Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Bill to ban dog hunting

Lack of hogs are
    Also attributed to deer hounds running the snot out of them, making them flee across the fence before the second full week of September..

As well as the coyotes..
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    the commentary since my post reinforce the popular belief that doggers will not compromise, I am a dogger and I understand we WILL lose our way of hunting unless we can keep our dogs and our self on our own land-PERIOD_END OF STORY- I DON'T GIVE A FUCK WHAT IT TAKES TO MAKE IT HAPPEN, but if it don't happen in the near future kiss doggin goodbye !

nobody cares about your dogs, or how expensive the collars are- or that Billy can't dog hunt anymore cause he can't pay the fines- all they care about is keeping us OFF THEIR LAND.

now- an open invitation to anyone- you are welcome to come participate on a dog hunt next season and I will pay your visitors fee($40) after September 15th( we can shoot does) any Saturday. Just let me know ahead of time to make sure I'm not offshore fishing.

Get your head out of your ass and understand what you will lose if changes are not made.
    Bad Habit gets it. I grew up on a dog club, but have not hunted that way in years. I hate to see come, but the end of a tradition is nearing, unless dog hunters can get a handle on things. The "anti dog hunters" can believe what they want to, but every aspect of hunting that is lost is a nail in the coffin to ending it all. There are extremist on both sides, but name calling will do nothing but drive a bigger wedge between the two side. I don't know the solution, but it is out there.

Quote Originally Posted by PBiz View Post
    If you had 4-5000 acres with a pair of deep pockets, would you build a legal fence around it?
    I've was wondering that my self.

I asked could I build a high fence a few years back and the answer was absolutely no!

Then they came back and said a 3 sided fence was ok. But with out getting your neighbors to help a 3 sided doesn't work.

SO back to your thoughts if they do not clarify fence height (and it is part of a bill that passes), this could be a very sneaky way of legalizing a pen.

40" hog wire does a fine job keeping hounds in..

Good, please legalize high fence operations.. I think you can fence in the entire property with anything 6' and shorter..

Here's how you sell it though*****

Predator control and property rights***

Coyotes ate my entire deer population.. it had nothing to do with us killing every doe that came out.

We need us a fence to keep the predators out and "our" deer in..

Then everyone with deer on their camera wouldn't have to worry about someone else killing them..

Ps, as smart as a hog is a fence is his nemeses..

We don't have near the swine we once did, because the dummies just walk back and forth, up and down it..
    I get a few people that don't believe me when I tell them we really don't have problems with hogs. The times they surge in is when there's been problems with I20's Fence. A few will come in off the riverbanks, I've seen them, and killed a couple. There will be a sign or two in the city side, but we've had chuffa that hasn't been touched in two years. It's been at least five since I've seen or killed a hog.

Now, I've seen a few around duck ponds that were just trashed.

They need a bigger area fenced in.. Don't put fence 30ft away from food..

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy View Post
    Bad Habit gets it. I grew up on a dog club, but have not hunted that way in years. I hate to see come, but the end of a tradition is nearing, unless dog hunters can get a handle on things. The "anti dog hunters" can believe what they want to, but every aspect of hunting that is lost is a nail in the coffin to ending it all. There are extremist on both sides, but name calling will do nothing but drive a bigger wedge between the two side. I don't know the solution, but it is out there.
    No offense but, I hear that said all the time too.

But to assume that the red blooded killing machine who is popping cow horns off is all of a sudden going to stop hunting all together (no matter what they tell you) is insane.

It is just like the folks who said they would leave the country if Trump got elected. The dog guys say: "I will quit hunting if they ban dog."

They will no more quit hunting than those bafoons left the country after Trump won.

I hear that too often.

The whole argument of it driving a wedge is false too once you only have one way I would wager you, that you will tighten the ranks.

If dog hunting dies it will be a martyr to the hunting world in the end.

Again I do not want to see it gone, but I am attempting to destroy many of these long held beliefs an common mantras chanted by the doggers.

I will even wager you that most of the dog guys left if they lost their dog rights would not only embrace management, but would become some of the most fervent food plot planting machines the south has ever seen.

They need a bigger area fenced in.. Don't put fence 30ft away from food..
    It's like my everyday coffee stop at my gas station, they won't quit putting those reese cups on the counter. Damn easter egg reeses.

Quote Originally Posted by M1A1 View Post
    Anyone on here a member of Buckhead club in Brancheville?
    I was until a few years ago. Why?
    "My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt

The 40' hog wire does do a fairly good job if you have long runs of it.

I have one spot that the neighbors have the fence an once the spring planting gets under way it is a slaughter fest.

They have no were to go.

As much as you like killing deer I love killing pigs!
    To hear that squeal in the dark as the gasp for air.....ahhh! Quite invigorating and a great time.
    I traded in my blood lust for deer for pigs. No one argues how big they are. Everyone wants you to kill them. Folks call an open up property that no one has deer hunted in years for you to go get rid of the beast.

