Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Side scan sonar

Default Side scan sonar

Just got a new to me boat and looking for a good side scan unit for finding brush/stumps for crappie fishing in the spring. I have Simrad and Garmin unit on my big boat and like those but have no real experience with side scan. These are the couple units I'm looking at right now. Any input?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Simra...se%26CQ_st%3Db

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/produ...C=cat104707080

That second Garmin looks like a killer deal. I bought the hummingbird helix I think its called ?
    I used to drink like a fish and run like a dog
    Done a whole lotta shit not permitted by law
    People call me the Picasso of painting the town

Newest gen of Lowrance.

Period. Dot.

Get the biggest screen you can afford.

Enjoy your fishing.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

I got that exact Garmin and I love it. Side scan looks really good. I just need to learn how to read it. I love it.
    Life's a garden, Dig it.

How does the 'Down and Side Scan' compare to the units with 'Dual Scan'? I was looking at a Helix unit to replace my old Hummingbird, but am not familiar with the new technology.

My old unit does 'wide scan', etc, and shows the bottom and finds fish, that's about it.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

HDS Gen 3

Just put a hook-7 on the boat with downscan etc but no sidescan. Works great for the $. Cabela's had um on sale last week for 399. I paid like 449. I would have gone bigger but all the room I had
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Helix units are the shit
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

I thought about the hummingbird units also but haven't had the greatest luck with them in the past. They may have come along since the ones I've had.

Quote Originally Posted by jws View Post
    I thought about the hummingbird units also but haven't had the greatest luck with them in the past. They may have come along since the ones I've had.
    I like my HB. It does not have side image but has down image. Works as it should.

What boat did you get?

Bought two helix 9s. I use them for a bunch of ledge and brush pile fishing. Updated to a Hd transducer and it's amazing what you can see. Also have auto chart live and it can be set to 1' increments. Comes in handy when fishing a flat and fish are holding in the small depressions. Down side to helix units is the 9" is the smallest size that will network.
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    I like my HB. It does not have side image but has down image. Works as it should.

What boat did you get?
    I got an 18' Express

That'll work.

Don't over think a brush pile. Go get you a X-4 for 199 at walmart. What I got in the duck boat. GPS and all but just black and white screen.
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Most of what I fish is in around 6' so pulling up over a brush pile and marking it is what im trying to avoid since the water is so shallow. That's why I want to try a side scan unit.

Most of what I fish is in around 6' so pulling up over a brush pile and marking it is what im trying to avoid since the water is so shallow. That's why I want to try a side scan unit.
    I don't crappie fish so I don't know how close they will allow you to get but you won't get much on either side in 6' with side scan. You need 360 to get a decent image before you get on top of it.

Get of the wallet a go get one. Bout 6-700 min. for a good one with sidescan. Juice ain't worth if for me.

Griffin is correct. I like lowrance but I think Hummingbird side scan does a little better job in 10 ft or less. Lowrance has a clearer down scan image, imo. Marking fish will be hard in shallow water. They scurry off to the side in shallow water. When you ride over brush piles you can move your cursor over and place a waypoint......with both/all units without stopping or circling back.
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 12-14-2016 at 10:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    I don't crappie fish so I don't know how close they will allow you to get but you won't get much on either side in 6' with side scan. You need 360 to get a decent image before you get on top of it.
    Helix may be the way to go.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk