Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: South Carolina Species #23...

Default South Carolina Species #23...

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    The 32 species thing for me isn't a goal - it's a motivation. It forces me to think outside of the box. It makes me re-consider where I hunt, how I hunt, and when I hunt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    So, this quest is simply there to help me deal with some of the paradigms of being an aging, cantankerous, obsessive-compulsive.

The quest has done some good. In this season and last, I've hunted bodies of water that I ignored for years. I've changed my decoy spread including making some of my own decoys. I've gone at times I wouldn't normally go and to places I normally wouldn't go to.
    I originally qualified the quest with the stipulation that it had to be in South Carolina and I wanted to do it hunting solo. The SC thing is somewhat obvious and the solo qualifier was a way of insisting that I not simply hire a guide to take me out where my role is reduced to simply to pulling the trigger.

As I tried to pare down the list I worried about killing a Goldeneye on one of my NC hunts. Would I have to rename my “Solo SC” list to a “Solo Carolina” list? I really didn’t worry too much about the solo qualifier because I only hunt with someone else a time or two each year. Well, it happened.

Today started with a plan to hunt scoter with another SCDucker using both of our boats. He had already invited a guest and Little Rubberhead (now a self-sustaining adult) was going to go with me. It quickly morphed into a plan have LR hunt in my buddy’s boat with his friend since he boat was much bigger and it would give me the option to chicken out of going outside the breakers in my 1436 without messing up LR’s chances for a scoter hunt.

Fate began shaping the day when the SCDucker’s guest backed out and LR, recovering from a swing shift and an afternoon deer hunt, decided he needed another day to get back on a normal schedule. It turned into a one-boat deal.

It was a slow morning and the nutcracker ballet of yellow-knobbed black scoters that kept me up last night never really materialized. The tides are running slow and the boat never pulled hard on its leash so we vacillated between 10 and 50 yards from the decoys with every slight shift in wind direction.

I took a red-breasted drake hoping to fill an order from a taxidermist friend but the bird had some brown flecks in its head. Frustration built as we drifted from the decoys again so the owner tied the anchor line to a back corner of the boat. A slight wind shift and my back is over the decoys and he’s on the opposite side of the boat. An eider decoyed.

The other guy couldn’t shoot because of the boat position but I managed to get off two errant shots as I tried to twist around and shot behind me. I missed with both shots. Argh…but the fates weren’t going to let me stand in the way. A big loop over a very small section of the western Atlantic and the young hen eider redecoyed. I needed just one more shot to bring my list up to 23 leaving nine more to go before reaching 32. The only cost for this, besides a little gas money, was the “solo” qualifier on my quest.

Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Congrats RH, that's definitely one to be proud of. Solo or not, quite the SC accomplishment.

Very nice
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

That's fantastic. What's still on the list? Do you already have a plan for the next one?

good read. thanks for sharing RH

great read, thanks for posting.

“Muh butts been wiped.” TheBigGuy
    “Poor kids are just as bright and talented as white kids.” PedoPete, Esq.
    “Let’s go Brandon, I agree!” former Vice President Joe Biden
    “Shower time, Ashley.” NotAndyTaylor

Congratulations on the Eider! Those hens are as beautiful a bird as the drakes are, in their own respective way. That's a great accomplishment! Nice picture too.

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Good stuff RH.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Super accomplishment.

Congrats !!!

Two thumbs up! This gives me motivation. I love hunting solo and hunting at times and places that are not the norm.

That was a "pour a fresh one first" read. Congrats and thanks for posting.
    "Pain, or damage don't end the world — or despair, or fu**in' beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, ......and give some back." -Al Swearingen

Right on Rubber
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Indeed, yet I have killed no Jack Miners today, this month, or this season as our boy DHall has. I am more jealous of his awesome pig of a bird than everyone else combined.

First Peter 5:7 "Cast all your care upon God"

#rank

Congrats Sir!

Very cool

Congratulations again RH!

Quote Originally Posted by Lynchmob View Post
    What's still on the list?
    I can tell you 5 of the 9 missing.....

King Eider
    Harlequin
    Barrows Goldeneye
    Cinnamon Teal
    White Wing Scoter

The other 4 I'm guessing are:

oldsquaw
    Surf Scoter
    Common Merganser
    Common Goldeneye
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

I'd swap the two Scoters for Black Belly and Fulvous tree ducks.

Jealous.

Congrats
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Good job

Frickin awesome!