Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Bill to ban dog hunting

This thread is very interesting to me since I know nothing of this stuff.
    My take, so far, I don't think any heritage type hunting should ever be banned. BUT...it's obvious that something needs to be done to give recourse to the land holder that is continuously infringed upon. Question is "what"? I'd be mighty pissed if I planned a weekend of deer hunting that was ruined by some renegade dog hunters.
    What a mess! Certainly a hard problem to figure out and satisfy all involved.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

Quote Originally Posted by PBiz View Post
    There will always be a rogue in any form of hunting or business you ever partake in..
    Yes sir.

Quote Originally Posted by MKW View Post
    This thread is very interesting to me since I know nothing of this stuff.
    My take, so far, I don't think any heritage type hunting should ever be banned. BUT...it's obvious that something needs to be done to give recourse to the land holder that is continuously infringed upon. Question is "what"? I'd be mighty pissed if I planned a weekend of deer hunting that was ruined by some renegade dog hunters.
    What a mess! Certainly a hard problem to figure out and satisfy all involved.
    Come see me about the 3rd week of October..
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    It would not eliminate ours. Every single time the 1000 acre +30/30 Club dog hunts, we end up with dogs on our property for the rest of that weekend, effectively shutting down whatever deer hunting plans we may have had. Many a trip has been wasted when friends drove in from D.C. or Northern VA to deer hunt only to watch walker dogs wandering around all day Saturday and Sunday.
    Majority of problems not all problems.
    Become one with nature then marinate it.

Yall keep on harping on this they'll be trying to outlaw rabbit dogs next.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    Yep.
    Private Land Rubberhead # 1

Quote Originally Posted by uga_dawg View Post
    They'd just run then with no collars and say dem aint my dogs bo.
    Ok, require collars. My point is, rather than set up some restrictive, arbitrary system, tell the dog hunters to have at it...dog hunt however you'd like. But if your dogs invade someone else's PRIVATE property, break out your checkbook, and then eventually lose your license. Put the onus on them to do it right.

Come see me about the 3rd week of October..
    I would love to! I have no interest in even toting a gun...just want to see/hear it happen.

Are there any current regulations on how a deer hound must be identifiable as to who it's owner is??

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I hope like heck not.

Any law restricting hunting hurts all of us.

If your having problems with neighboring dog hunters talk to them. Better yet talk to the landowner and let them know how their members are ruining relationships for them with the neighbors.

This would of been a good topic to discuss in Oburg this past weekend.at the huddle house. Those who want to ban it, would definitely got a asswhippin .

I would love to! I have no interest in even toting a gun...just want to see/hear it happen.
    If you have never heard it, you are in for a treat. I remember being a kid, sitting in a big hardwood bottom listening to a pack of hounds strike and run for the river, wondering if they were going to come by you or not, if it was a buck or not, if you would make the shot or miss....I don't know if I can think of much that is more exciting. It was my Saturday morning therapy all fall and winter for the first 20 years of my life. I miss it.

This is my deal about reform..

We don't break the law, as a matter of fact we despise breaking the law..

Over the past 20 years we've had a few accidents.. Not involving a person or a dog getting shot, but does getting shot before the legal time..

One, a little boy (11) shot a buck down, and upon leaving his stand to look for him (exactly the opposite thing his dad told him to do) the "buck" ripped up and the boy put the whole load in his arse.. yeah, he killed a doe the first week of Sept..

Another guy had surgery where they had to break his chest open, so he shot a 20 gauge for a year. Anyhow, couple of does and a 4pt crossed the road, he waited and shot the buck leaving the road.. Rolled him at 40 steps.. Him and the doe didn't see that was 65 yds down the road..

Both cases were immediately reported to the proper authorities and GWs showed up and issued fines..

Saying that, what if my dogs collar went dead and they somehow got out of our fence, and caught on a neighboring property.. Then I would be fined?

Labeled as a rogue?

Because my hound crossed a line, and someone caught him?

We do our best to uphold the law, And will continue to do so.. But should dogs crossing a line on accident be treated the same as a game animal being taken illegally?

What if they were standing on the line and walked 20 feet in to catch one?

Just my thoughts

This is my deal about reform..

We don't break the law, as a matter of fact we despise breaking the law..

Over the past 20 years we've had a few accidents.. Not involving a person or a dog getting shot, but does getting shot before the legal time..

One, a little boy (11) shot a buck down, and upon leaving his stand to look for him (exactly the opposite thing his dad told him to do) the "buck" ripped up and the boy put the whole load in his arse.. yeah, he killed a doe the first week of Sept..

Another guy had surgery where they had to break his chest open, so he shot a 20 gauge for a year. Anyhow, couple of does and a 4pt crossed the road, he waited and shot the buck leaving the road.. Rolled him at 40 steps.. Him and the doe didn't see that was 65 yds down the road..

Both cases were immediately reported to the proper authorities and GWs showed up and issued fines..

Saying that, what if my dogs collar went dead and they somehow got out of our fence, and caught on a neighboring property.. Then I would be fined?

Labeled as a rogue?

We do our best to uphold the law, And will continue to do so.. But should dogs crossing a line on accident be treated the same as a game animal being taken illegally?

Just my thoughts
    PBiz, you ask these questions as if you're not the one undertaking the activity that leads to the infraction. Yes, keep your dogs on your property or run the risk of getting fined. I think you could mitigate the risk of incurring a fine under my hypothetical proposal if you a) truly only had once in a blue moon incidents and b) developed relationships with your neighbors so they're not looking to burn you for the first problem. Those two conditions are not hard to achieve for folks who do it right. But, yes, at the end of the day, I think the bedrock principle of preserving private property rights is worth putting a strong incentive in place to encourage dog hunters to do it right.

To PBiz, I agree with the part about neighbors doing shady stuff to try to get dog hunters in trouble. However, if your collar went dead and your dog got off your property, you'd need to pay the fine. I had a running light break on my boat after dark one time. When the GW stopped me, he didn't care that it was working earlier, only that it wasn't working now. Same principle.....I was still breaking the law.

Point is, I think that issuing heavy fines to those breaking the law is the only way to save dog hunting, along with acreage restrictions. I don't dog hunt, but I did a few times when I was a kid. I really don't have a proverbial dog in the fight, but would really like to see dog hunting saved. I"m just not sure its possible at this point due simply to population growth.
    Last edited by SCSwitchback; 01-12-2017 at 02:44 PM.

Labeled as a rogue?

Just my thoughts
    My thoughts. Guys like you are doing the thing the right way, and I have no problem. What I do have a problem with is when two trucks pull up on the public road on one side of my property and drop two packs of walkers and head them into the woods. Then their buddies, a half mile away on the other side, start hollering and calling the dogs, who then proceed to rip up my space and run the deer out, where they are shot at on the public roads , and away the guys go to find someone else's property to run dogs over. We saw a lot of this back in the day when my dad and I used to run dogs...there were groups with no land and no leases running their dogs over our place, and everyone else's every single Saturday. These dogs did not have collars, the trucks did not have license plates, and the so called "hunters" had no respect or morals. Probably no hunting licenses either. I never shot another man's dog, but I do know of quite a few of our club members that shot at not only dogs , but also the trucks of the guys that dropped them. Of course, it was a different time back then.

I still hunt exclusively now, and I have had no problem with dog hunters since I started. I have been sitting on a bean field when a pack of hounds runs a deer through the field, and 15 minutes later, the field is full of deer again. I do not think the occasional pass through by a pack of dogs running a single deer does much if anything to really disturb my hunting, not any more than the deer leaving the field before the coyotes show up, then pop back out when they are gone.

I can't speak for everyone else, but as someone who has been very involved in both types of hunting, I just do not see why we can't all get along. Take steps to get to know the people around you...try to handle problems before they get bad. And if you can't, get the law involved. Because if we outlaw one form of hunting, you can bet its gone for good, and its just another step towards ALL hunting being banned.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ1965 View Post
    If you have never heard it, you are in for a treat. I remember being a kid, sitting in a big hardwood bottom listening to a pack of hounds strike and run for the river, wondering if they were going to come by you or not, if it was a buck or not, if you would make the shot or miss....I don't know if I can think of much that is more exciting. It was my Saturday morning therapy all fall and winter for the first 20 years of my life. I miss it.
    I have heard rabbit dogs, coon hounds, and hog dogs, but never been on a hunt with deer hounds. Would be quite interesting. From what I hear, it's as much about the whole coordination of the hunt and the fellowship as it is about the deer that makes it so special to folks.

I have heard rabbit dogs, coon hounds, and hog dogs, but never been on a hunt with deer hounds. Would be quite interesting. From what I hear, it's as much about the whole coordination of the hunt and the fellowship as it is about the deer that makes it so special to folks.
    This is very true. Made a lot of great memories sitting around the fire until midnight after the hunt was over, listening to my dad and the other guys telling stories and blowing that horn to call the dogs back in. A lot of guys I still consider my heroes in those memories.
    Last edited by JJ1965; 01-12-2017 at 02:50 PM.

Can you lose your drivers license for having too many outted tail lights?

Should you get fined when your lab walks next door and pisses on the neighbors fire hydrant?

So should turkey hunting be abolished because people trespass?