Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wrigley Field Info

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Wrigley Field Info

So my dad has been saying for years that before he dies he would like to go to Wrigley field and watch a ball game. He aint a Cubs fan but just wants to see a game at Wrigley. Since he is a man who has everything I decided to get he and I tickets to go see them Play the Dodgers on April 13 and the Pirates on April 14.

I'm trying to figure out our accommodations. What would be my best bet? I know there are hotels really close to the field but is there anything else to do around the field? Or would we be better of getting a hotel elsewhere where there are more things to do and drive to the game?

Could someone who knows a little about the area give me some info? Thanks in advance
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

I stayed at the Magnificent Mile when I went and caught the Blue Line North to Wrigley.

If he's not dead set on sitting in a specific area I'd recommend bleacher seats. It's all general admission. There's beer on tap right under the scoreboard on center so you could continue watching the game while you get a refill.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

We always stay around the Miracle Mile as well. The train ride to Wrigley is easy.

Don't stay in Wrigleyville unless he wants to stay up all night listening to bars. As said before stay in town, visit navy pier and walk along the river.

Take Uber to the game. Get there early early if you are in the bleachers. Since going to 2 games you could do one in bleachers and one in seats.

Take a stadium tour (something I haven't done). Go to Murphys behind left field.

Stay out of southside!
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

I agree that the outfield has the best seats. At least I tend to enjoy sitting out there more. The stadium is small so you're close to the game even in the outfield. But sit in both if you're seeing more than one game.

SC is apparently full of Cubs fans. I've worn a Caroilina shirt to games a few times and wind up talking to a dozen folks from SC.

I'll reiterate...stay in a hotel along the Mag Mile on N Michigan. Several good choices: The Drake (a little dated, but a pretty cool hotel), Hilton Chicago Mag/Mile (newly renovated), Conrad Chicago (for a brand new hotel), or Londonhouse Chicago. All nice places to stay.

Also, go ahead and get a reservation before going to grab a nice steak dinner at Michael Jordan's. That place has fantastic steaks/food, and excellent service, not just a restaurant with a name.

DO NOT stay at the Red Roof Inn off the Miracle Mile. Went up there for business once and my firm got cheap and made me stay there. That hotel is the reason the invented those sleep sack bed condoms you put inside the sheets so you don't touch anything.

Also never stay in any quaint hotel just off Broadway in NY. My wife wanted to be close to Broadway and I said that Wall Street area had nicer, better hotels for less money. I slept in the bath tub over a three day weekend and had to get hammered every night so I could pass out in the room. The sheets were so thin you could see the stains on the mattress. I looked under the bed to make sure there wasn't a dead hooker.

Food - some of our favorites

Shaw's Crabhouse Seafood
    Rosebud on Rush - Italian
    Tavern on Rush
    Gene and Georgetti's - great old school Steak and Italian
    Lou Malnati's Pizza ( or Pizzaria Uno)
    Giordano's - Chicago style pizza
    Gibson's Steakhouse
    Portillo's - Hot Dogs
    Smoque BBQ
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

some good suggestions here. Stay on Michigan Ave, as close to the lakeshore as you can. Take the train to the game if you want the real experience. If it is his only time going, do yourself a favor and get great seats. The bleachers are fun, but you can get some really good seats at Wrigley behind the plate without standing in line and then fighting in the GA sections. Plus, you will bake in the sun if it is a day/evening game. Go to Wrigleyville several hours before the game, and make a lap around the outside of the stadium. Then, go in when the gates open to take in batting practice. They will let you get to the rail during that (except for the Bleachers section, which is separated from the rest of the stadium). Try Gold Coast Tickets.

PS - I caught Game 3 of this year's World Series - the first WS game at Wrigley in 70-something years. it was nuts

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    Food - some of our favorites

Shaw's Crabhouse Seafood
    Rosebud on Rush - Italian
    Tavern on Rush
    Gene and Georgetti's - great old school Steak and Italian
    Lou Malnati's Pizza ( or Pizzaria Uno)
    Giordano's - Chicago style pizza
    Gibson's Steakhouse
    Portillo's - Hot Dogs
    Smoque BBQ

Just got into Chicago and just ordered a filet from gene and Georgettis. Pricey but looks good

Well???? Let's read the review..

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    Just got into Chicago and just ordered a filet from gene and Georgettis. Pricey but looks good
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Awesome. Sounds like some good suggestions. We are sitting in one of the box seats for the dodger game and then general admission for the Pirates game. Is magnificent mile area pricey?
    Last edited by TheVisorGuy; 01-03-2017 at 08:57 AM.

i don't think it is that much pricier than other areas. Lots of stuff to walk and see around there.

And watch out for the shoe shine people walking the streets. I went out early one evening and this guy said "nice boots" and squirted some polish on them mid stride while saying, "they need to be cleaned up, lets go back in this alley and i'll clean them up". My response was "hell no, we are doing this right here on michigan avenue under the bright lights". After he "polished" my boots he said "Fifteen a shoe and the tips up to you" I gave him five bucks and walked away with him cussing at me saying i was racist.

Is magnificent mile area pricey?
    I used some Marriott reward points so I can't recall what the price would have been. But I'm pretty sure it wasn't outrageous. I want to say it was a Residence Inn. It was quite nice and shouldn't be too bad on price.

Last edited by willyworm; 01-03-2017 at 08:32 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."

Chew a little juicy fruit.

Yeah I'm not thrilled about having to be in the Chicago atmosphere

I don't understand why people from South Carolina are so scared of the atmosphere of northern cities. They are a blast for short periods of time. You might even... (gasp)... meet people you have something in common with.
    "The best things in life make you sweaty"
    - Edgar Allen Poe

“We need the tonic of wildness...At the same time that we are earnest to explore and learn all things, we require that all things be mysterious and unexplorable, that land and sea be indefinitely wild, unsurveyed and unfathomed by us...”
    ― Henry David Thoreau

Chicago is easily my favorite big city. Just stay away from the South side. The rest is great.

It's like Boston, Yankees and many other teams, got fans all over.

Wrigley is a bare bones baseball park. No frills, no games for the kids, just baseball.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wrigley Field is a true classic in any terms. I think it's great that you're taking your dad on this trip, and spending at least one game in the box seats is the right way to go.

I don't know if the place is still there as it's been years since I've been down on Michigan Ave and Rush Street, but a fine Mexican restaurant called 'Su Casa' used to be on a corner of Michigan about 4-6 blocks North of the River.

Have a fantastic time.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'