Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New bill to allow shooting animals in self-defense

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    But I remember what happened the last time someone promised hope and change.

So do I, the flag got taken down.

Quote Originally Posted by Geetch View Post
    So do I, the flag got taken down.
    Read the rules Geetch. This forum does not allow your type of post. By all means, start one in another forum. I will follow you to it.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

I know a man who had a 5 foot gator come up into his yard. It was after his dog. He placed a kiddie pool over the gator and put a weight on top.

He then called DNR to come get the unharmed gator.

DNR arrived and wrote him a ticket for capturing the gator. The officer said he had to follow the strict interpretation of the law.

I know a man who had a 5 foot gator come up into his yard. It was after his dog. He placed a kiddie pool over the gator and put a weight on top.

DNR arrived and wrote him a ticket for capturing the gator. The officer said he had to follow the strict interpretation of the law.
    Then that officer is an absolute idiot and should be terminated from his position, because he DID NOT have to write him a ticket. I, along with every other person in this state, have the right to defend myself and my propert.

And I'm not trying to start an argument with you.
    Last edited by fuzzy; 12-15-2016 at 09:32 PM.

One would hope DNR law enforcement would use discretion in prosecution.

One would also hope a jury would use reason.
    My first post.

We can argue in here. Just stick to the subject and don't be rude. Pretend we are all sitting at a board room table.

It's not the LEO's job to be the judge or jurist, but to arrange the meeting.

But in the field, one would have to use discretion. Also, I would hope someone would kick me in the nads for calling an officer in the event described above happened.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

DT, it seems like the law is trying to legislate common sense, which rarely works out as intended...the two problems I pointed out with the current version of the bill are examples of that. The DNR officer example you gave is an employee problem, not a law problem. Self defense is a common law concept that was eventually codified in the homicide/assault context. I would argue the common law foundations of self-defense still exist for all other situations, including the uncontroversial notion that a man can kill any animal that endangers his or another's life.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    It's not the LEO's job to be the judge or jurist, but to arrange the meeting.

But in the field, one would have to use discretion. Also, I would hope someone would kick me in the nads for calling an officer in the event described above happened.
    That is my point about not having to write a ticket. That would be a prime example of an officer using discretion. If they don't know how to do that, then they absolutely do not need to be in any type of a position with authority.

Quote Originally Posted by LC17 View Post
    DT, it seems like the law is trying to legislate common sense, which rarely works out as intended...the two problems I pointed out with the current version of the bill are examples of that. The DNR officer example you gave is an employee problem, not a law problem. Self defense is a common law concept that was eventually codified in the homicide/assault context. I would argue the common law foundations of self-defense still exist for all other situations, including the uncontroversial notion that a man can kill any animal that endangers his or another's life.

Your verbiage is much more eloquent than mine, and explains my point better.

I understand you cannot write a law to prevent stupidity.

Not sure why deer were excluded.

Quote Originally Posted by LC17 View Post
    Didn't the court throw out the Castle Doctrine?

I don't know, but I don't think it matters. That doctrine is a subpart of the longstanding general principles of self-defense, which I don't believe have changed. On the other hand, this bill changes things in at least two ways, as I've pointed out.

Didn't the court throw out the Castle Doctrine?
    You bring up another important topic that deserves it's own thread. Here's two recent articles on the subject that outline some of the present issues...

http://www.deatonlaw.net/south-carol...ur-ground-law/

https://thinkprogress.org/south-caro...75c#.3nh6hhm4t
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Dt--can you answer why legislators think they must come up with more laws? You already pointed out the absurdity of upholding the law and prosecution. Why in the world would we want more laws?

I am also curious how you people come up with these ideas? Do you sit around the board room table talking amongst yourselves to come up with other laws to make? Do you get extra brownie points for putting your name on bills like this?
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Turkeys are now wearing colors and flashing gang signs.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

I suspect the number of bears and alligators shot in "self defense" would increase substantially.

One would hope DNR law enforcement would use discretion in prosecution.

One would also hope a jury would use reason.
    One would also hope that state senators have more important things to do than sit around and come up with bills as trivial as this one.

This bill is embarrassing, completely unnecessary, and does nothing but legalize Jim Bob to shoot whatever the hell he wants in the name of "he was bout to attack my weiner dog, Bo" - whether that was the case or not, as there's no way to prove otherwise.

Pretty much right on par with most "grand" ideas thought up by SC politicians regarding wildlife management.

Generally bills are proposed in response to a grievous act. Someone done wrong.

Most bills tweak existing law.

Imagine a lone gunman arrives at an elementary school and begins shooting it up. Lets say a volunteer fireman arrives on the scene in response to the call for help. He has a concealed weapons permit and uses a pointed gun to convince the shooter to put down his weapon. He now has committed a felony by threatening someone with a gun in a gun free zone.

Two outcomes. 1. He is labeled a hero and praised for his bravery. No charges are filed.
    2. He broke the law and is arrested, charged and tried.

A lawmaker thinks all first responders should be able tow carry and proposes a law to allow it. Knowing educators will oppose it he adds that they must go thru training and become a 4th class of law enforcement.

That is how it often begins.
    Last edited by Duck Tape; 12-21-2016 at 08:58 AM.

Sounds like you're talking about my dad capturing that gator in the lake house yard a couple years ago around Thanksgiving. Thank you for helping us get that mess straightened out.

I imagine Senator Campsen experienced a similar complaint or had a dangerous situation that could have ended with a ticket.