Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Bill to ban dog hunting

Quote Originally Posted by MKW View Post
    LOL...I'm not a dog hunter, but I tend to agree with you. In general, from what I've seen in SC is folks just pour out corn and put up a stand. There's really no skill in that. I grew up learning to deer hunt in GA when baiting was illegal. I have never in my life knowingly set over bait to deer hunt. The one club that I got into in SC(just to turkey hunt) actually had a rule that you couldn't hunt more than 100yrds from a road. There was no thought of looking for travel routes, hunting scrapes, or rub lines. I was really surprised at the lack of actual deer hunting knowledge.
    Maybe they should make laws on dog hunting and baiting in the same bill. That would get everybody mad. It would be fun to watch!
    I had to hunt GA before baiting was illegal in college. If you took peoples corn away they would riot worse than taking their food stamps.

This is the problem an the reason why dog hunting will get shut down. If folks espousing this non-sense are allowed to have a place at the table during any sort of talks.

The problem isn't the method. The problem is the consequences of a particular method.

This is one of the red hearings always thrown up but, has no merit. Trying to sell the advantage of of dog hunting is great, but what does it have to do with private property rights? No one is trying to get you to stop dog hunting because they don't want to be perceived as lazy by just hunting over corn. You are either missing the point why folks are mad or you are intentionally or maybe, unintentionally by just repeating a mantra some other moron has conjured up, denying the heart of the problem. PRIVATE PROPERTY RIGHTS

Dumping a tractor trailer load of corn out on MY property has no direct impact on you and your property.

Turning 20 hounds loose on my property can in fact directly impact your property. If the hounds leave my property they now have become a issue. If I could keep the 20 hounds on my property no one would be having this discussion.

So why do dog hunter immediately attack a method of hunting different than their own, but has zero association with the problem?

To deny responsibility.

By belittling one or more methods of hunting and championing the benefits as well as the hard work that is takes to make another method work doesn't all of a sudden make trespassing ok.

This has to stop and the responsible ones are going to have to rein in an or get rid of this mind set either by educating or simply by segregating themselves publicly from folks who can not understand the true issue and only issue is PRIVATE PROPERTY RIGHTS.

Well said Silent. My kids do the same thing. When I'm talking to one about their behavior, they try to turn the conversation to what the other one did the other day. Maybe next we'll get the argument that someone else told them to.

When I was a kid at a dog hunting club I could not stand to watch the doggers catching them. They screamed at their dogs while they drug them to the box and roughed them up with a kick or a slap after catching them,,, for not coming to them.

How does beating your dog train him to come?
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Duck Tape-I would let some of your colleagues know of the discussions going on here, might open some eyes instead of listening to phone calls from people that have seen the misleading "bill to ban dog hunting". Silent has it exactly right, as long as I do nothing to impact your enjoyment of your land then we don't have a problem. Bow hunt, bait, trap etc., have at it, once you or your hounds cross the property boundary, we have a problem.

I doesn't, but what's your point? You hunted with some dumbasses??

When they first outlawed top dressing wheat for dove hunting, people didn't stop hunting. They just planted sunflower fields.

Anyone who thinks that outlawing deer baiting will stop deer hunting is crazy.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

The noise from gunfire in an adjoining or even nearby dove field or a duck blind directly impacts my property as well as the toxic lead shot from a dove field falling on it. A treestand with a rifle hunter on a property line can affect my property. Class action suits can impact everyone.

Not enjoying dog hunting is flat out unAmerican.

How many of you folks would allow a neighbor to track a deer that had been shot, through yalls property?

Would you let them carry a weapon?
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

We don't really have that problem, but I would open the gates if the neighbor was respectful or I knew him well. It all depends on the building up to that point.

Quote Originally Posted by PBiz View Post
    How many of you folks would allow a neighbor to track a deer that had been shot, through yalls property?

I would as long as they talked to me first. My neighbor and I have already discussed it. And we would have no problems if either of us tracked a deer across the line. But I still would give him a heads up first in case someone was hunting that area.

I'd have no problem letting a dog hunter onto my farm to retrieve their dog. As long as they asked. But they have never asked. They sit on the road and wait for him to come out.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    We don't really have that problem, but I would open the gates if the neighbor was respectful or I knew him well. It all depends on the building up to that point.
    Quote Originally Posted by uga_dawg View Post
    I would as long as they talked to me first. My neighbor and I have already discussed it. And we would have no problems if either of us tracked a deer across the line. But I still would give him a heads up first in case someone was hunting that area.

I'd have no problem letting a dog hunter onto my farm to retrieve their dog. As long as they asked. But they have never asked. They sit on the road and wait for him to come out.
    Both very refreshing answers..
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

Quick question......did the "renegade dog hunter act" help this situation at all?

They will drag ass with any discussion at the round table, it will be years before they decide on what to do. But if it affects the dog hunting severely, be prepared to pay or even lose still hunting land to the influx of hunters wanting land. Big land owners are money driven. Your nail driven into dog hunting coffin, may be the one driven in your land lease. I seen it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by PBiz View Post

Yes, and yes. On the property I hunt, I have not only allowed a hunter from the adjacent property track a wounded deer onto my property, I helped him track it, and assisted in dragging it back to his truck. I would never ask someone tracking a wounded deer to leave his weapon behind, as the main objective is to end the animal's suffering as quickly as possible and recover the meat.

That being said, my son shot a big buck that ran off of the opposite side of our property onto a hunting club, and one of their guys spent half the night helping us recover the deer and get it back to our truck.

We are very lucky to have good neighbors.

Pbiz- yes and yes. All renegade hunting bill did was give dogmen legal recourse should something happen to there hounds while trespassing. I still see standers on the side of the road which I thought this would take care of.

Quote Originally Posted by Timsmith View Post
    They will drag ass with any discussion at the round table, it will be years before they decide on what to do. But if it affects the dog hunting severely, be prepared to pay or even lose still hunting land to the influx of hunters wanting land. Big land owners are money driven. Your nail driven into dog hunting coffin, may be the one driven in your land lease. I seen it happen.
    Nobody will pay this much attention right now, but its a VERY valid point and I'm glad you made it Tim.

Quote Originally Posted by aquaman View Post
    Pbiz- yes and yes. All renegade hunting bill did was give dogmen legal recourse should something happen to there hounds while trespassing. I still see standers on the side of the road which I thought this would take care of.
    Are you not allowed to stand/hunt by the road of said property you own or lease while running dogs? I thought you could but wasn't 100% sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Lug nut View Post
    Are you not allowed to stand/hunt by the road of said property you own or lease while running dogs? I thought you could but wasn't 100% sure.
    You can only hunt a road if you own or lease both sides. One of my favorite stands is a ground blind in a bend of a secondary road. I can see 200 yards both ways!
    Last edited by Cottontop74; 01-17-2017 at 12:07 PM.