Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whole duck recipes ...

Default Whole duck recipes ...

Go. I have two fat pintails and a widgeon picked and cleaned. High strung seems like a culinary expert, WWHSD? Thinking of stuffing with onions and carrots and salt and pepper on the skin. Maybe some red wine ?
    “The price of freedom is eternal vigilance” - Thomas Jefferson

Salt, pepper, fat, fire. This shit ain't hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man don't mess 'em up. Jalapeño, cream cheese and bacon man.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by JBK View Post
    Man don't mess 'em up. Jalapeño, cream cheese and bacon man.
    That sounds messed up!

But I'll share my messed up breast recipe

!/3 brown sugar
    1/3 olive oil
    1/3 soy sauce
    splash of chinese five spice
    medium rare
    Thank me later
    Go Tigers!!!

This is not my first rodeo on cooking breasts, but these aren't breasts. Whole duck, oven, roasted. Been a while, wanted to know recent recipes. And yes, it's not hard, but subjective.
    “The price of freedom is eternal vigilance” - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Pride View Post
    This is not my first rodeo on cooking breasts, but these aren't breasts. Whole duck, oven, roasted. Been a while, wanted to know recent recipes. And yes, it's not hard, but subjective.
    I know what you asked, I was responding to JBK.
    But, put those whole ducks in a cast iron pot, with chicken broth, and vegetables for a few hours. Salt and pepper to taste! You'll like it just fine. forget the oven, or do what I mentioned in the oven, in a cast iron pot...
    Go Tigers!!!

Cooked some deer sausage about halfway. Stuffed it in the duck. Brushed with olive oil. Salt pepper and garlic powder. Grill on about a 250 grill till medium rare. Can't rememebr the temp. Put on a bed of rice. Pretty fine.

split them in half. Salt, pepper, garlic and olive oil. Medium high heat on the grill. Start hem skin side down.
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

Bake them with a few seasonings just like other guys have said. Remove the ducks from pan and make a rich onion gravy. Place the ducks back in said gravy to simmer for a while. Make a big pot of grits and bake some homemade biscuits. You'll have a meal fit for a king. This meal seems to be better when cooked and eaten at a hunting camp or on a bitter cold day while reading some old hunting journals.
    U serious Clark?

And when I say homemade biscuits, I mean made with lard or shortening like old time black ladies do. Whop biscuits won't do this meal justice.
    U serious Clark?

Preheat oven to at least 475 (preferably 500 or higher). Olive oil, salt, and pepper are a must, other seasonings to your liking. If you can pull it off with out tearing, put come butter between the skin and meat. Place bird on an elevated rack inside of baking pan so entire thing cooks evenly. When the skin is golden brown(crispy) you are done. Internal will be a medium/medium rare.

~LB

Salt, pepper, garlic liberally inside and out. Stuff with apples, onions, green onions, pears, etc. Set ducks in dish / cast iron and add enough chicken broth to cover half of the the duck. Bake at 300 with the breast side down. Turn and bake with the breast side up at 375. I don't remember the times, but it ends up being approximately 2/3 with the breast down and 1/3 breast up. Cook until legs get tender enough to pull off the duck.

Thicken juice with flour for my favorite gravy.

Not the best roasting ducks so don't give up on whole roasting if you are not super impressed with the effort involved. I am guessing you will enjoy the results just fine regardless.

I don't even know what I'd do. I kinda like some of what these guys are saying. I like them roasted, but it's got to be in a hot ass oven to sear the skin good and to be able to leave them on the rarer side. I'd probably to that over coals or in an oven with a maple glaze. That's my boring go to, but I like it.

What are your favorite birds whole JAB?

I was kidding earlier with the popper thing. I have had good results with whole ducks. I cook mine on my knock off green egg over wood.
    Last edited by JBK; 01-15-2017 at 05:30 PM.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

Not my question, but a woodduck first, but it's neck and neck with a teal. I like mallards to. They're just like right beside them, really all three. I swear I just notice a difference in a summerduck that's been purging on acorns.

That's just me though. I hear all sorts if stuff.

You always hear about the market hunters and readings of back then. I've just chalked it up to people not having any taste buds back then.

My preference for whole roasted ducks-( not that it matters)
    Teal
    Summer Ducks
    Canvasbacks
    Mallards, Blacks, Sprigs
    All others generally don't get plucked... breasted or chunked as gumbo ingredients
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Summer ducks go whole in the Dutch oven. Big ducks get spatchcocked and start skin side down for a minute in hot cast iron, turned over to finish the cooking process. Salt and pepper. I want to try to hang one by it's neck over a bed of coals for a few hours amd see what I can do with it. Just have to kill some ducks this season...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Dont knock a ringneck! I think they are fine eating. But, teal and wood ducks first.
    Go Tigers!!!