Thread: Hunting ar build- 20"+ barrel

Default Hunting ar build- 20"+ barrel

Looking for some ideas/opinions on a longer barreled upper. Building this gun to be more of a varmint/hog gun and want a heavier barrel upper. Been looking at the rock river stainless bull uppers but would love to see some of your builds with this style upper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cast and Blast 17 w/ Opti power

A few questions...
    - how much do you want to spend?
    -Are you planning on carrying this gun much or using it for stalking?
    - why do you think you need a heavier longer barrel?
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Default Hunting ar build- 20"+ barrel

Quote Originally Posted by tman View Post
    A few questions...
    - how much do you want to spend?
    -Are you planning on carrying this gun much or using it for stalking?
    - why do you think you need a heavier longer barrel?
    - it's not really a "budget" build, but it's gonna be a truck gun so I'd like to keep the upper around 650-700. Lower is already built.

-it'll be carried some, but I'm not too concerned with weight as it won't be a "hiking for miles" type deal.

-I just prefer that style, and I would rather thread a barrel for a can vs putting some sort of muzzle device on to accommodate one. I've never been a shorter barrel fan, even with my bolt gun builds, 24" is the absolute shortest I'd own in a bolt gun.

Last edited by scgolfer88; 01-09-2017 at 11:48 AM.

If you want a 20+ inch barrel just because, go for it. BUT, we're shooting 75 - 77 grain bullets out past 800 yds in practical matches with 18-20" barrels. Those bullets work fine for varmints as well. A long barrel won't allow you to push a lighter bullet fast enough to overcome the ballistic advantage of the longer heavier bullets. With the heavies, you can't get enough powder in a 556 case to take advantage of that long barrel. So you just end up with a long heavy awkward rifle. Some food for thought.

I agree with what FLS said. If you want longer "just cuz", then more power to ya, I'd go for it. But it's not necessary or as practical or wieldy as a 16-18" bbl IMO. There's just not enough case capacity where a 20"+ will benefit the shooter. And if you do put a can on a 20" barrel then it's going to make your gun that much unnecessarily longer and less maneuverable in hunting situations
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    If you want a 20+ inch barrel just because, go for it. BUT, we're shooting 75 - 77 grain bullets out past 800 yds in practical matches with 18-20" barrels. Those bullets work fine for varmints as well. A long barrel won't allow you to push a lighter bullet fast enough to overcome the ballistic advantage of the longer heavier bullets. With the heavies, you can't get enough powder in a 556 case to take advantage of that long barrel. So you just end up with a long heavy awkward rifle. Some food for thought.
    I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to the right 18" setup, I just haven't seen any that I liked yet without going to a 20"...

I hate a barrel longer than 20" on an AR
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    I hate a barrel longer than 20" on an AR
    20 would realistically be about my max. But that 6.5cm build of yours on the other hand may very well be my next ar build. Got a Bergara in 6.5 on order...looking forward to learning that round

Quote Originally Posted by scgolfer88 View Post
    20 would realistically be about my max. But that 6.5cm build of yours on the other hand may very well be my next ar build. Got a Bergara in 6.5 on order...looking forward to learning that round

I'm selling it to build a 10.5" barrel 308
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

My son has a 10.5" 556 SBR. That thing is fun as hell to shoot.

Damn right. Throw a can on it and you still have a small user friendly weapon

My SBR is 12.5" and I like the length, but sometimes I wish I'd gone a tad shorter. With the can on it, it's not bad on length, but, if the HPA passes, I'll likely bite off on a short can for it. With my current suppressor, I've shot it without hearing protection and it's mild.

I AM seriously considering a 9" SBR in a bigger-than-5.56mm caliber for woods killing deer and pigs.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

I'm liking my 10.5, but kinda wish I woulda gone 7.5 or 8.5. But, oh well.

I do believe I'm gonna do another, but shorter...make a super budget build, and leave it in the truck.

And, OP -- 18" would be as long as I would go. Put a slim 16" keymod, freefloat on there, and be done with it.

For the love of Pete, don't leave a SBR in your truck.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Rat View Post
    For the love of Pete, don't leave a SBR in your truck.
    Excuse me -- I should have stated it was gonna be a "pistol" build like the one listed in my thread below. Just not as "flashy".

I'm debating on making my 10.5" pistol an SBR, the 10.5" barrels seem like the perfect length to me.