Thread: Wireless Security Cameras

Default Wireless Security Cameras

Anyone have any experience with outdoor wi-fi security cameras? Was considering one for hunt club.

What types are best? Nest? Amcrest?

We have wireless modem but is any additional hardware required?

Shoot Millero or CCLeroy a pm.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/

Sent via TapaTalk on S7 Edge.

Quote Originally Posted by USMCsilver View Post

Do you have any? Curious how they are.

I've been looking at the arlo setup as well but don't like that they are battery operated. Reviews are all over the place when it comes to battery life.
    Last edited by uga_dawg; 12-04-2016 at 08:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by straightline View Post
    Not yet. I'm seriously considering these instead of Nest. I had Iris by Lowes, but after a software revamp, I returned nearly $1k of stuff back to the store.

Hmm...Cnet is slamming these things HARD.

It's for a hunt club and don't need crap that talks or other bells and whistles. Just looking for straight up camera/video recorder. Would like to have sent to phone via wifi.

Options? Hardware requirements?

We have a Q-see system at the office. 16 camera set up hooked in to the innernets. I have this app thingy on my phone and I can creep on my folks any time I want.

That being said I'm just tin foil hattish enough to NOT have a security system in my home hooked to the on line. The gubbmint can get in your wires and see what you've got going on if you do. No thanks.

Not yet. I'm seriously considering these instead of Nest. I had Iris by Lowes, but after a software revamp, I returned nearly $1k of stuff back to the store.

Quote Originally Posted by straightline View Post

Did some more reading on this and I think I'm going to try the Arlo. Battery life is a concern, but the fact that it is totally wireless will work best for a few outside cameras at my mom's house.

Sounds like setup is key with battery life. I also like the fact that they can be wired to power if needed and that the batteries are rechargeable on the new model.

Pretty good article on the comparison between them and Nest. But note that this is for the latest version, which is the Pro.

http://smarthomesolver.com/reviews/n...-flex-vs-arlo/

Why do you need wireless cameras?

Quote Originally Posted by millero View Post
    Why do you need wireless cameras?
    My main reasoning is its an older brick house with shoddy attic and crawlspace access that she doesn't want to stay in long term. So I'm reluctant to run a bunch of wires.

Basically I'm looking for 2-3 outdoor cameras that she can access remotely and will give her alerts when motion is detected. It needs to be simple to use and simple to support as I will be the one getting the support calls and I don't live near by. As long as its an app she can pull up on her phone or a website, she is good. Geofencing for alerts would be a nice feature and I don't care about audio or the ability to talk to someone through the camera.

The biggest downside to the arlo that I see is I have to rely on her to change the batteries when they die.

So with that said, what would you suggest? I'll be installing it when I'm down there at Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by sc_slim View Post
    It's for a hunt club and don't need crap that talks or other bells and whistles. Just looking for straight up camera/video recorder. Would like to have sent to phone via wifi.

Options? Hardware requirements?
    I use these. Sends pics to your phone, triggered by sound or motion. And you can watch live stream. 20$ a year gets online storage of video clips.
    Nothing needed but wifi connection and smart phone.
    https://www.amazon.com/Motorola-FOCU...ireless+camera

I'm really happy with arlo. I have them at the house and work. not pro.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

For what it's worth, I just installed my Nest Cam. I've got a Nest thermostat and I really like it.

The other day, I also added a WeMo switch to a 12' housing of dual LED bulbs. I mounted this above our cabinets.

I can use my Amazon Echo to tell Alexis "Turn on the lights." The light fixture then comes on.

I've also made a "rule" so that when my, or my wife's, phone arrives back home when it's dark outside, for the LED lights to automatically come on.

The camera knows when I'm away, and it'll record when my phone is not at the house. Also, when the thermostat senses motion, the LED light will come on, too, but only when the phone isn't home.

The video is nice and crisp. Night vision is pretty darn good. So far, after less than an hour of ownership, I'm impressed.

I also ordered a Nest outdoor camera today. Gonna get that set up next week.

Lastly, I am going to install 7 Mr. Beams networked, wireless/cordless, motion sensor LED spotlights tomorrow. http://www.mrbeams.com/mbn352-mr-bea...ight-netbright They're going outside. When one turns on, they all turn on. One for each corner of the house, two on each end of the front porch, and one at the trees in the middle of the circle drive. Should light everything up quite well upon arrival.

Well, outdoor camera is up and running. Just got it put out there in the dark. Easier than setting up a new laptop.

My phone alerted me this morning of "sound in den" today. Sure enough, at the same time Amazon confirmed delivery of a package, the mic on the camera picked up the knocking at the door. Good stuff.

Just wanted to update this...

Lastly, I am going to install 7 Mr. Beams networked, wireless/cordless, motion sensor LED spotlights tomorrow. http://www.mrbeams.com/mbn352-mr-bea...ight-netbright They're going outside. When one turns on, they all turn on. One for each corner of the house, two on each end of the front porch, and one at the trees in the middle of the circle drive. Should light everything up quite well upon arrival.
    I wouldn't waste your money on these. I had 3 installed at my house and ended up taking them down and sending them back. The ability to link all the lights together, wirelessly, was nice but the lights only stay on for about 10 seconds. Also, I didn't think they were bright enough as they didn't really light up the areas they were installed but were more of a concentrated spot-light. This is just my $0.02 based on my experience, but you may have a better experience.
    :FYT:

Quote Originally Posted by ECUPirate View Post
    I wouldn't waste your money on these. I had 3 installed at my house and ended up taking them down and sending them back. The ability to link all the lights together, wirelessly, was nice but the lights only stay on for about 10 seconds. Also, I didn't think they were bright enough as they didn't really light up the areas they were installed but were more of a concentrated spot-light. This is just my $0.02 based on my experience, but you may have a better experience.
    Thanks for your input.

I actually got them for about $15/pair. For what I've got in them, they'll probably serve the purpose for what I'm after. I'm out in the woods in a log house with no real external lighting, nor an easy ability to wire something. So, hopefully these will just illuminate the area when someone arrives.