Thread: Core stability and grip destroyer

Default Core stability and grip destroyer

So I workout from home out of my garage gym. Most months out of the year I try to follow some sort of progression program that will help towards my goals but once hunting season comes in my schedule is too varied for any real program to work. During this time I like to bounce around between wod's posted on forums or by athletes, crossfit.com and every once a while I come up with a decent one on my own.

Today I programmed my own out of boredom. The talk around the workout water cooler as of late has been around unilateral/core stability and that's where I took it.

FT:
    200m KB farmers carry (55lb kb Right hand, 35lb kb Left hand, 100m then switch)
    5- Strict pullups
    10- Kb Deadlifts (55lb kb Right, 35lb kb Left, 5 reps then switch)
    20- Box step ups, 55lb KB (10 right foot, 10 left foot, alternating KB accordingly)

200m KB farmers carry (55lb kb Right, 35lb kb Left, 100m then switch)
    5- Strict pullups
    30- Single arm Russian Kb swings, 55lbs KB (15 right, 15 left)

200m KB farmers carry (55lb kb Right, 35lb kb Left, 100m then switch)
    5- Strict pullups
    40- KB Goblet Squats, 55lb KB

TIME- 21:06

I was pretty strict on myself during the workout. No repped myself several times, especially during the KB dead lifts. If a KB touched the ground before the other, I considered it a no rep because I was obviously letting my form break down.

Also managed to forget my own rep scheme first round in when I bypassed the Deadlifts. I realized it 10 reps into the box step ups and made myself start back over after I did the deadlifts.

If I had to go back and re-write it, I would change the 40 KB Goblet squats to 40 front rack KB squats, using both the 35lb and 55lbs KB's, rotating sides at the 20 rep mark, only to follow with the lateral stability theme.

If you're bored, give it a shot. Let me know what you think. Some of you cooler kids might be able to handle the 70lbs and 55lbs KB. The faint of heart my consider a 20lbs and 35lb KB.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

I've never seen the different weight kb in each hand at our gym. What's the thought-process there? Create an imbalance?
    Carolina Counsel

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Counsel View Post
    I've never seen the different weight kb in each hand at our gym. What's the thought-process there? Create an imbalance?
    Exactly that. Just like suitcase deadlifts, single arm oh squats, etc. The difference in weight requires better bracing from the core, so you keep the weight light and focus on form. It can really do some work to your midline if you do it right.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

MM, if you really want to mix it up carry your heavy KB low and the lighter one locked out in the overhead position. We do these regularly for shoulder strength and core stability. We call them Farmer's/Waiter's carries. 70 feet down, switch 'em around and 70 feet back is "one rep" in our gym. I go 2 pood in the low and 1.5 pood high. It will rip you up and spit you out.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    MM, if you really want to mix it up carry your heavy KB low and the lighter one locked out in the overhead position. We do these regularly for shoulder strength and core stability. We call them Farmer's/Waiter's carries. 70 feet down, switch 'em around and 70 feet back is "one rep" in our gym. I go 2 pood in the low and 1.5 pood high. It will rip you up and spit you out.
    I have seen those online, haven't tried them yet though. Throw in some turkish get ups and a rest day to follow.

Turkish get ups are evil. I cringe every time I hear them mentioned.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Pretty good crossfitting mollie

Got a Crossfit gym coming to Newberry SW if you ain't heard. I be like up there rippin WOD.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Why not skip all that shit and shoot some steroids?
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.