Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leeches

Default Leeches

We were hunting in the swamp Tuesday and it was in the teens for the third day in a row. The hole we had busted open started to close up so I went back out in the boat to bust ice again. When I got back, I had this Boone and Crockett leech stuck to the side of the boat. I would've never expected them to be actively attaching in the frozen water. Guess I'll really have to start checking the dog now. This is only the second leech I've ever seen. Is this a common occurrence?

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

That looks more like an earthworm than a leech.. (IMHO) The leeches we always pull off our waders were flatter and had a defined head..

Great fishbait!! LOL!!
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

This one has a defined head, the picture just lost definition when it uploaded. Let me see if I can improve it.

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    That looks more like an earthworm than a leech.. (IMHO) The leeches we always pull off our waders were flatter and had a defined head..

Great fishbait!! LOL!!
    So you get them stuck during really cold temps? Have you found them on your dog if you hunt with one?

That's a leech alright. Never found one on the dogs. My experience with them is limited to MS and AR oxbows
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

That's a whole lot different than the ones we always get in Lake Wateree.

Yuck!

I've seen thousands of leeches. At once. All over me. As a kid at summer camp, I slipped and fell in shallow mountain stream. When I stood up, my pants were one black, squirming mass of leeches. Screeching like a girl, I had to strip down right in front of everybody, including the girls.

Got this a couple weeks ago in lake wateree.IMG_0727.jpg

I've pulled some trophy leeches off my legs while wading to fish places. No pain, but that anticoagulant they put in to keep blood flowing works.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Go swimming at goat island on lake greenwood at campsites 3 or 4 and you will get hundreds of baby leaches on you during the summer. There are literally millions of golden asian clams in that area, I assume the leaches latch onto them in some way.

I've pulled a few big ones off over the years.

Certain species are really dangerous.
    Last edited by BrandonWagner; 01-13-2017 at 02:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonWagner View Post
    Go swimming at goat island on lake greenwood at campsites 3 or 4 and you will get hundreds of baby leaches on you during the summer. There are literally millions of golden asian clams in that area, I assume the leaches latch onto them in some way.

I've pulled a few big ones off over the years.

Certain species are really dangerous.
    Sounds like a good place to swim
    "And ignoring people on here....that's like being home schooled. Just say you're not ready to face life." Highstrung

Hah.

I don't recommend it.

The anaconda leach I pulled off was in the saluda river at the trouts unlimited spot.

I guess they get thirsty in cold water too.
    Last edited by BrandonWagner; 01-13-2017 at 03:13 PM.

I never really saw any growing up around Wateree, but I had my first one latch on to me about sixteen years ago. It was right around the time my wife and I got married. I was near the upper dam holding my jon standing in thick shit while she was trying to use the little girls room. I got her back in, threw the dog in, jumped in myself, and saw one a couple inches long on my foot. I did the Rambo thing and slide it off with my knife, being all discrete about it. It wasn't until I was under power and a little down the lake that I noticed I bled everydamnwhere. I don't she's gotten out of the boat on that end of the lake since.

We're on the open water so we rarely see the tiny ones, you have to walk out to the clay line away from the sand. I didn't any this past summer, but if needed throwing out a salt block works around beaches.

I always get a big fucking Russian to cut them off with my own knife

Ive never seen big leeches out of Wateree. Ive pulled off a good many tiny ones though. They are normally so small they look like a flake of dirt until they stretch out. They like to get in between your toes. Ive never had more than 3 on me at a time though.

Yup. ^ Those are the ones at goat island. I had several between every one of my toes. I didn't count them, but it was more than a 100. I kept finding them hours after getting out of the water.
    Last edited by BrandonWagner; 01-13-2017 at 03:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    I always get a big fucking Russian to cut them off with my own knife

Cooler, but the boat ride would have been awkward.

Those little tiny ones will dry up in the sun and fall off as soon as you get out into the 90 degree heat

I've grabbed sand of the beach and rubbed them off with it.. They don't bother me, but the women and low latitude Yankees from Charlotte are just grossed out.