Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Metal Detecting

Default Metal Detecting

Anybody ever taken it up as a hobby? My son and his friend like to tinker around in the yard and was thinking it would be a cool thing for me and him to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Father in law is big time in it
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Indeed, yet I have killed no Jack Miners today, this month, or this season as our boy DHall has. I am more jealous of his awesome pig of a bird than everyone else combined.

First Peter 5:7 "Cast all your care upon God"

I've done it as a hobby, but my neighbor's metal detector has come in handy a few times when I've lost something, or in trying to locate buried corner stakes and barbed wire tangled in brushy weeds.

Have you ever watched that show with the two crazy dudes who detect artifacts around the country? They're so goofy they're funny, but they do find some cool stuff.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

A buddy of mine does it. He found a CSA belt buckle that belonged to an officer. Sold it for 8k. It would be fun, and I'm sure your son would enjoy hanging out with you.

Default Metal Detecting

Guess I would just need to do some research to find some places to look for some interesting stuff outside of nails and bottle tops.

Last edited by b35w; 12-11-2016 at 05:06 PM.

My wife has expressed interest in it as well. I need to research a decent detector that can discriminate the types of metals. I know a few spots that would be good to go, my in-laws have a pasture where a few bullets and buttons from the civil war are frequently found,

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

i was pretty into it for about 5-6 years. when i was a young teen. found a bunch of cool stuff, lots of civil and rev war artifacts. buttons, bullets, coins, etc. its a really fun hobby, especially if you have some good ground to search. old home sites, old road beds, fair grounds, any old civil war camps/ skirmish sites.

the hardest part is getting permission.

getting a good detector, and learning that machine is the most important part. unless you want to dig up old nails until your arms are jello.

Quote Originally Posted by dixiedeerslaya View Post
    i was pretty into it for about 5-6 years. when i was a young teen. found a bunch of cool stuff, lots of civil and rev war artifacts. buttons, bullets, coins, etc. its a really fun hobby, especially if you have some good ground to search. old home sites, old road beds, fair grounds, any old civil war camps/ skirmish sites.

the hardest part is getting permission.

getting a good detector, and learning that machine is the most important part. unless you want to dig up old nails until your arms are jello.

How much is a good detector?

Where would one start to finding good grounds?

My wife wanted to start metal detecting ... I bought her one, she used it for 2 weeks, and now it's been sitting in my garage for 4 years untouched.

Quote Originally Posted by b35w View Post

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post
    My wife wanted to start metal detecting ... I bought her one, she used it for 2 weeks, and now it's been sitting in my garage for 4 years untouched.
    Sounds like y'all need to get together.

Quote Originally Posted by b35w View Post

its been 15 years since i was up to date in the metal detector technology, but back then i got a pretty good Whites for around $500. im sure that now days, the same technology i paid 500 for 15 years ago could be had for much cheaper.

finding good metal detecting land is about like finding good deer hunting ground. i would start by looking for AG fields near rivers or creeks. ride around and look at fields.. you can usually spot the old home sites by where the broken glass is, and most importantly, look for the highest hill in the field. thats almost always where the home sites were. find out who owns it and ask. usually you will have to contact a farmer or hunter of said land and work out an agreement (dont metal detect once i plant, or dont metal detect until after deer season) but alot of times people are interested on what can be found on their land and are willing to grant permission. alot of times we used to tell the land owner that we would stop by and show them what we had found and they were usually very interseted.

I love to do it until I dig up my 30th piece of wire, beer can or shot gun shell then I go home. The metal detector makes all the difference in the world.

get a copy of the war of the rebellion and read about camp sites, etc. in SC.

Like DDS i was into it big time for awhile. It was fun to pass the time between Deer and Turkey Season. Found a bunch of bullets, buttons, camp lead, etc.

Old homesites, former campsites, etc. Gotta do research.

I know guys into it in the lowcountry that used to spend half the year detecting and half the year researching sites from history books and records.

Also, old maps are of huge help.
    Last edited by LowcountryBuck; 12-12-2016 at 10:50 AM.

While you're at it, go ahead and figure in the cost of a handheld pin-pointer. Real pain in the butt kneeling down to start digging and then having to re-scan with the main detector.

I can just see yall boys now, down at myrtle beach, speedo, and earphones on swinging that metal detector back and forth....
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

I'd love to go through our little piece of property with a metal detector. I can't be certain but I'm fairly confident there were some sort of battles fought on or near by. You can walk pieces of the property and see where old trenches were, and there is a gravesite on the neighbors property.

I've heard Garrett are good ones. I got my interest peaked watching that digger show also. Looked into it but then something else came along and I got side tracked. Oh look a squirrel.
    Last edited by rodandgun83; 12-12-2016 at 02:20 PM.
    Non Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by quack head 11 View Post
    I can just see yall boys now, down at myrtle beach, speedo, and earphones on swinging that metal detector back and forth....
    You'd be surprised how much jewelry, rings, etc get lost at the beach. A couple of years ago a guy from Ohio posted at that forum I linked the he found a Superbowl ring at Myrtle Beach. He posted the picture of the ring.

It wasn't hard to figure out who it belonged to so he sent it to the player. The player said he lost it while he was on the beach 2 weeks before it was found. I can't remember who the player was right now (I'll see if I can find the post again) but the guy that found and returned the ring said the player never even said "thank you".
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Found it. He is from West Virginia:

UPDATED 11/10/2010 It has been nearly 2 & 1/2 years since the Super Bowl Ring was found and I think it is time to release the name of the player who lost the ring. Many people think I should release the name and I think it is only fair to everyone to see who lost the ring. Many people have guessed but strangely enough, noone has guessed it correctly. The players name is Darren Barnett, Number 41, as shown on the new pictures. Still haven't heard from him or any NYG staff. Well, I have really enjoyed everyones comments and opinions. Had a good summer with 40+ gold rings and 60 or so silver, titanium, and tungsten rings. Ran into several people at the beach who read this story on here and that was really cool. Hope to see more of you guys & gals hunting in the field. Can't wait until summer gets here, but hunkering down for winter. I try to answer all comments that are made on here. I will try and post a still pic of me giving him his ring back, when I figure out how to convert video into stills. It has been fun. Keep Your Loops Swinging & Good Luck To ALL and God Bless ALL!