Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Bill to ban dog hunting

Quote Originally Posted by PBiz View Post
    How many acres do you hunt/own?

Is a pack of dogs running a deer through your property more of a nuisance than a pack of coyotes/hogs/raccoons that reside there?

I'm not condoning dogs on your property, just asking?

What do you do to "grow deer", eliminate predators, manage your property?

Has Fish and Wildlife been notified that there has been a problem on your property with dogs?

Have they done anything?
    Why are you resisting any responsibility for dog hunters' actions, including your own? You want to shift the burden to the infringed-upon landowner...fuck that. Let's shift the burden to the infringers. A stiff fine system followed by loss of license should do the trick. And guess what, if you truly do it right, no need to worry. Earlier, you suggested registration and paying $100 for a dog license...so, what is that? A license to let your dogs run to hell and back? People say you do it right, and I don't doubt that. But your responses don't give much reason for optimism for folks who own land and get visited by deer dogs on a regular basis. Messing up another man's deer hunt is just part of the equation. The main part, at least for me, is the idea that no other man OR HIS PROPERTY should be on my land without my permission...period. That's a central tenet of private property rights.

I'm not resisting.. Well kinda.. I truly hope every piece of trash, rogue dog hunter would have never picked up the sport..

I guess I have some resistance, because I don't want a minor violation to end the sport for me..

We have hunted as a group since 37' and have actually been a club since 52'..

All the while, going above and beyond to appease our neighbors.. We have "done it right bo"..

So now, one land owner can end it all with a letter, no matter how minor the violation..

It's a sinking ship, that I don't have a whole lot of answers to fix..

Maybe if people have to register and or have a license, that would cut the majority of the problem out..

Dogs on my property, don't ruin my day, dog hunters on my property are a different story..

But $500 for a first offense seems drastic to me..

What problems have you experienced with dogs/doghunters?
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

1. Own 200 acres.

2. Yes, they are more of a nuisance than the native species, and even the non native coyote. We do not have hogs.

3. Management practices include food plots, mineral blocks, limited hunting pressure, controlled burning, selective tree cutting for more beneficial trees, and i may be missing some others.

4. DNR and local law enforcement have been notified y me and surrounding neighbors multiple times to no avail.

My question to you or anyone else, how is this right or respectful in any way?

There are paved public roads consisting of around these 2000 or more acres. Let me stress again, with no dog hunting allowed by any of us.

A little background info as well, I grew up dog hunting in the community when I was younger. We had more respect, dignity, and beagles.

As long as they would stay off of my property, I love dog hunters. They just push all the deer from their property to my, less pressured, property. But they can't stop turning loose 20-40 head of dogs on 20-100 after tracts long enough to realize the problems they are causing!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckin Bronco View Post
    Yep. I have a border collie mix that is smarter than most of the people on this site.
    The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

However, we'll do it until the bloody end, $500/$1000 fines be damned..

You seem to be intelligent, if you were me, how would you defend it..

Nothing is more of a nuisance than a coyote*

Do these dog hunters break any of the current rules of the current renegade dog hunter act?

Hahahaha hell I know for a fact one doesn't even have a damn hunting license... And you are really asking me that. Quit being blind to the facts.

Now on the flip side I have family that hunt on a club down the road, around 1500 acres. They are mostly old with generations of "good" dog hunters including my grandfather and father. They never have a problem. Hell, even my grandfather is sick of them being on his tract of property, which is about a mile from me, and he dog hunts.

Something has give!
    Yep. I have a border collie mix that is smarter than most of the people on this site.
    The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

And just to correct you, nothing is more of a nuisance than a trespasser because if I shot them I go to jail. I can eliminate coyotes.

Nothing is more of a nuisance than a coyote*

Do these dog hunters break any of the current rules of the current renegade dog hunter act?
    How many acres do you hunt across the river?

So if a guy hunts without a license and trespasses, do you think outlawing what he does is going to stop him?

Hunting without a license and trespassing is already against the law..

However, we'll do it until the bloody end, $500/$1000 fines be damned..

You seem to be intelligent, if you were me, how would you defend it..
    If I were you, since you do it right, I would try to figure out what measures can be taken that will be easy for you to satisfy but hard for most of the troublemakers. Maybe that means registration, license fee, etc., but I think an effective tool is penalties for your dogs getting out of bounds. So, figure out how to set up a penalty regime that won't cripple your ability to hunt the way you want, but will have a serious effect on those who try to skirt the proper way to do things. I don't really like acreage restrictions b/c that seems awfully arbitrary to me and I prefer regulation that incentivizes the proper method without telling a man what he can and can't do...but, acreage restrictions may have to be part of the equation and I gather that acreage is not a problem for you.

Quote Originally Posted by santeeswamper View Post
    How many acres do you hunt across the river?
    6280 acres, then 500 acres of farms..

1100 on your side of the river that is still hunting only..

Where on this side?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Up the swamp from you a ways..

Past weetee?

Oh yeah, Way up the swamp towards the dam..
    Last edited by PBiz; 01-12-2017 at 08:40 PM.

Start deer season on October 1st, still hunting only. Dog hunting starts November 1st.

That doesn't accomplish a thing..

Oh yea! I've hunted Redhill, Oakland, longlands. Could you imagine what we could have if no one would have cut either side. Some of the timber left on sportsman's and around the blue hole has to be some of the prettiest spots I've ever payed eyes on

Well let me ask you, what should be done this is happening in a lot of places. Y'all look bad as a whole, even in my mind. None of the"good" dog hunters are helping with a resolution, I mean wake up and realize something has to change to give landowners some type of rights. I am not saying it is going fix it but some enforcement and stuff fine may persuade a few minds. As a matter of fact, I think they should outlaw hunting from a public road! That would solve a ton of my problems!
    Last edited by swampshooter; 01-12-2017 at 08:46 PM.

That doesn't accomplish a thing..
    Have you ever been to blue hole?