? I plan on planting some more but dont want it to be for not. I have looked into some ideas but most seem to be for large impoundments. Anyone with some experience on this would be greatly appreciated.

There is a search feature on this wonderful website. Information galore if you take the time to look

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Search function - Clemson leveler or something like that. Google works too.

let the beavers stay

Quote Originally Posted by thawhacker View Post
    let the beavers stay
    ^^^this

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by thawhacker View Post
    let the beavers stay
    I didn't make the decision to trap them. I fought for a couple years to keep them. The president of our club is a deer hunter that doesn't like water over the road so he came in with beaver traps and trapped the shit out of em. But a few survived, hopefully that jack leg leaves the few that are here alone.

A beaver can fix a hole in a damn but you couldn't. Let that soak in for a few
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

in short:
    Part time trappers are one of the main reasons it sucks to be a duck hunter in a deer club.

beavers CREATE the ideal habitat for wood ducks.

end of rant.

“Muh butts been wiped.” TheBigGuy
    “Poor kids are just as bright and talented as white kids.” PedoPete, Esq.
    “Let’s go Brandon, I agree!” former Vice President Joe Biden
    “Shower time, Ashley.” NotAndyTaylor

OneLeggedMan, the sooner you realize that theres no use in asking for any kind of input on any subject in the scducks forums, the better.
    Psalm 23

Yep.

Beavers ruin timber, timber makes money. The owner should make the decision on the beavers.

Got two options: Rain or More rain. When the water backs up onto a neighbor or upstream land and starts killing trees. The landowner will get rid of the beavers

My 2 places are reliant to rain. When I get it and how much at one time makes a big difference from my experiences.
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Indeed, yet I have killed no Jack Miners today, this month, or this season as our boy DHall has. I am more jealous of his awesome pig of a bird than everyone else combined.

First Peter 5:7 "Cast all your care upon God"

If it stays full of water there will be no food in a few years . Most ducks are eating acorns . That Clemson leveler would be your best bet . It should not have water in the summer .
    I used to drink like a fish and run like a dog
    Done a whole lotta shit not permitted by law
    People call me the Picasso of painting the town

I've had a lot of experience with beaver ponds and in my opinion a beaver pond is consistently productive for about 4-5 years max.
    In year one to year 3 it's extremely productive for wood ducks, greenwings, and the occasional mallard. After that it starts to decline and by year 6 you are lucky to hold 30 wood ducks.

My opinion is that whatever non-aquatic plants that were flooded hosted "new" foods (bugs, seed, etc) but once the habitat became permanently aquatic, those resources depleted. I've seen it happen with a half a dozen places.

While the thought to keep the Beavers is ok, I would suggest whacking them. They have already built your pond. Put a leveler in and drain every year, allowing those plants that drew them to grow again.
    Beavers are great little critters, but they don't have duck ponds in mind...
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

By killing them....you can prolong the areas productivity.

Check out a freshly built beaver pond. It's teeming with life.
    Check out one a decade old......dead trees and stagnant water.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Or you just figure out how to control the water and beavers yourself enabling you to plant and maintain the habitat keeping it productive for years. Someone who actually has a lot of experience with beaver ponds would know this. It's a beaver for fuck sake. Stick some pvc through the dam and keep it drained during the summer and the add the 90 and appropriate amount of pipe for the correct water level. The beaver is just building the dike for you. Beavers brain is the size of a golf ball. If that is to much to overcome then take up golf
    Last edited by Griffin; 01-20-2017 at 06:48 PM.
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Someone with experience with beavers? Thats not you griffith, cause you just typed a paragraph of complete bullshit.

Or you just figure out how to control the water and beavers yourself enabling you to plant and maintain the habitat keeping it productive for years. Someone who actually has a lot of experience with beaver ponds would know this. It's a beaver for fuck sake. Stick some pvc through the dam and keep it drained during the summer and the add the 90 and appropriate amount of pipe for the correct water level. The beaver is just building the dike for you. Beavers brain is the size of a golf ball. If that is to much to overcome then take up golf
    Yep.... I'd say you have little to no experience with beavers.