Thread: Meeting regarding Murrell's Inlet Bird San

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Meeting regarding Murrell's Inlet Bird San

See the link and story below.

http://www.southstrandnews.com/news/...62a54be24.html

I am working on a petition that will represent the other side of the issue but we don't have long to get signatures. I do understand the politics but even a legislature (or legislator) willing to support hunter's rights needs to have someone that has their backs.

I do understand the politics and know that it'll probably end with a compromise that makes no one happy. I'd rather both sides end up unhappy than to have the anti-hunters celebrating.

Plan to make the meeting if you can. If not write a letter to Goldfinch and copy your senator and congressman and possibly DT.

Thanks.

A community forum called by Sen. Stephen Goldfinch (R-Murrells Inlet) and hosted by Murrells Inlet 2020 is set to discuss the pros and cons of designating Murrells Inlet as a bird sanctuary.

The forum will be held at 6 p.m. on Thursday, Jan. 26, at the Murrells Inlet Community Center. The public is invited to attend and hear and comment on information about the proposal from the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources and an economist.

"I think it's import that the public have a voice in this thing," Goldfinch said in an interview with South Strand News. "As sweeping a change as this might be, it is important to hear form all groups and individuals that might be impacted."

He said he has heard from a group called Preserve Murrells Inlet, which has led the effort and distributed a petition to make the area a bird sanctuary, but so far has not heard from others on this issue. He said input during the forum could affect his decision whether to propose legislation in the state Senate or the exact wording for the legislation.

"Based on the response so far, there is support for doing something," Goldfinch said. "But many people don't understand it yet."

MI2020 is hosting the event, but the nonprofit's board of directors has not taken a stance on the issue.

"We are facilitators of this forum, but we are taking no position, for or against," said Whitney Hills, the outgoing chairwoman, at the group's Jan. 4 meeting. "We just want to make sure the community gets the information."

Goldfinch said, in all likelihood, the proposed legislation will prohibit all shooting of guns in the Inlet. However, he would not be in favor of prohibiting guns in the Inlet.

"The simplest thing, probably, would be to prohibit all hunting within the bounds of Murrells Inlet," he said. "But, there are lots of reasons to carry a gun through the Inlet, including going offshore."

He added that there would be an enforcement issue if only bird hunting is banned.

"Enforcement becomes an issue when you pick and choose what can be hunted in Murrells Inlet," Goldfinch said. "If DNR hears a gunshot, they know there was a violation, but if they have to go out and determine whether a bird or an alligator has been shot, that's when you run into problems."

Goldfinch said he is eager to hear from the community during the forum.

"I need to hear what people want, what they will tolerate, and what they will not tolerate," he said. "After I understand where everybody is, I may move forward with the bill."

The Murrells Inlet Community Center is located at 4450 Murrells Inlet Road. For more information or directions, call MI2020 at 843-357-2007.
    Last edited by Mergie Master; 01-16-2017 at 05:11 PM.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.