Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best waterproof rain jacket

Been impressed with the Guardian series jacket Drake offers now. Granted I haven't sat in a monsoon in it, but I put it on the other week up North when rain set in hunting and I stayed dry.

If it ain't goretex you're pissing into the wind.
    Last edited by Cottontop74; 01-11-2017 at 09:53 AM.

Not Drake. They don't make anything waterproof.
    Carolina American Water Spaniels

UH HR GCH CH Carolina's Wild March Hare MH JHR RAE OA OAJ AF WDS CGC TDI (Bunny)
    UH HRCH Carolina's Duck Gumbo MHA SHR RN WDS CGC TDI (Gumbo) HRC 1500 Point Club (RIP)
    BISS HR GCH Carolina's Running With the Hare JHR SH WDX CGC TDI (Blew)
    HRCH GCH CH Carolina's Tale of the Hare SH MHR WDX (Bea)
    Carolina's Three Duck Limit (Rio)

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    McAllister or filson tin cloth
    Listen to Griffin
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

I have an older Herter's 3-n-1 wading jacket that still keeps me dry, as long as my feet don't get tangled. It has a double flap that buttons closed over the zipper. I think the zipper is where most rain coats have their issues. The people at Cabelas should be kicked in the nuts, and throat punched for doing what they did to Herter's.

With that said, look for something that has a covered zipper. That is the weakest link with all of them.

You didn't say if it was for hunting or not but Visor Guy is money with the 100 mph gear he mentioned. Also None of y'all ever mention it but Gill Gear, offshore blow boaters wear it. You will only get wet in it if you jump in the damn water. FACT. started wearing it years ago when I fished offshore a lot on center consoles. It's pricey too but works.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

If we are talking about fishing gear then buy the HUK gear. I have fished the worst of the worst and stayed bone dry

IMG_0723.JPG
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    Mountain Hardware.

I've literally sat thru monsoons and stayed dry.
    They have a couple different types. Which one do you have?
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

Sitka

I see most of you are smart enough to get out of the rain, because 90% of what yall are touting is about as waterproof as a wet paper sack. Well greased Tin cloth is the only answer here if a solid day of hunting outside in a downpour is the order of the day. Still laughing at the cat who said Goretex....

Do any of yall actually hunt in your Filson jackets? I have one but its more of my nicer jacket. Wouldnt think to use it in hunting situations

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I see most of you are smart enough to get out of the rain, because 90% of what yall are touting is about as waterproof as a wet paper sack. Well greased Tin cloth is the only answer here if a solid day of hunting outside in a downpour is the order of the day. Still laughing at the cat who said Goretex....
    Yeahhhh....Ive got one of those tin cloth coats. Ain't worth a shot if you don't keep waxing it. Who the hell wants to wax a coat every flipping time you plan on going out in the rain....not to mention tin cloth is hotter than 2 cats fucking in a wool sock!!!! You'll be we wetter from sweating than if you wore a drake jacket!

I've hunted over twenty something years in a Barbour solway. It was made to hunt.

If a grease coat is one of your nicer articles of clothing, you might want to step up your game...

Why would you need to rewax more than once every couple years? Answer: you don't know what the fuck you are talking about. Imagine that on this site.

You just keep that thing in your fashion closet. They ain't worth a shit for anything but going through briers. I only wear mine on cold days rabbit hunting.

Really? Does anyone hunt in a Filson? Why the hell would you buy it to be a "nice jacket"? That's the problem with the hunting world these days. Shit is made to be hunted in a people are buying it to wear as a status symbol or to look cool. My wife won't let me wear my filson field coat in the house because of how dirty it is, but as long as it's not hot out that is the only way to go if you want to stay dry. Don't buy shit to look cool, use it for its purpose.

JAB be in the duck blind in November like, "I know im looking fly but its hotter than a mother fucker out here!"

Grunden rubber rain suits will keep you dry! Do none of you fools watch Deadliest Catch? There is not hardly a wetter environment than these cats work 24 - 36 hrs at a time in and you see what they wear!
    Last edited by Tmbrhntr; 01-11-2017 at 08:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cottontop74 View Post
    You just keep that thing in your fashion closet. They ain't worth a shit for anything but going through briers. I only wear mine on cold days rabbit hunting.
    Don't let my dashing persona sway you into believing that I'm gentle.

Who the fuck let cottontop back in here?
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004