Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Bill to ban dog hunting

Fox hunting can cause issues also. Those three counties are too heavily populated to dog hunt with out issues.
    Last edited by SC REBEL; 01-15-2017 at 08:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SC REBEL View Post
    Fox hunting can cause issues also. Those three counties are too heavily populated to dog hunt with out issues.
    Are you the census man?
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

Quote Originally Posted by CurLee View Post
    Ho...lee.......fug.....there you have it folks.

Thes are the cocksucke-teurs we have making the decisions round 'herr.... Cant quite figure out who the reach-around is intended for here....
    First, Cur Dog, act like you have some sense. I have never dodged an issue since I joined SC Ducks despite being in the legislature. This issue comes up EVERY term. Why? Because there are some unethical doggers but in reality no dogger can guarantee his dog will not trespass even short legged beagles with collars in a 10 ft pen.

Sportsmen must stick together. There are plenty of anti-hunters and easily persuaded fake lumberjacks, liberals and metro-sexuals that can out vote us all.

Sometimes reasonable laws are made because everyone is not reasonable. I would most likely support reasonable legislation that allows dogging to continue. I will never vote to outlaw it.
    Last edited by Duck Tape; 01-15-2017 at 09:18 PM.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

This discussion belongs in the Outdoor Legislation forum.

I have been holding out for a while
    Background- lifelong dog hunter and still hunter
    former dog pack owner with the baddest and fastest that we killed plenty deer with( not catchable)
    former owner of a 2 dog slow pack that we killed plenty deer with ( could 99% catch without tracking collars)
    current member of a still/dog club with around 5000 contiguous acres

this is what I see needs to happen to keep the sport long term for our grandkids

registration requirements
    dog owner/ dog registration- similar to packs at SRS
    pack limit 3 dogs( most packs have a trail dog/ jump dog and the rest are me too's)
    maximum size 15 inches at the shoulder
    all dogs must have gps tracking/shock collars and positive owner registration number on the collar and microchipped

1st violation of above= loss of firearm and hunting license for 1 year from infraction
    2nd = loss of firearm/ vehicle and 5 years
    3rd = loss of firearm/vehicle and lifetime hunting ban
    This is to stop renegades from running whatever dog they can find without ID etc.- if Mr. green jeans stops you with shotgun/buckshot and a dog box full without the above = guilty

nuisance dog penalties
    LANDOWNER CATCHES DOG ON HIS PROPERTY ONLY
    1st offense $100 per dog
    2nd offense $500 per dog
    3rd- $1000 per dog and loss of right to keep a dog pack

Trespassing to dog hunt or catch dogs
    !st offense $500
    2nd offense $1000 and loss of hunting for 1 year
    3rd offense $5000 and loss of hunting for 5 years

pass the law- give them 1 year to get legal and put the hammer down

I love dog hunting, so do my sons and grandsons- we also still hunt, and despise trespassers- ask and have permission or stay the hell off. It is your responsibility to catch your dogs WITHOUT trespassing- if you can't spend the time to catch them when they come to a road- you shouldn't be allowed to have them.

I am also a family property owner that will lose the ability to hunt our property with dogs if the contiguous acres comes into play, our family farm is 1000+ acres but broken up into smaller blocks.
    Family farm hunts with a couple dogs at thanksgiving and Christmas are a timeless tradition that should not go away.

Flame on.

The answer will need to come from responsible dog hunters.

Dogs shouldn't have a size req..

Tresspassing to hunt or catch dogs should be the same penalty as those laws already in place for tresspassing and tresspassing to hunt..

The GPS deal doesn't work.. Those folks will just lose their license sooner, or they have superior trained hounds..

"1st violation of above= loss of firearm and hunting license for 1 year from infraction
    This is to stop renegades from running whatever dog they can find without ID etc.- if Mr. green jeans stops you with shotgun/buckshot and a dog box full without the above = guilty"

That's a worse penalty that most get for murder.. What if my dog was 15' as a 2 year old, and grows another inch or 2... Am I supposed to quit hunting him because he hit a growth spurt?
    What if I can only afford the regular GPS collars w/out the training device?

I agree with applying for a license to turn dogs loose and having the proper identification..

But it doesn't matter if the dog is naked as a jay bird or has more crap around his neck than Mr. T, the penalty is the same if caught..

Nuisance dog penalties, each starting over with a new season..

Documented verbal warning, added to your portfolio
    $100 fine for second offense
    $250 fine for third offense (paid before you can resume hunting)
    $500 fine for 4th offense and forced to re-apply for dog hunting license following year
    $100 fee for dog registration, per man

Good way to go around this whole deal is speak with your neighboring still clubs, make an undocumented deal that you will pay them "x" amount of dollars reward per dog, to eliminate the need for DNR.

Quote Originally Posted by PBiz View Post
    Dogs shouldn't have a size req..

