Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NFA trust. Learn me...

Default NFA trust. Learn me...

I have been reading this stuff on here and I am planning on getting a silencer when I get back.

What is the best way to go about the actual trust?

https://silencerco.com/nfa-trust/

From what I gather, The Hearing Protection act may be quicker than the stamp. Typical government BS. 9-18 months? Eff that
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    From what I gather, The Hearing Protection act may be quicker than the stamp. Typical government BS. 9-18 months? Eff that
    That is a valid point.

I had been looking at a Trust, but it's my impression that the advantages they used to have were neutered by Obama. As FFETDOWN indicated, with any luck the HPA will be enacted early in 2017. I'm pretty sure that would totally negate the value of a Trust.

If I'm mistaken, someone will correct me and we'll both know better.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

The HPA won't help you with a SBR.
    One advantage of a trust that's still intact is it allows multiple people to be allowed to possess your NFA items. You can add your family and friends who you want to allow to borrow your stuff. Additionally, if you die, your wife won't have to immediately turn your stuff over to the sheriff.

You can buy template documents for writing your own trust docs. I paid a lawyer $200 to do it right. The trust docs are not recorded or registered anywhere but you have to submit copies with stamp applications. If you make a mistake on your trust docs, you might not find out until you've already waited several months for a stamp.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I wonder how a trust works if I have someone from SC on it and someone from KY on it? If I wanted to travel across state lines does that help?
    Last edited by led0321; 12-22-2016 at 11:44 AM.

Is there a way to add a supressor that was bought the individual route to a trust later on? I want to go the individual route due to simplicity but I'd hate for a family member to have to turn it over to law enforcement if something happened to me.

Ahh, thanks, PB. I wasn't thinking about the SBR's.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Woodie View Post
    Is there a way to add a supressor that was bought the individual route to a trust later on? I want to go the individual route due to simplicity but I'd hate for a family member to have to turn it over to law enforcement if something happened to me.
    Yes but it will cost you another $200 for a stamp for the transfer.

Quote Originally Posted by led0321 View Post
    I have been reading this stuff on here and I am planning on getting a silencer when I get back.

What is the best way to go about the actual trust?

https://silencerco.com/nfa-trust/

Create a trust and add your wife as one of the trustees. That way she can legally be in possession of your NFA items when you are deployed.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    Yes but it will cost you another $200 for a stamp for the transfer.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by led0321 View Post
    I wonder how a trust works if I have someone from SC on it and someone from KY on it? If I wanted to travel across state lines does that help?
    That's not a problem at all. No need to tell anyone where a suppressor is going but it is my understanding that you have to notify the ATF if an SBR crosses state lines. If I'm wrong about the SBR someone please correct me.
    I take an PLB in the shower with me. Can't ever be too safe.

Whats it like to live w/o the Internet? Not bad, I get photos of your mom thought the mail....

"I'd like to know more about this. Someone give cottontop a bump of coke."
    Sportin' Woodies

The biggest benefit to a trust is that multiple people can have access to the NFA item. If your wife has access to the safe that the NFA item is in and she's not listed as the registered owner or listed on the trust, you have some legal issues that may come up. Of course, having said that, who's going to know?
    Before the new law, the trust kept you from having to get fingerprints and a chief LEO signing off for you to get it.

Personally, I like that the trust protects the NFA item's future when something happens to you, if the trust is set up correctly.

Of course hopefully the HPA will come out, and we can have cans delivered to our front doors.

The primary issue with having other people on your trust is that they will have to submit passport photos and fingerprints along with every purchase. A minor headache, but a headache nonetheless. We'll see if the Donald continues with that nonsense.
    Carolina Counsel

I did mine on-line for like $80, had it back in a day or two.
    It was eazy peazy

Quote Originally Posted by millero View Post
    The biggest benefit to a trust is that multiple people can have access to the NFA item. If your wife has access to the safe that the NFA item is in and she's not listed as the registered owner or listed on the trust, you have some legal issues that may come up. Of course, having said that, who's going to know?
    Before the new law, the trust kept you from having to get fingerprints and a chief LEO signing off for you to get it.

Personally, I like that the trust protects the NFA item's future when something happens to you, if the trust is set up correctly.

Of course hopefully the HPA will come out, and we can have cans delivered to our front doors.
    Actually you can have a can delivered to your front door today you just have to wait on the stupid paperwork and $200 tax stamp.
    It'd be nice to walk into psa and twenty minutes later walk out with a can after filling out the 4473 and making the purchase. I have a feeling that SBR wait times with the ATF would be sped up if the hearing protection act were to pass.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

I have a trust, largely on old advice about it making it easier to hand it down to heirs. After getting some solid advice from others, I would not go that route again now that the changes have been put in place. I'd just do it as an individual applicant. You can still pass it down to an heir.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck the Duck Slayer View Post
    Actually you can have a can delivered to your front door today you just have to wait on the stupid paperwork and $200 tax stamp.
    It'd be nice to walk into psa and twenty minutes later walk out with a can after filling out the 4473 and making the purchase. I have a feeling that SBR wait times with the ATF would be sped up if the hearing protection act were to pass.
    Why should you have to fill out a 4473? It's not a functional firearm. It's an accessory. Change the law to ..... I give you money, you give me suppressor.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Rat View Post
    I have a trust, largely on old advice about it making it easier to hand it down to heirs. After getting some solid advice from others, I would not go that route again now that the changes have been put in place. I'd just do it as an individual applicant. You can still pass it down to an heir.
    Solid advice. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Rat View Post
    But going the individual route, you can't share the item between others ( wife, brother, kids). You as the owner have to be present always. And others can't have access to the item.