Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Christmas Fly Fishing

Default Christmas Fly Fishing

Anyone thinking about heading to the mountains to do a little fly fishing over the Holidays?

I'm hoping to wet some lines that haven't seen water in a long time, and christen a new 4 wt.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Is this a passion thread?

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    Is this a passion thread?

I sure hope not! I'm not looking for an overnight camping partner, in case you were looking for one.
    ~ George Washington

Doubt I'll make it up to the mountains, but I'll cast nymphs to tamie trout in the lower Saluda over the holidays.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post

I sure hope not! I'm not looking for an overnight camping partner, in case you were looking for one.

I was just checking. It kinda sounded like it.

Foscoe Fishing Company would always give me the low down on what to cast. Those guys were saints to me in my younger years.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    Doubt I'll make it up to the mountains, but I'll cast nymphs to tamie trout in the lower Saluda over the holidays.

Solid new borns

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone thinking about heading to the mountains to do a little fly fishing over the Holidays?

I'm hoping to wet some lines that haven't seen water in a long time, and christen a new 4 wt.
    Id love to come up there and wet a line with you sometime. Maybe come springtime. Gotta get this new little one here first
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Now that my family has moved it will be my first Christmas not throwing clousers at winter snook backed up in canals, but I won't miss the 9hr drive.

No problem, reeltight. I realize it's a common dilemma for you lower State guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlight Hunter View Post
    Foscoe Fishing Company would always give me the low down on what to cast. Those guys were saints to me in my younger years.
    Where are they?

Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    Id love to come up there and wet a line with you sometime. Maybe come springtime. Gotta get this new little one here first
    I'd love to have an excuse to get up there in the Spring. Just let me know. No 'passion', though, or one of these closet hangers will want to join us.
    ~ George Washington

No problem, reeltight. I realize it's a common dilemma for you lower State guys.

Where are they?

I'd love to have an excuse to get up there in the Spring. Just let me know. No 'passion', though, or one of these closet hangers will want to join us.
    If phoneman plans the trip let me know. I'll ride up just to give y'all support. Maybe we can get Tee to take us striper fishing. Forget the trout.

Foscoe is just above boone on the way to grandfather mountain or thereabouts. They were super nice to me the time i went there.
    Last edited by Phone Man; 12-13-2016 at 11:29 PM.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin' Labs View Post
    If phoneman plans the trip let me know. I'll ride up just to give y'all support. Maybe we can get Tee to take us striper fishing. Forget the trout.
    That sounds like a good start to a plan.
    Foscoe is just above boone on the way to grandfather mountain or thereabouts. They were super nice to me the time i went there.
    "I see", said the blind man. I've never spent any time fishing in NC. What little experience I've got is in SC, and years ago out in the Cascades in WA State,
    ~ George Washington

I'm gonna learn how to catch a trout one day.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    I'm gonna learn how to catch a trout one day.
    Spinning rod and a can of corn!!

Spinning rod and a can of corn!!
    In Idaho they used marshmellows and red worms.

I imagine the corn would be cheaper.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

I'd like to go, never Fly fished but I can use a open face!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Indeed, yet I have killed no Jack Miners today, this month, or this season as our boy DHall has. I am more jealous of his awesome pig of a bird than everyone else combined.

First Peter 5:7 "Cast all your care upon God"

if you go, pick a day that is warmer than the others. Fish started to slow down last weekend. My wife (who fishes way more than me) got skunked for the first time in 4 years on sunday

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    The SC mountain trout really aren't more wild. Just different scenery. Those rivers will look like the Cherry Grove pier during the spot run when the stocking trucks get done. The small water brook trout are a different story.

I plan on going. I have a fiberglass 4wt that I need to finish building that I would like to take up there. I want to go back to the Eastatoe. That river kicked my ass last time I was there. Its a pretty good hike in, and the hike out is rough, but I'm pretty sure I was the only soul on the water.