Now if they ever start a tag system for pigs I will be at every meeting fighting that!

The higher powers will figure it out. We can go at each other's throats till we are:

Quote Originally Posted by Silentweapon338 View Post
    I will even wager you that most of the dog guys left if they lost their dog rights would not only embrace management, but would become some of the most fervent food plot planting machines the south has ever seen.
    Not the ones around me. They can hardly afford a vehicle, can't take care of their hounds, can't afford tracking equipment, etc. They "dog hunt" the 75 acres that the "et al" owns and the 50 acres that the second cousin in NY owns, etc. If they lost the ability to "dog hunt" I do not see them becoming fervent still hunters who plant and maintain. There are a few big dog clubs in this area that would fall into that category, but there are WAY more "dog hunters" that do not.
    Become one with nature then marinate it.

Robbie,

Would you support a line item in a bill:

-Leased land to be 500 acres, Owned land to be 150 acres to dog hunt
    -A license to turn loose dogs, where the strikes follow the individual, not the club

Oh yeah, if you want me to keep my dogs on my property, then give me more buck tags than I could ever shoot..

Sometimes deer have to be killed in order to stop the hounds..

Will all types of hunting dogs be affected in this bill? I.e., fox,cat,rabbit,hog,coon,duck?

I will support any measures to keep dog hunting around. Never dog hunted for deer a day in my life but if you give em an inch they will take a mile.
    Private Land Rubberhead # 1

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy View Post
    The "anti dog hunters" can believe what they want to, but every aspect of hunting that is lost is a nail in the coffin to ending it all.
    These words, "anti-dog hunters", are not representative of reality. I would bet my truck that the vast majority of people who live near areas where dog hunting occurs have a positive opinion of hunting or no opinion of hunting, which is to say they don't care either way. The words should be changed to "anti-nuisance hunters" because this is what they're up against. It's reasonable for people to push back when they're private property rights are continually infringed.

As to the other often parroted comment about "a nail in the coffin for all hunting", that's just stupid. It's not true. If all hunting becomes a nuisense then we've got problems. But hunting in general isn't going anywhere.

But I'm tired of hearing about this topic and I don't care one way or the other. If it's annoying to me, someone who doesn't care, what do you think the representatives who have to listen to this repetitive stupidity think? They're probably tired of it. And eventually, they're going to take out the trash. Govern yourselves accordingly.

If this ban passes, the forestry department will be busy, tire business will off the chain and camper business will be good. Repercussions from a disgruntled hunter is endless.

I hate to descriminate but I would only provide these rules apply to deer an fox hounds an the practice of hunting deer or foxes.

These are the 2 that require or premote running across the country side in a manner that is hard to control via property lines.

Rabbit hunting has progressed to the point everyone left has small dogs that will obey collar commands.
    Coon hunting is very personal an typically do not lead to circumstances were multiple people trucks an dogs are routinely violating anything but the coon. Do the dogs leave tracks sure but it is a totally different situation typically.
    Anything could be abused.
    But I would not lump all dog hunting in the same boat.

I feel like we are getting some where here.
    I'm enjoying this exchange.

Stopping the dogs should not be contingent on stopping the deer. I know what you mean but there has to be another way. If we figure that out the problem will be 60% fixed. I remeber focusing more on stopping the deer in order to stop the dogs because the dogs in theory will stop with the deer but that doesn't always work. The deer may be missed an this they continue or you may have the dog that can't be caught by anyone but uncle buck. He jumps again an off they go. So focusing on truly stopping the dogs needs the onice.

I think forcing the clubs to come up with another alternative will alleviate the problem or help.

Remeber it is time to think out side the box.

What use to work isn't good enough. Time to change.

More buck tags?

I'm sympathetic to dog clubs in this regard again I feel like tags will tear apart dog clubs faster than anything has to date.
    I'm personally not ok with this.
    I'd be willing to discuss it but if this is a option I want fines more so than what I originally prescribed.
    It would have to truly keep you on your property an I want acrage restrictions as well if buck tags are up.
    500 owner or 1k lease if more tags are issued.
    There is to much room for the buck tags to be abused by the same crowd needing to be reined in if not.
    Deer do move an that is why some restrictions are needed so Bubba can't shoot 16 bucks off his 100 acre lease.
    So if that is a bargaining chip you have to come back with more concessions on your side.
    No matter what happens not more than 1 buck per 25 acres.
    Does 1 per 5 acres.

Quote Originally Posted by Timsmith View Post
    If this ban passes, the forestry department will be busy, tire business will off the chain and camper business will be good. Repercussions from a disgruntled hunter is endless.
    Whose trees are they going to burn and whose tires are they going to ruin, Tim? Their legislators'? Not sure what you are saying about campers.