Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Bill to ban dog hunting

Quote Originally Posted by PBiz View Post
    Come see me about the 3rd week of October..
    ugh ummm

still waiting on my chance at a 4pt
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    You boys claiming to keep your dogs on a 100 acres are full of shit!
    Collar or not, unless you dog is trained to stop in the road when the collar goes beep, you're full o shit!
    Very, very few doggers give a shit much less take the time to reach this level of training with their hounds.
    As a matter of fact, bring em down here and let's test your statement to be true or false!
    I ain't for banning dog huntin by any stretch these days....had you asked me 15 years ago, yes but we had a serious problem with some world-class shitheads back then.
    ill take that bet any day of the week..

I also don't run high strung fox walkers and I don't think p biz does either...

Killed 73 bucks this year, two cowhorns, and less than 10 3/4/5pts..

Next year when the thickets grow back up and we get rid of some of these deserts, we will kill 100..

Never mind, buck tags bo..

When ever you want to hunt, come on..
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

Uh yeah.. You don't enter Shetland ponies in the Kentucky derby, do you?

Maybe you have to register your dogs and pay $100 for a license to turn them loose?

That's my deal with the buck tags, I'd pay $100 for every buck I kill.. and I don't care what the great state of South Carolina does with the proceeds..

They could pay for welfare and recovering crackhead reform if they wanted to, or even the sex change most politicians need anyway.. I could care less, I just want to kill bucks..

Quote Originally Posted by aquaman View Post
    Pbiz is right, they have broken no existing laws and they will tell you that to your face as their hounds are running through your lease or land. Some restrictions need to be put in place if dog hunting is to continue. It will take dog men to come together and present some "meaningful" changes that involve property rights if it is to continue, no any of that Yanzey McGill bullshit that passed several years ago. Love has this was phrased as a "Bill to Ban Dog Hunting" which it by no means was.
    I guess I should have titled it "bill to end dog hunting as we know it"

Quote Originally Posted by b-stick View Post
    ill take that bet any day of the week..

I also don't run high strung fox walkers and I don't think p biz does either...
    squealy mouth collar broke beagles are the shiznit in our part of the world imo but obviously we hunt in flat, hill land so beagles and slow moving tree hounds are the only answer.

If any changes in my opinion from dog hunting stand point that would begin to make a huge impact is style of dog used on said property.
    ex.. (this may step on toes but we outlawed them in our club years ago and don't allow visitors with them) and problems came to screeching halt.
    OUTLAW RUNNING DEER WITH FOX HOUNDS.

I recently talked with a guy over Christmas holidays that explained he had to go 7 miles to get a dog few weeks ago.
    THIS MY FRIENDS ARE THE PROBLEMS CHILDS IN DOG HUNTING.
    1 because he was proud his dogs went that far.
    2 he obviously doesn't care who he pissed off in that 7 mile stretch.

will a beagle go 7 miles? yes if you allow him to he will eventually get there. beagles and tree stock hounds are easier for us to stay on top of and cut off before they get off property with our terrain.

where pbiz and others hunt in swamp lands they have a total different scenario and have to treat it differently. there is a fix to a lot of the madness and common sense fixes 99.9% of it. (only if people realize what the actual problem is will they try and fix it.)

pbiz you mentioned registering your dogs.
    registering the club or dog owner is something that may get people on board with doing right. maybe/maybe not but Georgia has to register clubs and they have a number to put on trucks and dog collar. The problem I see that can and will occur with this approach is people having dogs that only the owner can catch. THIS IS NOT WHAT WE WANT TO START HAPPENING. I saw this first hand as we used to hunt in ga after our season went out and to keep their club or dog owner from getting points against them or a fine a few people went with dogs that were 1 man dogs. a complete nightmare for the club and adjoining neighbors.

Quote Originally Posted by porkchop 13 View Post
    squealy mouth collar broke beagles are the shiznit in our part of the world imo but obviously we hunt in flat, hill land so beagles and slow moving tree hounds are the only answer.

If any changes in my opinion from dog hunting stand point that would begin to make a huge impact is style of dog used on said property.
    ex.. (this may step on toes but we outlawed them in our club years ago and don't allow visitors with them) and problems came to screeching halt.
    OUTLAW RUNNING DEER WITH FOX HOUNDS.

I recently talked with a guy over Christmas holidays that explained he had to go 7 miles to get a dog few weeks ago.
    THIS MY FRIENDS ARE THE PROBLEMS CHILDS IN DOG HUNTING.
    1 because he was proud his dogs went that far.
    2 he obviously doesn't care who he pissed off in that 7 mile stretch.

will a beagle go 7 miles? yes if you allow him to he will eventually get there. beagles and tree stock hounds are easier for us to stay on top of and cut off before they get off property with our terrain.

where pbiz and others hunt in swamp lands they have a total different scenario and have to treat it differently. there is a fix to a lot of the madness and common sense fixes 99.9% of it. (only if people realize what the actual problem is will they try and fix it.)

