Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Bill to ban dog hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I thought you were a younger guy. With your attitude you will be fine.

I comment about shooting dogs and what can happen because some things in life aren't worth the trouble. Say one of us shoots some dirt neck heybo's dog. Then he makes it his life mission to get revenge. Burns a stand or camper, slashes tires, etc, you get the point. As much as it is wrong and you (me, us, whatever) want to get payback, some things in life aren't worth it. I am 39, so I'm not old yet, but I have learned that some situations are not worth engaging in, as much as those people need to get bitch slapped or worse.
    You make a valid argument, there was a large club house on a local still hunting club that was burned down by some individuals who were pissed off about the club outlawing dog hunting several years ago. I guess that old saying about revenge being a double edged sword still reigns true.

Hey, Coastal Woodie, where'd you kill those turkeys in the avatar?? LOL
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

only thing that I can say for a fact is that still hunting ruined dog hunting. All of this came about because of the population boom of deer in SC. I grew up dog hunting and had dogs up until 2004. Even then, this whole outlawing dog hunting debate was going on. Every year it was progressively getting worse with still hunters bitching, people hauling your dogs off 3 counties over, and people shooting dogs until I just quit with. Dogs getting out of the blocks you're hunting and "trespassing" is just part of it. I remember when I was young going anywhere you wanted to pick up dogs or cut them off.
    Back then there wasn't nearly as many absentee landowners as there are now with all this recreational property purchasing going on. Everybody knew everybody. Joe Shmuck from Charleston or the beach didn't buy 300 acres somewhere in the middle of now where to hunt on. When the deer population became large enough to actually see and kill deer out of a treestand is when everybody and their brother started deer hunting. It's like trying to mix oil and water. Ain't never gonna happen. Even though I don't do it anymore, I just hate to see dog hunting be forced out.
    Last edited by jevans; 01-11-2017 at 11:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    You boys claiming to keep your dogs on a 100 acres are full of shit!
    Collar or not, unless you dog is trained to stop in the road when the collar goes beep, you're full o shit!
    Very, very few doggers give a shit much less take the time to reach this level of training with their hounds.
    As a matter of fact, bring em down here and let's test your statement to be true or false!
    I ain't for banning dog huntin by any stretch these days....had you asked me 15 years ago, yes but we had a serious problem with some world-class shitheads back then.
    so what fixed the problems you had with the world classers you mentioned?

collar broke dogs are in existence and I wouldn't call b.s. till you spend time with some guys that really do care. yes they may be few and far between in some places but attitudes have changed in a lot of places and technology will continue to help.

Porkchop 13 got a point. Hunted 800 acres in 200 acer blocks the last weekend of the season. With alphas you can keep them dogs in a block and stop them in the road. If you say they can't then you just aint seen it. But spending 2500 in garmin and collars is a hole other battle.

Some of the best drives I've been on were with beagles. And none got off the tract.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

I said it last year when tags passed it is the beginning of the end of dog hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by porkchop 13 View Post
    so what fixed the problems you had with the world classers you mentioned?

collar broke dogs are in existence and I wouldn't call b.s. till you spend time with some guys that really do care. yes they may be few and far between in some places but attitudes have changed in a lot of places and technology will continue to help.
    Enough large landowners in the neighborhood got pissed off when they'd catch these guys roaming with loaded 1100's in the front seat!
    In due time it fizzled out for one reason or the other and now it's a still hunt club...
    Like I said, I've seen collar broke dogs (ran a pack on our place Christmas week) but there are far fewer than there are long-legged go to hell walker dogs!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

You boys claiming to keep your dogs on a 100 acres are full of shit!
    Collar or not, unless you dog is trained to stop in the road when the collar goes beep, you're full o shit!
    Very, very few doggers give a shit much less take the time to reach this level of training with their hounds.
    As a matter of fact, bring em down here and let's test your statement to be true or false!
    I ain't for banning dog huntin by any stretch these days....had you asked me 15 years ago, yes but we had a serious problem with some world-class shitheads back then.
    Yes, I have 12 dogs that will stop on a beep.. I can stop any dog with the shock..

Hell I could stop Deshaun Watson or George Rogers, while strung out on coke with the shock..
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

Quote Originally Posted by Greenheadkiller View Post
    Porkchop 13 got a point. Hunted 800 acres in 200 acer blocks the last weekend of the season. With alphas you can keep them dogs in a block and stop them in the road. If you say they can't then you just aint seen it. But spending 2500 in garmin and collars is a hole other battle.
    $2500?

And the reason I can't stop all 18 is that 6 are 14 months..

Trying not to burn them to bad while they are learning..

40" hog wire fence is cheap.. A little over a dollar a yard..

