Thread: Bear Island Youth Draw Hunt Advice

Default Bear Island Youth Draw Hunt Advice

The info doc says they will provide blinds and decoys. I've never drawn BI or taken a kid, but this isn't what I've experienced on my draw hunts on Cedar, Cape etc. Has anybody done this hunt with a kid and
    would you bring decoys, be prepared to NOT hunt the blinds etc?

Thanks
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

They usually have 8 or 10 decoys. I would be prepared to move if necessary. Listen to what the tech tells you. They are good about putting the kids where the birds are although I understand some ponds are not huntable due to Matthew.
    You ought to have a great hunt.
    DILLIGAF

I think you should bring your own decoys, and a jerk string or something to create ripples.

And I would bring some portable blind material as well. As much natural cover as possible.

The blinds and cover in the fields were wiped out by the hurricane, and late season ducks are going to be spooky.
    Last edited by Ghetto; 01-25-2017 at 02:09 PM.

Here's my thoughts: Do what they tell you for as long as it works. If it doesn't work / stops working then go to where the birds are going without much delay. If you're after a particular bird you can shoot a few early birds then be patient. The "big" ducks usually don't fly well until a little later in the morning.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Are you hunting BI East? BI West or Springfield/The Cut?

Listen to the techs as mentioned earlier as they know what the birds are doing. Be prepared to hunt where they recommend such as in the blind, out of the blind or start in the blind and move if the birds are doing something different. We hunted BI East on 1/12. It was a tough hunt, no wind, hot and lots of gnats/mosquitos. Birds everywhere and in decoys prior to shooting time then nothing until 20 mins after shooting time. Birds did not work decoys well because lack of wind/movement on water. We still got our 2 man limit mixed with Gadwall/BWT/GWT/Shovelers. Had pintails work, but impoundments/ponds are close so when other ponds/impoundments would shoot their birds, our birds working would flare off being that it is late in the season. They have mixed decoys to use, but if you have your own I would bring them as we did. If it is a little to no wind day, bring something to get some movement on water. Jerk string would be your best bet or something else like a pulsator to get other movement on the water, stay away from mojos. We had groups and pairs of decoys out, but switched things around to have them more scattered and spread out farther and that seemed to get them to work better and commit. Had one group go to the blind when the tech told them to get in the grass in another area of the impoundment and the hunt was no bueno for them.

Hope the little guy gets some birds, post some pics.

swamp stools. they will point you in the right direction. pack light so you can move around easy.

Great feedback, guys. Thanks. Swamp stool is a great idea. I'll bring a few deeks and a jerk string.

It's BI East on 2/4
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead