Thread: Camp Wagon build

Default Camp Wagon build

Figured I'd post this because 1. I'm kind of proud of it and 2. Somebody else might be thinking of something similar and looking for a few ideas.

I was looking around for a new tent because the girlfriend and I love camping and all we had was an old cheap Walmart tent of hers. I was trying to find something easier to set up because we both work long hours and usually only get to go for one day at a time. That's when I discovered roof top tents.

I spent a few days thinking of ways to mount it above the bed of my truck that would be easy to take on and off by myself and she suggested a trailer. I did some research and came up with a basic idea, bought some metal, and honed my welding skills on some scrap metal for a few weeks.

The outside is 3/4 plywood that I fiberglassed, epoxy primered, and then bed lined. The back is sectioned off and opens up like a tailgate and it holds 3 totes, folding table, 2 bag chairs, a heavy duty grill grate with legs, and a Dutch oven and cast iron frying pan. The two front doors open with plenty more room for anything else she makes me pack. The place in the middle in between the storage and tent will hold the kayaks when it warms up a little.

We really enjoy it. The tent sets up in about 5 minutes. Only thing I can think of adding is somehow being able to mount two mountain bikes and a solar panel to add led lights and charge phones is in the near future.

One day I will build something similar for my trip west for elk! Well done!

Only other thing I can think of is a grey water tank and a shower. Maybe a toilet.
    Last edited by JBK; 01-02-2017 at 09:44 PM.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

What's in the bottom of the tent that keeps you from falling through the braces

Wow. Long way from a Walmart tent. Not at all where I saw this going. I'm still not sure I understand the tent setup.

But looks great and a quick way to get out of the house.

Adding a hitch to the back would let you add a bike carrier or other accessory down the road. And maybe a 12 volt battery and solar panel for the lights
    Last edited by uga_dawg; 01-02-2017 at 09:47 PM.

It's a roof top tent, it's made to on top of suvs. It has a 2 piece aluminum bottom that folds up. Here's a video of one like it

That helps. Thanks

What's weight capacity on that tent floor?
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by Jozie & Me View Post
    What's weight capacity on that tent floor?
    Not 100% but I think I read 400lbs. It's really built like a tank. The tent material is similar to a pop up camper. It has a 2.5" foam mattress velcroed in, but I've read that if you crawl on it without the mattress it will leave dents where your knees/ hands were

RTTs are the shit, and they are priced accordingly. If I car camped more, id get one.

That's a real nice first time set up. I predict that you'll figure out more things you want and build another in the next few years.

When you build another, give me first dibs on that one
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

You could fine tune that thing and apply for a patent. I feel certain there is a market for a setup just like that, but very few are willing to put in the work you have. Great job! Now you have me looking at roof top tents.....

How much was the tent?
    "If its better than cold beer and hot pussy it'll probably kill us all" ~ Rebel Son

This is great!

So did you basically get a welder and just tinker with it to teach yourself, or did you get a crash course from somebody and just play around with some steel on your own?

Quote Originally Posted by CantCareSB View Post
    How much was the tent?
    They aren't cheap. I think I paid around $1100 for this one, but you can easily double that on other models

Quote Originally Posted by surfcock View Post
    This is great!

So did you basically get a welder and just tinker with it to teach yourself, or did you get a crash course from somebody and just play around with some steel on your own?
    No, I'm a farmer so I knew how to weld, just not very well. Dad always did the really important welding