Thread: School Me

Default School Me

Looking for some ideas for a budget AR. This is probably pretty vague, but I'm just looking for opinions.

Needs to:
    Shoot straight (let's be honest. It won't often, if ever, get shot further than 150 yards)
    Be just as fun to hunt with as to target shoot with
    Be fun to shoot for a variety of family members (wife, kids, etc.)
    Not break the bank

Needs not to:
    Suck.

What I know:
    Not much
    SBR is not an option due to this being a budget build. That is down the road.

And go!
    Last edited by surfcock; 01-09-2017 at 09:55 PM.

Psa freedom rifle
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

PSA build right now for less 550.

Could do a PSA complete build for $480 last week. Pretty damn close right now.

They've got blemished lowers for $50 right now. Or complete MOE blemeshed lowers for $150, I think. Add a complete upper for around $330 (last I checked) and you're in business.

I've thought about one just because it's so damned cheap, but I. JUST. DON'T. NEED. IT. (I keep telling myself that.)

Quote Originally Posted by USMCsilver View Post
    Could do a PSA complete build for $480 last week. Pretty damn close right now.

They've got blemished lowers for $50 right now. Or complete MOE blemeshed lowers for $150, I think. Add a complete upper for around $330 (last I checked) and you're in business.

I've thought about one just because it's so damned cheap, but I. JUST. DON'T. NEED. IT. (I keep telling myself that.)
    Same thing I am talking about. With tax and shipping. Around 530.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggie1976 View Post
    Same thing I am talking about. With tax and shipping. Around 530.
    Go pick your shit up on Fernandina Rd, and they'll refund your shipping charges.

Quote Originally Posted by USMCsilver View Post
    Go pick your shit up on Fernandina Rd, and they'll refund your shipping charges.
    For a 60 mile drive I'll pay the 14 bucks

Quote Originally Posted by Biggie1976 View Post
    For a 60 mile drive I'll pay the 14 bucks
    I don't blame you. However...on the FFL transfer, etc., it may be worth it for many folks. I just wanted to inform any newbies how that works.

Complete lower for $150: http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-a...=12%3a00+Email

Upper minus BCG for $190: http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-b...=12%3a00+Email

BCG & CH for $90: http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-5...=12%3a00+Email

Complete rifle for $430 plus tax. Doesn't get ANY better than that from there. You'd be hard pressed to do better elsewhere.
    Last edited by USMCsilver; 01-10-2017 at 12:04 PM.

Thanks for all the advice and help fellas!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

You got great advice but I'll be the dissenting voice. I LOVE the AR platform but I don't find a 5.56 isn't a particularly useful cartridge in our state for much more than coyote and armadillo shooting and plinking. We've had long threads on here about a .243 being (arguably) inadequate for deer yet a 5.56 slings bullets almost half the weight (105 grain max in .243 and 55 to ~75 grains in 5.56). It's too big for squirrels and too small for deer. Oh, it will kill a deer but so will a 17 grain 17HMR, eventually. It's not a deer cartridge.

It is a great plinking gun. Cheap, very little recoil, adequately accurate with factory and surplus stuff.

The rifle itself is fabulous. Extremely ergonomic, functional, fits anyone, adaptable, customizable and relatively inexpensive (if you don't get infected and carried away on the build).

Don't be fooled by the cheap entry prices. You'll buy your first AR and soon realize that it's close to what you wanted, but there is a bolt-on accessory that would make it perfect. As you look through the on-line catalogs for the little thing that will perfect your gun, you'll find three other things that catch your eye. When the one item you ordered shows up, it doesn't quell your appetite. You will decide to go ahead and indulge yourself and order the other couple items that will push your gun toward perfection. Again, as you narrow down the choices, the catalogs hide those couple items behind several other items that you never even considered. Even among the features that you know will perfect you gun, there are choices. Every manufacturer has a frustrating number of options and choices for every little upgrade. You will find yourself perusing online catalogs deep into the night, comparing the features and prices of upgrades that have now become essential. You already have too much invested in this gun to stop now. You passed the point of reason and practicality long ago. Whatever it takes to get this gun perfect. Then you realize, you're going to need another gun. This time, you'll get it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    Don't be fooled by the cheap entry prices. You'll buy your first AR and soon realize that it's close to what you wanted, but there is a bolt-on accessory that would make it perfect. As you look through the on-line catalogs for the little thing that will perfect your gun, you'll find three other things that catch your eye. When the one item you ordered shows up, it doesn't quell your appetite. You will decide to go ahead and indulge yourself and order the other couple items that will push your gun toward perfection. Again, as you narrow down the choices, the catalogs hide those couple items behind several other items that you never even considered. Even among the features that you know will perfect you gun, there are choices. Every manufacturer has a frustrating number of options and choices for every little upgrade. You will find yourself perusing online catalogs deep into the night, comparing the features and prices of upgrades that have now become essential. You already have too much invested in this gun to stop now. You passed the point of reason and practicality long ago. Whatever it takes to get this gun perfect. Then you realize, you're going to need another gun. This time, you'll get it right.
    I understand the concerns. I wouldn't be replacing my everday deer rifle, but would probably take it to the stand a few times each year. This is what worries me the most honestly, not so much the limitations of the guns themselves.

Buy one... there are tons of dumbasses that bought a shit pot full of rifles because of a Clinton presidency. The prices on used ARs are way down, waaaaay down.
    Quote Originally Posted by led0321 View Post
    I would vote for Hillary in 2020