Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New bill to allow shooting animals in self-defense

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    One would hope DNR law enforcement would use discretion in prosecution.
    Because they ALWAYS do, right?

I imagine Senator Campsen experienced a similar complaint or had a dangerous situation that could have ended with a ticket.
    And that warrants passing a law? You've got to be kidding me. Deal with it as it comes. If some dangerous animal is threatening you, is the extremely unlikely event of you getting a ticket, going to stop you from taking action?

Generally bills are proposed in response to a grievous act. Someone done wrong.

Most bills tweak existing law.

Imagine a lone gunman arrives at an elementary school and begins shooting it up. Lets say a volunteer fireman arrives on the scene in response to the call for help. He has a concealed weapons permit and uses a pointed gun to convince the shooter to put down his weapon. He now has committed a felony by threatening someone with a gun in a gun free zone.

Two outcomes. 1. He is labeled a hero and praised for his bravery. No charges are filed.
    2. He broke the law and is arrested, charged and tried.

A lawmaker thinks all first responders should be able tow carry and proposes a law to allow it. Knowing educators will oppose it he adds that they must go thru training and become a 4th class of law enforcement.

That is how it often begins.
    You're trying to make a connection between the repercussions of pulling a gun on someone in a school and someone shooting an alligator because it tried to eat his dachshund...Come back to earth.

no, he's trying to justify writing a bill to create a new law to further tweak (sic) an existing law.

This is the slippery slope most of us agree is the big issue in politics. They try to mandate ever damn thing. This is a huge reason I dont want a "law" that allows for gun ownership. Its only a couple of "tweaks" from changing into something we dont want.

I would love for DT to lead the charge NOT TO MAKE ANY MORE DAMN LAWS
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

DT, speaking of new laws, what's up with this proposed bill: http://www.postandcourier.com/news/b...7c03ac840.html.

Aren't the Board members political appointees?

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Woodie View Post
    Sounds like you're talking about my dad capturing that gator in the lake house yard a couple years ago around Thanksgiving. Thank you for helping us get that mess straightened out.
    The fact that this happened and the officer didn't show any regard for common sense is the reason why so few trust green jeans.
    “The price of freedom is eternal vigilance” - Thomas Jefferson