pbiz you mentioned registering your dogs.
    registering the club or dog owner is something that may get people on board with doing right. maybe/maybe not but Georgia has to register clubs and they have a number to put on trucks and dog collar. The problem I see that can and will occur with this approach is people having dogs that only the owner can catch. THIS IS NOT WHAT WE WANT TO START HAPPENING. I saw this first hand as we used to hunt in ga after our season went out and to keep their club or dog owner from getting points against them or a fine a few people went with dogs that were 1 man dogs. a complete nightmare for the club and adjoining neighbors.
    99% of our club borders 4 holes swamp. Ocassionally a dog will get in there and they are hard to get out. You usually have to wait it out. I run all 1/2 treestock and 1/2 fox walkers. I had one get into the swamp the last Saturday morning, before I realized she was in there it was to late. I wasn't paying attention. She was to far out of hearing for me to call her back. I got her back that Thursday. She finally made it into the quarries behind Giant Cement. Some times shit happens but atleast where I am at, it doesn't effect anyone.

MC is offline Daydreamer Extraordinaire

Rather than registering the dogs or the club - register the tract of land being hunted with dogs.

You cannot dog hunt a tract that is not registered.
    All dogs and dog hunters must be identified with the registration number of the property they are hunting.
    If a hunter or his dog is caught trespassing on land that is not registered to dog hunt, the hunter or dog owner may be fined, but the violation is tied to the registration number of the tract they were hunting.
    If a registered tract receives 3 violations of dogs or dog hunters trespassing - the tract cannot be registered for a period of 5 years.

The only way to fix it is to require fences or ban it all together. I could care less about how someone hunts as long as they don't create a nuisance on my property. All the other shit is nothing but feel good measures.

Quote Originally Posted by marsh chicken View Post
    The only way to fix it is to require fences or ban it all together. I could care less about how someone hunts as long as they don't create a nuisance on my property. All the other shit is nothing but feel good measures.
    don't you hunt in Georgia?

marsh just a question how much land do you lease?

How many acres do you hunt/own?

Is a pack of dogs running a deer through your property more of a nuisance than a pack of coyotes/hogs/raccoons that reside there?

I'm not condoning dogs on your property, just asking?

What do you do to "grow deer", eliminate predators, manage your property?

Has Fish and Wildlife been notified that there has been a problem on your property with dogs?

Have they done anything?

Quote Originally Posted by MC View Post
    Rather than registering the dogs or the club - register the tract of land being hunted with dogs.

You cannot dog hunt a tract that is not registered.
    All dogs and dog hunters must be identified with the registration number of the property they are hunting.
    If a hunter or his dog is caught trespassing on land that is not registered to dog hunt, the hunter or dog owner may be fined, but the violation is tied to the registration number of the tract they were hunting.
    If a registered tract receives 3 violations of dogs or dog hunters trespassing - the tract cannot be registered for a period of 5 years.
    only reason I said dog owners or clubs is so once they get so many strikes they wont be able to just go be a nuisance or continue to ruin it for others that are doing it right in different areas.

I hunt on approx 6,000 acres in GA. I do hunt some in SC as well, but dogs aren't an issue there.

The dogs at our GA property are constantly an issue and run throughout the property as we have three dog clubs that adjoin each other to the north of us.

We have notified DNR when we caught dogs, but don't even bother anymore as its a real pain to try and catch the dogs, get cell service, and then wait on an officer to show up a couple hours later. Now a days we try and hunt as far away as we can on days the dog club runs hounds. Other than that we pretty much grin and bear it. We have tried to talk with the neighboring dog clubs and get the same old lip service every dog club seems to give. Pointing fingers and making excuses.

Managing the property? We have a trapper come in during the year. Plant sprig and fall food plots mineral licks, and have a policy of only shooting deer that are 16 inches or more.
    Last edited by marsh chicken; 01-12-2017 at 07:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marsh chicken View Post
    I hunt on approx 6,000 acres in GA. I do hunt some in SC as well, but dogs aren't an issue there.

The dogs at our GA property are constantly an issue and run throughout the property as we have three dog clubs that adjoin each other to the north of us.

We have notified DNR when we caught dogs, but don't even bother anymore as its a real pain to try and catch the dogs, get cell service, and then wait on an officer to show up a couple hours later. Now a days we try and hunt as far away as we can on days the dog club runs hounds. Other than that we pretty much grin and bear it. We have tried to talk with the neighboring dog clubs and get the same old lip service every dog club seems to give. Pointing fingers and making excuses.
    This thread is about doggin in SC-please STFU until they are talking about Georgia

How well are current laws enforced, how well will more laws be enforced?

What's Georgia's law on dogs crossing lines?

How long of border do y'all share with them?

Quote Originally Posted by PBiz View Post
    What's Georgia's law on dogs crossing lines?

How long of border do y'all share with them?
    If a dog club has their dogs caught on another property and the DNR goes through the process of writing up the tickets then I believe they get three infractions before losing the ability to dog hunt. The problem is that some guys will turn dogs loose without a collar, or just a generic collar,so you can't prove its their dog.

I would guesstimate the dog club that borders us shares about 50 acres with us. The other guys adjoin them to the north.

I'd damn sure spend 2grand and build a fence..

You shouldn't have to, but I'd rather do that than grin and bear it..