Thread: Hip Dislocation

Default Hip Dislocation

Just wanted to see how long you would wait after a dog dislocates his hip before you would let him start running, swimming, and retrieving? Dog was hit and dislocated his hip about 2 weeks ago dog is 1yr 5 months and was relocated with no fractures.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

He'll tell you when he's ready.

1 1/2 wks doesn't seem like long enough.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

He should be placed in an ehmer sling for a couple weeks 10-14 days and have very limited activity. Then slowly reintroduce some physical rehab...DO NOT RESUME RETRIEVING!!!!

He hasn't been just been walking on a leash was none weight bearing for about 5 days. He has no problem weight bearing now but I've read 3 weeks and you can starting swimming and progress. Also read to wait and none weight bearing for 14 days so was just curious to see what anyone else has experience with an injury like that to a young pup.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Did your veterinarian diagnose and perform the reduction? Understand the dog no longer has a ligament holding the femur into the hip joint if it was truly luxated. Be very slow in your rehab as the muscling around the hip needs to strengthen and hold the femur in place.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Yea got X-rays to make sure no fx and did the reduction and everything seemed very stable once it was reduced.

Pm sent

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thanks man!

I'd listen to holding down the fort since they know what an ehmer sling is.
    Never confuse enthusiasm for capability

I believe I would follow the dog's Vet advice or the fort's. maybe our resident Vet will chime in , if not, I can understand. Fort sound's like he is knowledgeable , if he is LW that was on my hall at CU I would go with his recs.