Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Traps....

I had a buddy use the full metal jacket and it seems to be good. I wouldn't use normal paint or spray paint etc bc of the smell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trapping has rad lingo.

I reluctantly started trapping recently when a friggin' beaver was trying to flood my farm and I got tired of unclogging ditches and ditch pipes. If you get a bigass conibear, get the tongs with it. I didn't and instead rigged a gizmo to compress the springs but it gave me that nervous feeling the whole time I was messing with it. There's plenty of opportunity to hurt yourself with those sombitches. I'll have some tongs before I set it next time. I did catch a beaver on my first set and I hope the trap is empty when I check it this weekend.

I didn't take any of the precautions for trap prepping I've read about. I put a brand new shiny trap in a beaver slide with a couple logs to guide him in and he got caught the first night.

Beavers are a bitch to skin.

Use the rope method to set a conibear trap. I've tried the tongs, and feel much safer using rope.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

Here you go.

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,

Thomas Jefferson

Bridger #2 dogless for yotes, only need 2 coil version. Bridger 330's and Bridger #5's for Beaver.

Thanks for that video Fuzzy. You may have save me from a broken finger.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    Thanks for that video Fuzzy. You may have save me from a broken finger.
    Or worse. They guy that I bought mine from showed me how. He sold the tongs, but said the rope method was much safer in his opinion.

Thomas Jefferson

Default Traps....

Rope method looks great for conibears! I have used the tongs a few times and the tension on traps in general just makes me nervous.

I have never trapped a coyote before but recently bought some MB 550's and plan on giving it a go. I have watched some videos on trap sets and wanted to see what yall use bait wise. The reason I ask is because I have been able to bait the yote(s) in with duck carcasses, chicken, chicken soup, I would guess any aromatic food source would bring it in. I have them on camera and it normally takes them 2-3 days to find the bait. Does anyone try baiting with human food and have you tried suspending some sort of food/bait several feet off the ground and having foot holds set underneath? I know that the F&W used this method to trap the red wolves that escaped bull island. It seems like it would be pretty effective as the yote would come in and in theory be trying to stand/jump up to get the bait and be moving all around the trap sets. I would think a few footholds underneath would pretty much guarantee a catch. F&W was using chicken parts suspended from tree branches and had their rubber lined footholds attached to cinder blocks. I feel like I could set up a feed station and get them accustomed to a spot before I start working them over and would have pretty good success? Also, I bought non offset traps after reading on trapper forum and I see some of y'all recommended offset. I think some states require them? Beyond that, Is this kind of a personal preference thing? It seemed like some people like them and others dont. I saw that the offset allows a stronger hold but also saw plenty of posts where people had no problem w the non offsets. The offset also has a small gap when closed? That may allow certain critter to escape? School me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Islandguy85; 03-12-2017 at 12:34 PM.