Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lease questions

Default Lease questions

I've never leased property, nor been a member of a Hunt club. That being said 50 acres in Hampton County was recently offered to me by a family friend for a lease. Had it previously leased to some guys from Florida and it sits between two other clubs. That is pretty much all I know about it. It's an hour or so drive from the house and to make it reasonably priced I'd need 3-4 total hunters to keep the costs down. I'd love to just be able to lease it just for me, and if it was closer I'd most certainly do it. But adding up the driving time and amount of time I'd actually get out there to hunt I just can't justify it this year.

I'm most concerned that 4 people hunting on only 50 acres would get small real quick like. I guess my biggest question is safely hunting 4 people an option? Weekends is when most hunting would occur and I'd imagine all 3-4 guys would end up on the property together almost all the time.

Way to many people, 2 max and even then it would feel small. Not sure of the property layout but on 50 acres a bad wind could leave you with 1 or 2 options to hunt at best

I have a 50 acre piece in Sumter county, and I would not be comfortable sitting more than 2 people at any given time, both for safety and for the chance of spooking the deer with scent and movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireman View Post
    Had it previously leased to some guys from Florida.
    The reason it may be priced high.

I would echo what the others say, two people max if hunted right.

4 people on 50 acres, holy shit I get crowded with 3 on a 1000.

what is the per acre cost?

Leasing hunting land behind Florida hunters is like leasing farming land behind sod farmers. They overpaid and raped the resources.

He wants 40 per acre. I felt it was high in the first place, but I held off on negations until I could do some homework.

We hunt 2 and occasionally 3 on 70ac and that feels very crowded. $40.00 an acre sounds to me like highway robbery. I pay $10.00 ac near Charlotte but then again we have had the lease for 20 years .

10 bucks an acre is about normal now.

Default Lease questions

$10-12 acre is what I have seen the past couple years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by b35w; 01-12-2017 at 11:23 PM.

Yea, all signs pointed to being high. I don't think he has ever leased any of his property to people who weren't out of state hunters.

I pay anywhere from $8-$10 acre upstate. My leases vary from 131 acres to 800 acres being the largest. $40/ acre seems super high. You can hunt 4 hunters on 50 acres of its laid out right but I wouldn't want to. I'd offer him $1,000 at most and hunt it myself or maybe include 1 other person that doesn't hunt much.
    Last edited by TheVisorGuy; 01-13-2017 at 12:09 AM.
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

I would tell him to put an add on Craigslist in Jacksonville, because no one in South Carolina was stupid enough to pay that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireman View Post
    He wants 40 per acre. I felt it was high in the first place, but I held off on negations until I could do some homework.
    Unless the property goes into the Savannah River, that price is waaay off base!
    Move on down the road Bro....
    Last edited by Calibogue; 01-13-2017 at 06:26 AM.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

I would kindly tell the family friend to go fuck himself with $40 per acre

Would also change "family friend" status to "that asshole we know".

No wonder you need to put 4 people on it. It's 4 times what the price should be.

20/acre unless it has amenities is a lot, but not unheard of. If hunting behind Florida hunters, don't expect much for a few years. 40/acre is ridiculous.

Some dog club will lease it. Perfect for 20 walkers with Garmins!

Small Lease this size should not be over $20.00 per acre. I lease 4 separate tracks in Allendale from 4 separate people, and none of them are over $16.00/acre.