Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Bill to ban dog hunting

Quote Originally Posted by PBiz View Post

So should turkey hunting be abolished because people trespass?
    Hey now...you wait just a damn minute! SC already f'd me over dropping tags to 3.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

What if I have property that is separated by a highway, somebody catches my dog, drives 5 miles and turns him aloose?

I pay a fine for someone stealing my hound and turning him loose somewhere else?

If you'll piss on a cornpile, you'll kidnap my hound, 9 times out of 10..
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

Quote Originally Posted by MKW View Post
    Hey now...you wait just a damn minute! SC already f'd me over dropping tags to 3.
    But bo, my little cousin took 27 pellets to the face/hands/chest/shins for a trespasser, do we do something about the entire sport because on an incident?

Or should I notify the proper authorities and burn his ass?

Personally, I believe that in order to prosecute or fine someone because their dogs strayed onto someone else's land, you should have to prove that the hunter had INTENT for the dog to go onto the other property. If you dump 5 walker dogs out on a 20 acre cutover, bad on you, you get fined. If you are hunting a 500 acre tract that you have the right to be on, and the pack runs across farmer brown's place on the way to Ft. Motte, tough titty, those dogs have done nothing to really disrupt the environment that they ran through. No harm, no foul.

This is my deal about reform..

We don't break the law, as a matter of fact we despise breaking the law..

Over the past 20 years we've had a few accidents.. Not involving a person or a dog getting shot, but does getting shot before the legal time..

One, a little boy (11) shot a buck down, and upon leaving his stand to look for him (exactly the opposite thing his dad told him to do) the "buck" ripped up and the boy put the whole load in his arse.. yeah, he killed a doe the first week of Sept..

Another guy had surgery where they had to break his chest open, so he shot a 20 gauge for a year. Anyhow, couple of does and a 4pt crossed the road, he waited and shot the buck leaving the road.. Rolled him at 40 steps.. Him and the doe didn't see that was 65 yds down the road..

Both cases were immediately reported to the proper authorities and GWs showed up and issued fines..

Saying that, what if my dogs collar went dead and they somehow got out of our fence, and caught on a neighboring property.. Then I would be fined?

Labeled as a rogue?

Because my hound crossed a line, and someone caught him?

We do our best to uphold the law, And will continue to do so.. But should dogs crossing a line on accident be treated the same as a game animal being taken illegally?

What if they were standing on the line and walked 20 feet in to catch one?

Just my thoughts
    Not directed at you, just giving feedback on the questions, PBiz.

These, more or less, "little things", like the dead collars and stepping over the line to grab a hound and such wouldn't be nearly a problem if there was a good relationship established with the adjoining landowners. They would be able to plainly see that you were/had made significant efforts to keep your hunt on your side, minimizing the impact on them. It may open doors down the road, you never know.

But bo, my little cousin took 27 pellets to the face/hands/chest/shins for a trespasser, do we do something about the entire sport because on an incident?

Was he hunting with Dick Cheney?

But then you get into discretion..

And that's a very bad D word in the legal system..

Can you lose your drivers license for having too many outted tail lights?

Should you get fined when your lab walks next door and pisses on the neighbors fire hydrant?

If any of those problems rose to levels where people were sufficiently pissed enough to get legislators to take action, then yes. There are enough problems with dog hunters that we've either reached or are about to get to that level, even if this particular bill doesn't go anywhere. And by the way, there are penalties in place for each of the activities listed above if aggrieved parties choose to pursue action. What penalties are in place for dog hunters?

Is your bottom line position that your right to dog hunt is so great that others' rights must yield and you should suffer no consequences when your actions affect others?

Yeah, I know where you are coming from. I was just messing.
    Where does it all stop?? That is the question...and a damn good question to ask.
    Like most social problems, if all parties involved would just use a little common sense and courtesy, the problem wouldn't exist.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ1965 View Post
    Was he hunting with Dick Cheney?
    No, but he still has scars on his face that he'll never get rid of..

Quote Originally Posted by MKW View Post
    Yeah, I know where you are coming from. I was just messing.
    Where does it all stop?? That is the question...and a damn good question to ask.
    Like most social problems, if all parties involved would just use a little common sense and courtesy, the problem wouldn't exist.
    I used Bo jokingly, and was mostly being a smartass..

I agree with what you said though..

Quote Originally Posted by luckydogger View Post
    I looked a little more and found this. This is way worse than the first one I posted.

A BILL

TO AMEND THE CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976, BY ADDING SECTION 50-11-325 SO AS TO DEFINE THE TERM "HUNTING DEER WITH A DOG", TO PROVIDE THAT A PERSON HUNTING DEER WITH A DOG MUST CAUSE THE DOG TO BE IDENTIFIED WITH A COLLAR, TO PROVIDE THE PROCEDURE WHEREBY A LOST DOG IS RETURNED TO ITS OWNER, TO PROVIDE THAT THE OWNER OF A DOG THAT TRESPASSES ON ANOTHER PERSON'S PROPERTY IS LIABLE FOR CIVIL DAMAGES, TO PROVIDE THAT IT IS UNLAWFUL TO STEAL, HARM, OR KILL A DOG IN PURSUIT OF A DEER THAT HAS IDENTIFIABLE OWNER INFORMATION OR REMOVE OR DESTROY ANY MEANS OF IDENTIFYING OR TRACKING THE DOG, TO PROVIDE THAT HUNTING DEER WITH A DOG IS UNLAWFUL ON A TRACT OF LAND THAT CONTAINS LESS THAN ONE THOUSAND ACRES UNLESS THE TRACT OF LAND IS ENCLOSED BY A FENCE, AND TO PROVIDE VARIOUS PENALTIES.

Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina:

SECTION 1. Article 3, Chapter 11, Title 50 of the 1976 Code is amended by adding:

"Section 50-11-325. (A) For purposes of this section, 'hunting deer with a dog' includes:

(1) the act of releasing or in any other way causing a dog to attempt to pursue or be in pursuit of deer;

(2) taking or attempting to take deer by aid of a dog; or

(3) participating in the pursuit of deer with a dog.

(B) A person must be considered hunting deer with a dog until the dog owner or his agent regains physical possession and control of the dog.

(C) Any person hunting deer with a dog must cause the dog to be identified with a collar bearing the dog owner's name and telephone number. A person who violates this subsection is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, must be fined not less than two-hundred dollars nor more than five-hundred dollars, or imprisoned for not more than thirty days.

(D) Any dog in pursuit of deer on property for which the dog's owner does not have permission to hunt that is found without a collar or without the name and telephone number of the owner on the collar may be considered to be 'running at large' and may be impounded under Section 47-3-40 at the request of the property owner.

(E) Any dog with identifiable owner information that is in pursuit of a deer is not considered to be 'running at large', and if restrained must be treated humanely. Its owner must be notified within twenty-four hours. If the owner of the dog cannot be notified, local authorities must be notified within the same twenty-four hour period. Any dog with identifiable owner information must be surrendered to the owner or his agent. In order to reclaim the dog the owner or his agent must:

(1) acknowledge ownership of the dog;

(2) pay the person restraining the dog fifty dollars; and

(3) furnish to the person restraining the dog the owner's name and address, and identify the property from which the dog originated.

A person who violates this provision is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, must be fined not less than two-hundred dollars nor more than five-hundred dollars, or imprisoned for not more than thirty days.

(F) The owner of a dog in pursuit of a deer that enters onto property for which the dog's owner does not have permission to hunt is subject to civil action by the owner of the property onto which the dog has entered. Damages for the first occurrence is one hundred dollars. For subsequence occurrences within three months by the same owner's dog or dogs, damages are two-hundred dollars per occurrence to a maximum of one-thousand dollars. These actions are nonjury matters and the magistrates court has concurrent jurisdiction with the circuit court.

(G) For five or more occurrences on the same day or more than five occurrences involving the same dog owner within three months, the activity is a public nuisance and the landowner may enjoin the activity and have a cause of action against the dogs, their owners, and the owner of land on which the dogs originated. Liability is established by proof of an intrusion by the dogs. Damages are equal to one-fifth of the current assessed value of the landowner's entire property.

(H) The prevailing party in any action brought pursuant to this section is entitled to the costs of the action and attorney's fees.

(I) It is unlawful to steal, harm, or kill a dog in pursuit of deer that has identifiable owner information or to remove or destroy any means of identification or tracking device from a dog. A person who violates the provisions of this subsection is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, must be fined not less than five hundred dollars nor more than ten thousand dollars, or imprisoned for not less than thirty days nor more than six months, or both per offense. In addition, each person convicted of a violation of this subsection shall pay restitution to the legal owner of the dog as determined by the court.

(J) Notwithstanding another provision of law, hunting deer with a dog is unlawful on a tract of land that contains less than one thousand contiguous acres unless the property is enclosed by a fence capable of enclosing dogs used for deer hunting. A person who violates this subsection is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, must be fined not more than one thousand dollars."

SECTION 2. This act takes effect upon approval by the Governor.

Look at part "E" #2. (Give the person restraining the dog $50 dollars.) Every crack head in the county will be riding the roads picking up any hunting dog they can to try to collect $50. You can pick up a dog anywhere and say he was on your property.
    A lot of people will be hog hunting....

If everyone would use common sense and show some common courtesy to their neighbors then there wouldn't be any problems. It's all the assholes out there who have to ruin it for everybody.

Pbiz, have you ever considered filming some of yalls hunts and how you do things and posting videos on YouTube. It might could help educate other hunters on how to do things the correct way. I'm just brainstorming here so feel free to disregard that comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Woodie View Post
    If everyone would use common sense and show some common courtesy to their neighbors then there wouldn't be any problems. It's just a few assholes out there who have to ruin it for everybody.
    I think this is more appropriate.

If everyone would use common sense and show some common courtesy to their neighbors then there wouldn't be any problems. It's all the assholes out there who have to ruin it for everybody.

Pbiz, have you ever considered filming some of yalls hunts and how you do things and posting videos on YouTube. It might could help educate other hunters on how to do things the correct way. I'm just brainstorming here so feel free to disregard that comment.
    You'll have to contact my talent agent..

Quote Originally Posted by JJ1965 View Post
    I think this is more appropriate.
    Yeah that's what I meant, should have proof read it before I hit post.

Quote Originally Posted by CAMO PAINT View Post
    Dog hunting kicks ass. If you have never been on a dog hunt you need to go on one.

No problem with this as long as you do it where you own, lease, or pay property tax. you do that, correct!

This man is passionate (in a good way,not the Rimini way) about his sport. We should all take a lesson from Mssr. Ballentine...

Nothing good can come from dog hunting videos on youtube.

Pbiz is right, they have broken no existing laws and they will tell you that to your face as their hounds are running through your lease or land. Some restrictions need to be put in place if dog hunting is to continue. It will take dog men to come together and present some "meaningful" changes that involve property rights if it is to continue, no any of that Yanzey McGill bullshit that passed several years ago. Love has this was phrased as a "Bill to Ban Dog Hunting" which it by no means was.