Stop with a beep*

I like it.. I know what dogs are performing, where they are going, how they hunt together, and especially where the buck they are running is headed..

https://mdc.mo.gov/newsroom/commissi...-ban-mdc-lands

Think politicians and Charles Ruth types know what is best?
    Last edited by SC REBEL; 01-12-2017 at 07:11 AM.

http://www.peta.org/issues/wildlife/...l-unnecessary/

Think these folks are not listening?
    Last edited by SC REBEL; 01-12-2017 at 07:10 AM.

(ran a pack on our place Christmas week)
    Lord have mercy. I bet that was EPIC

There are several issues that ANY hunter should have with the proposed bill. First would be 1000 acres in one tract. What about the club who has 900 acres owned by one company and beside it another 900 acres and beside that another 700 acres? That is 2500 acres that are continuous but by definition are not in one tract. Remember, when dealing with legislators you are predominately dealing with lawyers. The next issue would be that the owner of a dog who trespasses on another property is liable for civil damages. Stop and think about that for a moment. The still hunter who uses a lab to track a wounded deer and the lab gets on another persons land is subject to civil charges. No provisions as to what the civil charges may be for, just that the dog owner is liable, whether any harm is done or not. Next would be the $50 charge to be paid to anyone that catches a dog. Please note that the bill does NOT specify where the dog must be caught. Could you imagine how many people will start "earning" their weekend beer money by simply catching dogs on public roads. Remember that some clubs have huge tracts of land that have public roads running through them that anyone can travel or stop on. Next would be the fact that a landowner where the hunt started would also be liable for civil damages. How many people would quit leasing land to dog clubs knowing this? Finally, damages can equal 1/5th of the appraised value of the property. Give me a break.
    Personally I am in favor of some type of restriction on the number of acres needed in order to hunt deer with dogs. The groups trying to run 200 acres with 20 walkers every single Saturday are creating a LARGE number of the complaints. The groups turning loose 20 walkers on a small tract with all intentions of running deer off their neighbor are causing a majority of the remaining problems. Eliminate these issues and you will eliminate 90-95% of the problems imho.
    Become one with nature then marinate it.

What do you suggest Legislators do to address the problem groups? How do you prevent guys turning loose dogs on small tracts?

Personally I have fought it for 13 years and found out that landowners have no rights and are helpless.

Completely ban the "tradition" and end it all. It's not a tradition it's something a bunch of red necks and heybo's do. There's no trophy management aspect which hurts the overall state for big deer harvest. People wonder why we don't kill big deer. Dog hunters shoot spikes and don't think twice about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkleberry Ridge Runner View Post
    There are several issues that ANY hunter should have with the proposed bill. First would be 1000 acres in one tract. What about the club who has 900 acres owned by one company and beside it another 900 acres and beside that another 700 acres? That is 2500 acres that are continuous but by definition are not in one tract. Remember, when dealing with legislators you are predominately dealing with lawyers. The next issue would be that the owner of a dog who trespasses on another property is liable for civil damages. Stop and think about that for a moment. The still hunter who uses a lab to track a wounded deer and the lab gets on another persons land is subject to civil charges. No provisions as to what the civil charges may be for, just that the dog owner is liable, whether any harm is done or not. Next would be the $50 charge to be paid to anyone that catches a dog. Please note that the bill does NOT specify where the dog must be caught. Could you imagine how many people will start "earning" their weekend beer money by simply catching dogs on public roads. Remember that some clubs have huge tracts of land that have public roads running through them that anyone can travel or stop on. Next would be the fact that a landowner where the hunt started would also be liable for civil damages. How many people would quit leasing land to dog clubs knowing this? Finally, damages can equal 1/5th of the appraised value of the property. Give me a break.
    Personally I am in favor of some type of restriction on the number of acres needed in order to hunt deer with dogs. The groups trying to run 200 acres with 20 walkers every single Saturday are creating a LARGE number of the complaints. The groups turning loose 20 walkers on a small tract with all intentions of running deer off their neighbor are causing a majority of the remaining problems. Eliminate these issues and you will eliminate 90-95% of the problems imho.
    It would not eliminate ours. Every single time the 1000 acre +30/30 Club dog hunts, we end up with dogs on our property for the rest of that weekend, effectively shutting down whatever deer hunting plans we may have had. Many a trip has been wasted when friends drove in from D.C. or Northern VA to deer hunt only to watch walker dogs wandering around all day Saturday and Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by dumbduck View Post
    Completely ban the "tradition" and end it all. It's not a tradition it's something a bunch of red necks and heybo's do. There's no trophy management aspect which hurts the overall state for big deer harvest. People wonder why we don't kill big deer. Dog hunters shoot spikes and don't think twice about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    They single most ignorant post in this thread.