Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Excited to go OOS

Default Excited to go OOS

Been duck hunting for probably 40 years off and on in SC, planning a trip with my son in two weeks to Arkansas to a friend of his's lease. 1st time ever OOS to hunt, son says I'll never want to go hunting around the upstate again. He went quite a few times while in College during Christmas break and he doesn't really hunt in SC anymore. Do you think the trip will ruin SC hunting for me? Looking forward to it either way!

Public water...yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckin Bronco View Post
    Yep. I have a border collie mix that is smarter than most of the people on this site.
    The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

100% yes
    2013 Spring Turkey Champs

Unfortunately yes.

yep

You will be, as pawpaw would say "rurn't"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Some high society lady says is your horse outside, no ma'am he's between my legs, but you're too fat to ride" Hank Jr

If duck hunting is in your blood, it won't change you a bit.

I've been to many states, and I'd rather sit in a public SC marsh or tucked up under a cypress anyday.

Dwayne spends most of his season west of the Mississippi, and when he comes home.....he can be seen at a public ramp with a boat load of ringnecks from public water in Berkeley county.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Just because you're going to Arkansas doesn't mean you're going to limit out everyday or at all. If you've hunted for 40 years I think you'll understand it.
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

Going out of state made me deer hunt more here. Still get after the ducks, but if scouting isnt showing good numbers of birds.... Im climbing a tree.

Good luck on your trip!

It doesn't matter if you are in state or out. The experience at either that could ruin ones outlook. Hunting out of state with no birds and no intrusion of the masses is far better than an in state hunt with birds but full of yahoos. And visa versa. It's all about the hunt. Enjoy the trip with your son. That's what counts!
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

Quote Originally Posted by tot View Post
    Going out of state made me deer hunt more here. Still get after the ducks, but if scouting isnt showing good numbers of birds.... Im climbing a tree.

Good luck on your trip!
    Same here.
    Warning: The Surgeon General has determined that turkey hunting is an addictive activity that will disrupt normal sleep patterns!

Quote Originally Posted by tot View Post

Good luck on your trip!
    YEP
    I used to drink like a fish and run like a dog
    Done a whole lotta shit not permitted by law
    People call me the Picasso of painting the town

[QUOTE][It doesn't matter if you are in state or out. The experience at either that could ruin ones outlook. Hunting out of state with no birds and no intrusion of the masses is far better than an in state hunt with birds but full of yahoos. And visa versa. It's all about the hunt. Enjoy the trip with your son. That's what counts!/QUOTE]

Agreed

It will make you appreciate the good days you have in SC, especially upstate but I don't think it will ruin you.

If ducks are in your blood, I can't imagine how it ruins it for you. I've had some of the finest OOS hunting you could get...drove 14 hrs nonstop pull up at a ramp and go chase wood ducks.

I know guys that say " ah I don't hunt in state anymore because there's no ducks" BS....I understand people get tired of dealing with and fighting crowds, buts that why I work extra hard to try and get away from other people.
    I normally only run into folks a couple times of year, normally when college kids are home. Most of the time the run in is not bad at all, just young fellas not knowing how much space to give someone else. I can. Honestly say I've only ever had 2 experiences where I almost caught a charge on public water, once I had a nephew with me, the other time some guys rolled through the fog trying to jump shoot my decoys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Roddie View Post
    SCducks is not checkers, it's chess.

I flew in from slap killing ducks in Mexico for almost a solid week..to wake up and shoot woodducks the last day of our season.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    If duck hunting is in your blood, it won't change you a bit.

I've been to many states, and I'd rather sit in a public SC marsh or tucked up under a cypress anyday.

Dwayne spends most of his season west of the Mississippi, and when he comes home.....he can be seen at a public ramp with a boat load of ringnecks from public water in Berkeley county.
    This right here. If you got it in you, nothing could change the way you feel.
    867-5309

Your son is wise beyond his years.
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

It all depends on if you like duck hunting or love duck hunting.
    Molon Labe
    HRCH Coal's Sparkleberry Cache MH

I learned to love hunting ducks in South Carolina and(as awesome as it is) no amount of mallards falling through green timber or piling into a flooded rice field is going to make me not love hunting at home. I don't get to go as much as I would like so when I do hunt its time taken off work and I'll end up out of state. But give me a good public water hunt in one of the spots I cut my teeth in and its right up there in my book.
    "Never Trust a Skinny Chef."