Tresspassing to hunt or catch dogs should be the same penalty as those laws already in place for tresspassing and tresspassing to hunt..

The GPS deal doesn't work.. Those folks will just lose their license sooner, or they have superior trained hounds..

"1st violation of above= loss of firearm and hunting license for 1 year from infraction
    This is to stop renegades from running whatever dog they can find without ID etc.- if Mr. green jeans stops you with shotgun/buckshot and a dog box full without the above = guilty"

That's a worse penalty that most get for murder.. What if my dog was 15' as a 2 year old, and grows another inch or 2... Am I supposed to quit hunting him because he hit a growth spurt?
    What if I can only afford the regular GPS collars w/out the training device?

I agree with applying for a license to turn dogs loose and having the proper identification..

But it doesn't matter if the dog is naked as a jay bird or has more crap around his neck than Mr. T, the penalty is the same if caught..

Nuisance dog penalties, each starting over with a new season..

Documented verbal warning, added to your portfolio
    $100 fine for second offense
    $250 fine for third offense (paid before you can resume hunting)
    $500 fine for 4th offense and forced to re-apply for dog hunting license following year
    $100 fee for dog registration, per man

Good way to go around this whole deal is speak with your neighboring still clubs, make an undocumented deal that you will pay them "x" amount of dollars reward per dog, to eliminate the need for DNR.
    PBiz is correct. The size of the dog doesn't matter, but the breed can help get you in trouble a lot quicker.

Also, those penalties are way to severe, as Pbiz said.

Here's the bottom line, the Georgia Proposal was a good one but was rejected by the dog hunters because they had Yancy McGill on their side to stop any legislation.

The head of the Georgia Dog Hunters Association came and talked about the success of their law. He told them.........."it saved dog hunting in our state,.......................but folks, you are going to have to get rid of your Walker hounds."

That was the end of the cooperation, when he told them the cold hard truth.

I'm gonna try my best to put some thinking heads together and get some things moving in a positive direction soon..

What does the Georgia rule consist of and how do they things compared to Va, Al, Ms, Fl?

Anybody from those states have any input?

Georgia is coming tomorrow to discuss with legislators about their law and try to help put some things in place that will help keep dog hunting legal in SC

I'll leave this link for you Pbiz. It gives a little insight as to the realistic way the law works in Georgia. Notice the amount of "we try and do it right" dog hunters openly talking about their dogs getting onto other people's property. The sport has been adopted by a large majority of citizens who don't care about others property rights. The bad apples out weigh the good ones.

http://forum.gon.com/archive/index.php/t-735308.html

Quote Originally Posted by marsh chicken View Post
    I'll leave this link for you Pbiz. It gives a little insight as to the realistic way the law works in Georgia. Notice the amount of "we try and do it right" dog hunters openly talking about their dogs getting onto other people's property. The sport has been adopted by a large majority of citizens who don't care about others property rights. The bad apples out weigh the good ones.

I love the sentiment from the last poster in this thread that dogs that can only be caught by the owner are how to stay out of trouble. If they cannot catch your dog they cannot give you a ticket...

I do think that attitudes have changed since 2013..

Just pass a law saying dogs can only chase 4 does a year and only chase bucks with at least 4 on one side and spreads outside the ears.

Simple and too the point.

That way if a dog does run a deer on to your land you know it's QDDMA approved.

Quote Originally Posted by marsh chicken View Post

I have not heard of any infractions between neighboring clubs and the one you're a member of. I know and talk with members of Briar Creek, Nanny goat and Midway regularly. If the dogs are such a problem, like you talk about all these clubs should be shut down. If your club isn't reporting issues the GW can't do his job.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Just pass a law saying dogs can only chase 4 does a year and only chase bucks with at least 4 on one side and spreads outside the ears.

Simple and too the point.

That way if a dog does run a deer on to your land you know it's QDDMA approved.
    Most deer are now diabetic after the large scale introduction of "big buck corn". Deer now choose to walk or saunter onto adjacent property.

Quote Originally Posted by SC REBEL View Post
    New Jersey has space for you. Southern Charleston county is home to some pretty large tracts. Dorchestor county is home to some even larger tracts. In fact I hunt several tracts in Dorchestor county that are over 3,000 ac contiguous and you cant hear a car on the highway but I guess that is too populated to turn a hound loose.

Dog men need to do a better job of policing dog men to start and laws on the books need to be enforced before we start looking at any new laws. Redhead made mention of keeping dogs in a block, I watched him do it a few weeks ago at my house when we invited them to come hunt. Those dogs stayed in a 180ac block for over 4 hours and I don't believe a single dog got out.
    cut\'em

And another thing.

If Bill is so hell bent on banning dog hunting he needs to move to upstate or maybe New Jersey.

All you guys that own assault weapons and or smoke pot really need to tell the mass shooters and meth heads to tone it down a notch as well..