Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Epic GA weekend to close it out

Default Epic GA weekend to close it out

I was able to make a trip to a good friend of mines place in GA Wednesday the 28th after work. This is supposed to be an annual deal but the scheduling just hasn't worked the past two years. Anyway, the weather for Thursday morning sucked and I saw 5 deer. A couple of does and one nice 3yr old half rack buck pictured here

With cold weather moving in I thought the afternoon might be good. I was shown two tc pics of bucks that frequent the area, one to shoot and one they wanted to give one more year. You can guess which buck stepped out. He was a beautiful 4yr old that chased does all afternoon. I ended up seeing 14 deer total. Here he is through my binos

Friday morning was good, but not great. I saw several deer and a couple of nice 2 and 3 year old bucks but nothing to ever pic the gun up. Here is a crappy bino pic of the best buck I saw

Friday afternoon it was cold, so I got in the stand early. At around 3 I had a beautiful 3yr old ten step out and eat corn for an hour or more. He's really going to be a buck to watch out for. Here he is as im watching him 300 yards down the road.

After a while I began seeing deer after deer, buck after buck. At 5 I had a lone doe step out 300 yards away. I could see a buck behind her, but couldn't tell what he was. Finally, it was what I came here for. The man, he walks behind her up to 200 in a broom sage field offering nothing but a head on shot. Here is his TC pic

Shortly after I saw the other guy I was after but was heart broken when he faced me and I saw his left side was completely gone

By dark I had seen 25 bucks and 35 deer total. Including this beautiful 8 that has been passed all year

Saturday morning we surrounded the area hoping for "the big 8" at daylight he is standing on the corn 300 yards from me. I can see him and so can my buddy mike who has his 5yr old son with him. I asked mike to please take the shot. He did as I was watching through my scope. His son was fired up as we all were. Once we found him Mikes son finished him off with a BB gun shot from his Red Ryder right behind the shoulder. It was a great moment. Here his is

About 30 minutes after mike shot I saw a buck we call "moe" he crossed the road at 250 doing the buck walk and I saw him for only a second. He was a beast. My buddy Matt went back that afternoon since I had to leave and killed moe. He was aged at 5.5

It was an absolutely incredible weekend with me never firing a shot. I can't wait until next year.

On a side note, my friends bought this place back in 07. At the end of the season in 09 they invited all the neighboring clubs over for a cookout and pitched the idea of a co-op between all clubs. My friends own less than 1000 acres and where I saw all these bucks was on less than 500. They were able to get an incredible response to the co-op idea with one simple idea. To let bucks 3.5 and younger walk, nothing else. The co-op started with 5 clubs at 6000 acres, today its pushing 30,000 acres under the same management plan, with some clubs having stricter rules. In 09 the biggest buck killed in the co-op that year was 121". This year, there have been 10 over 150" and one 170". Letting deer walk really is an incredible thing, especially when your neighbors do the same.

Hope y'all enjoyed the post as much as I did experiencing it.

Thanks
    Last edited by Gut_Pile; 01-04-2017 at 09:05 PM.
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Good stuff man!
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

I assume you meant three and under walk
    Carolina Counsel

That's legit Willy!

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Counsel View Post
    I assume you meant three and under walk
    Yes, I did. Typo. Went back and fixed it
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

right on
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Indeed, yet I have killed no Jack Miners today, this month, or this season as our boy DHall has. I am more jealous of his awesome pig of a bird than everyone else combined.

First Peter 5:7 "Cast all your care upon God"

Man I wish my neighbors would let them walk
    Last edited by sueak85; 01-04-2017 at 09:05 PM.

Looks like an awesome weekend. That really shows what letting deer reach maturity can do.

Awesome stuff there. Those are some good deer and something to look forward to next year.

Default Epic GA weekend to close it out

Quote Originally Posted by sueak85 View Post
    Man I wish my neighbors would let them walk
    Your neighbors let more deer walk than most anyone, and they sure wish y'all wouldn't go 6 wide in a flock of turkeys
    Last edited by trkykilr; 01-04-2017 at 09:18 PM.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Good stuff will. Neighbor to my place and I are working on some folks around us to do the same type of thing. I hate you didn't get to fire the shot but I'm sure you had a blast nonetheless
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Very cool. Next year should be really good for them

Good post - congrats on a good weekend
    “The price of freedom is eternal vigilance” - Thomas Jefferson

Trigger control works man. No if an or butts about it. I get grief over tags, but my reason for tags predominately is to enforce trigger control on those whom may not be into buck growth but are afraid of law enforcement.

I don't want the gubment in my shit yo, but I realize the unclean masses of sc would just assume kill a cow horn and pretend to do it to feed aunt Sue than take 5 minutes to actually help a needy family.

I could go on but you all know what I'm gonna say so who cares.

Good killing on Mikes part. Deer needed to be removed with lack of Brow tines. Is that a trait y'all see frequently? I preface this by stating a 1.5 with no brow tines does not constitute a "good"kill. A mature animal with no brow like Mikes buck is good killing.

I like Moe. Moe had character. Why did y'all name him Moe?
    Last edited by Silentweapon338; 01-04-2017 at 10:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Silentweapon338 View Post
    I could go on but you all know what I'm gonna say so who cares.
    thanks for sparing us!

good stuff, gutpile
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Great stuff, thanks for sharing!

Very nice

Good stuff Wilbur. Trigger control!

That is strong
    "And ignoring people on here....that's like being home schooled. Just say you're not ready to face life." Highstrung

Good read GP.