Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Christmas Fly Fishing

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    Anyone thinking about heading to the mountains to do a little fly fishing over the Holidays?

I'm hoping to wet some lines that haven't seen water in a long time, and christen a new 4 wt.
    I'll be heading up to trout fish... Won't be fly fishing though
    "I swear if I found you in a marsh I don't know that I could keep myself from mud stomping you" -Griffin

Quote Originally Posted by QuacKing View Post
    I plan on going. I have a fiberglass 4wt that I need to finish building that I would like to take up there. I want to go back to the Eastatoe. That river kicked my ass last time I was there. Its a pretty good hike in, and the hike out is rough, but I'm pretty sure I was the only soul on the water.
    The Eastatoe is a fun river, but certain parts will try to kill you. I've dunked my waders more than a few times, came face to face with the largest cotton mouth of my life, and met an extra from the movie Deliverance. Oh yeah, and that time I hiked the trail above twin falls, but wanted to fish below the falls. Going down wasn't nearly as bad as going back up.

Quote Originally Posted by WNM View Post
    The SC mountain trout really aren't more wild. Just different scenery. Those rivers will look like the Cherry Grove pier during the spot run when the stocking trucks get done. The small water brook trout are a different story.
    And you have to hike your tail off to get them
    "I swear if I found you in a marsh I don't know that I could keep myself from mud stomping you" -Griffin

Those Appalachian stream cottonmouth's are much more deadly than their east of the fall line cousins. You narrowly averted disaster.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

A rock under my foot gave way so I reached out to brace myself on a brush pile. He was about a foot away, mouth open, and no smaller than my arm. Being a hour hike from my vehicle I would have been dead for sure.

You must have hit your head and didn't realize it.

The best SC (and GA) trout fishing I ever had always took a lot of hiking and wading. We had a place in Georgia east of Clayton where we used to wear 'em out.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen