Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meeting regarding Murrell's Inlet Bird San

Default Meeting regarding Murrell's Inlet Bird San

See the link and story below.

http://www.southstrandnews.com/news/...62a54be24.html

I am working on a petition that will represent the other side of the issue but we don't have long to get signatures. I do understand the politics but even a legislature (or legislator) willing to support hunter's rights needs to have someone that has their backs.

I do understand the politics and know that it'll probably end with a compromise that makes no one happy. I'd rather both sides end up unhappy than to have the anti-hunters celebrating.

Plan to make the meeting if you can. If not write a letter to Goldfinch and copy your senator and congressman and possibly DT.

Thanks.

A community forum called by Sen. Stephen Goldfinch (R-Murrells Inlet) and hosted by Murrells Inlet 2020 is set to discuss the pros and cons of designating Murrells Inlet as a bird sanctuary.

The forum will be held at 6 p.m. on Thursday, Jan. 26, at the Murrells Inlet Community Center. The public is invited to attend and hear and comment on information about the proposal from the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources and an economist.

"I think it's import that the public have a voice in this thing," Goldfinch said in an interview with South Strand News. "As sweeping a change as this might be, it is important to hear form all groups and individuals that might be impacted."

He said he has heard from a group called Preserve Murrells Inlet, which has led the effort and distributed a petition to make the area a bird sanctuary, but so far has not heard from others on this issue. He said input during the forum could affect his decision whether to propose legislation in the state Senate or the exact wording for the legislation.

"Based on the response so far, there is support for doing something," Goldfinch said. "But many people don't understand it yet."

MI2020 is hosting the event, but the nonprofit's board of directors has not taken a stance on the issue.

"We are facilitators of this forum, but we are taking no position, for or against," said Whitney Hills, the outgoing chairwoman, at the group's Jan. 4 meeting. "We just want to make sure the community gets the information."

Goldfinch said, in all likelihood, the proposed legislation will prohibit all shooting of guns in the Inlet. However, he would not be in favor of prohibiting guns in the Inlet.

"The simplest thing, probably, would be to prohibit all hunting within the bounds of Murrells Inlet," he said. "But, there are lots of reasons to carry a gun through the Inlet, including going offshore."

He added that there would be an enforcement issue if only bird hunting is banned.

"Enforcement becomes an issue when you pick and choose what can be hunted in Murrells Inlet," Goldfinch said. "If DNR hears a gunshot, they know there was a violation, but if they have to go out and determine whether a bird or an alligator has been shot, that's when you run into problems."

Goldfinch said he is eager to hear from the community during the forum.

"I need to hear what people want, what they will tolerate, and what they will not tolerate," he said. "After I understand where everybody is, I may move forward with the bill."

The Murrells Inlet Community Center is located at 4450 Murrells Inlet Road. For more information or directions, call MI2020 at 843-357-2007.
    Last edited by Mergie Master; 01-16-2017 at 05:11 PM.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

"Enforcement becomes an issue when you pick and choose what can be hunted in Murrells Inlet," Goldfinch said. "If DNR hears a gunshot, they know there was a violation, but if they have to go out and determine whether a bird or an alligator has been shot, that's when you run into problems."

This sort of attitude in our legislators bothers me greatly. Far too many game laws are written with an eye towards ease of enforcement as opposed to the best interests of the resource or the rights of hunter to utilize non-detrimental methods or equipment. It just easier for the enforcement agencies to ask for a blanket prohibition than to makes laws/rules that make sense.
    The only good thing about my imperfections is the joy they bring my friends.

Beware the man with one gun...he probably has other faults also.

Why stop there? Lets take the quote to the next logical step

Quote Originally Posted by Salt Marsh View Post
    "Enforcement becomes an issue when you pick and choose what can be Harvested in Murrells Inlet," Goldfinch said. "If DNR sees a boat, they know there was a violation, but if they have to go out and determine whether a fish or an oyster has been harvested, that's when you run into problems."
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

The petition is up -> https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/...murrells-inlet

I don't believe anyone in the legislature wants this passed but but they've got to know that they have support. Right now they are only hearing from the birders.

Y'all please show up to this if you are local. We always talk a big game on here but then we fall apart when it's time for these public forums. We have to show numbers. If this passes, it will be used as an example of legislation for other municipalities to copy along the coast.

Quote Originally Posted by SBPep View Post
    Y'all please show up to this if you are local. We always talk a big game on here but then we fall apart when it's time for these public forums. We have to show numbers. If this passes, it will be used as an example of legislation for other municipalities to copy along the coast.
    Not just along the coast either. Around ever cove in every lake and river in SC.

I just signed the online petition, I don't know if I'll be able to make it to the meeting but I'm going to try.

Heres Stephen Goldfinches email, StephenGoldfinch@gmail.com

340 signatures *
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

I'll be at the meeting.

Its about to grow Uugely.
    Genesis 9;2

382. There are birders signing this petition too. Birders, as a whole, are not the enemy of hunters.

A much better bill would be to ban Yankees from Murrells Inlet. That'd solve a whole load of shit!

One strong and maybe overdue hurricane through there would take care of a lot that development.

And it will, sooner or later.

One strong and maybe overdue hurricane through there would take care of a lot that development.

And it will, sooner or later.

628 now.
    Genesis 9;2

How strong of a turn out are yall expecting at the meeting? Its about an Hour and Half ride for me and I could possibly make it in time if I get out of work around 4.

I signed the petition. I think waterfowl hunting should be allowed in murrells inlet. Now my father, who lives there, feels differently about it than i do. He is a hunter. Not a duck hunter anymore, but he gets it. He is as passionate a trout and flounder fisherman as anyone and has probably bumped damn near every oyster in those creeks with his slow trolled mud minnow rigs. He trout fishes a lot this time of year and has had bad experiences with duck hunters. He is in his 70's and is not as sharp as he once was. He has fished near decoy spreads, not knowing they were decoys and has had people shoot in the air to warn him that he was too close. I totally understand his perspective.
    \"Go to Know\"

It is a natural resource of this state no different than the coastline. We have history on our side. We better fight for it.

Go tonight if you can. I remember the Clybeern bridge to know where meeting we had... We all brought our duck calls and had a Jessie Jackson moment just outside the building. It was a beautiful noise...
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.