Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mud boat?

Default Mud boat?

So I have been on mudmotortalk reading a bunch about boats and motors. It's like anything else, everyone has an opinion and there all different. I really don't care what looks cool or is the latest trend. More looking for a tried and true duck hunting set up. I dont need the fastest boat, just want it to fire up every time i hit the key. I want to stay 16 or 17' with a surface drive. It will see everything from the coast to timber in AR. I will probably find a used setup. With that said what do yall like.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

You need to stay with a 15 or 16 x 44 or 50 wide at the most if you plan on hunting timber. Spend the money and buy a true mud hull with longitudinal ribs and .125 aluminum. Don't put to many boxes and bullshit in the boat. I like a Gatortrax personally because of the round chines and solid construction.

I ran a gatortail motor for years and sold it to another member on here. Reliable and easy to work on. You need to decide between carb vs EFI. Customer service is another factor.

Yes. I will buy a true mud hull. I currently run a 1756 edge with a 60 Yamaha. I understand the limitations of a bigger boat but for me it outweighs the negatives.

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

Search Go Devil surface drive boats & motors. They are priced more aggressive than just about anybody in the market.
    "run and gun guide service"

If I ever get my shit together I'll have a mud rig and a lake rig. I have recurring dreams of E. Taylor's boat and usually wake up with a stiffy. That said, I do like the round chines of the Gator Trax.
    Last edited by triplebeard; 11-28-2016 at 03:26 PM.

I saw this the other day at the gas station..... should fit your needs
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

My experience with mud rigs taught me that it's impossible to have one rig to do it all. I've had a longtail rig and a surface drive rig. If you carry more than 2 people and a good bit of gear you will need a 50" wide boat. I had a 1744 with a 35 and it couldn't carry 3 guys including me, 3 dozen decoys, dog and basic gear. Load balance is very important and with that boat and I tried a bunch of different things and still only ran 14ish with that load. My longtail rig was a 1542 duracraft with an 18hp and it ran about 12 with the same load.

My plan is to stick with my outboard rig for most areas and maybe someday get a small longtail rig as a secondary boat if situation requires a mud motor. I'm sure my take on it is different than some others and someone will come tell me I'm doing something wrong but just wanted to give my experience and two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by triplebeard View Post
    If I ever get my shit together I'll have a mud rig and a lake rig. I have recurring dreams of E. Taylor's boat and usually wake up with a stiffy. That said, I do like the round chines of the Gator Trax.
    I will have another mud boat! Miss my Geaux Custom big time. Now that I don't have a truck or boat payment it is time to start looking again!
    "If its better than cold beer and hot pussy it'll probably kill us all" ~ Rebel Son

Stay with a stock motor. Run a hull that it will push. I run a 15/44 with huntdeck get enough speed and can cary plenty of gear.
    I don't belive in miracles, I rely on them.

I have 2 17' boats. I wanna diversify a little. I have just redone my side console boat to be a little better suited to hunt big water. A mud rig is what I'm after. I'll probably buy a high tide for summer time fishing. So this won't be the only boat in the shed.

Quote Originally Posted by JBK View Post
    Yes. I will buy a true mud hull. I currently run a 1756 edge with a 60 Yamaha. I understand the limitations of a bigger boat but for me it outweighs the negatives.
    Let me know when you sell this

I have an 18X48 ProDrive with carb. It will carry the whole circus but will not win the race. Great for most any FLAT WATER need of hunting and fishing. It is not going to pull a tube or skier, etc. Missions that include going in and out of gear a great deal surface drive will frustrate you. There is so much torque that there is a harsh jerk that will not make the person running the shrimp or bait net on the boat happy. I agree with the open floor plan. These motors are still being scienced out each year. Buy the newest one you can find. A ten year old outboard is not that much different than a new one but a five year old mud motor is a completely different motor than a new one. Good luck with the hunt for a new boat. If you want to run my rig before you buy one you are welcome to come and try it, but it is not for sale. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

I have gone through a ton of boats and motors in the quest for a perfect boat. I Am glad to say I'm done. Gator trax 1644 with hunt deck 17.5' boat. Handles biggish water fine. Runs mud better than anything and narrow enough to hunt timber.
    Mud buddy 35 with a few mods pushes 3 men, a dog and 200 decoys mid 20s. Me and the dog light it will bump 30. Mud buddy's customer service has been second to none and I've had zero issues with the motor that were not self induced. With that said a 37efi is very very tempting
    Only other boat I would even consider is a prodigy.
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

There's a 1744 gatortrax with 37EFI Mud Buddy HDR listed on MMT right now. Boat is in SC too. Just FYI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prodigy would get my vote. The build quality of the ones I've hunted out of have been impressive but I'm not extremely experienced with the multitude of other players.

Had a 1744 gator Trax guide edition hull with no floatation and a 35 mudbuddy hyper sport and that was by far the best boat I've ever had. The build quality and fit and finish of both the hull and motor were the best I've seen in an aluminum boat and that thing was built like a tank. Running a creek one afternoon, I had the tiller knocked out of my hand by a branch at wot and centered a tree, the only damage was a scratched sticker. If the day ever comes where I need that type of boat again, Kent and company at Gator Trax will get my business again.
    Last edited by Fowlmouth30; 11-28-2016 at 07:33 PM.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian" - Henry Ford

I have gone through my share of boats looking for the perfect do all rig. Finally broke down and had Chad build this for me. 1751 Prodigy with MB 37 EFI HDR. 190 gauge bottom, 125 gauge sides, 21 inch high sides, catwalks, trays, etc. It handles big water or runs the tight creeks good. 24 mph the other day with 3 men, dog, cooler, guns, decoys, etc. This one should last me many years. It works good for the hunting, fishing, and swamp riding I do.
    E T

I run a Go Devil 1660 with 35 surface drive and love the set-up. The boat is 2006 and motor is 2010. Why the different years? The original owner modded out the original motor and blew it up. Be wary of mods when shopping for a used rig. I have not gotten into any trouble by not having reverse. Go-Devils philosophy is keep it simple. I would highly recommend the Go-Devil product and customer service.

Although I've never owned one, I think Gator Trax would be a great boat also. They have a rounded chine vs Go-Devils tapered chine so probably turn tighter at high speeds. Remember any boat will turn just fine if you slow down a little bit.

Good luck with your search.

Thanks fellas!

I will probably buy a used boat first. I wanna make sure that a SD fits my needs like I think it will.

Anything else will be appreciated

Slow down a little bit..... blasphemy!!!
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.