Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First time planting rice

Default First time planting rice

We planted some rice in mid July and it's the first time we've ever been around it and I'm wondering how it turned out. Today is the first time I've seen it since planting because the land owner has been deer hunting and I didn't want to disturb him. Like everyone in the Upstate, we're in a terrible drought and this pond is bone dry. Taking into consideration it hasn't rained in months, how did this turn out? Will we be in good shape once it rains and the pond floods? Only the rice on one side of the pond has seed heads. The rest is just stalks.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

If they find it, you are good. It is a pain in the butt to do correctly but high yield keeps em coming back. I figure about 110 days to develop, you got rice so pray for rain! Good luck.

Is it yellow because it's about to mature, or is because of the lack of rain?

And I have no idea how, but you may have a decent volunteer crop come up.I have had it happen twice and didnt do anything different from any other spots.

Yellow/white when edible for critters. Turkeys and blackbirds maul it.

Did you apply nitrogen?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    Did you apply nitrogen?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    No, not this year. At the time we planted we were having beaver problems and couldn't fully drain it so we soaked the seed and water broadcasted it. I wasn't sure if adding fertilizer would work putting it out in the water. We're going to do a better job this next year of controlling the water level.

I throw nitrogen on it once it is in 4 leaf stage in a few inches of water. I try to make sure the part above water is bone dry ( no dew or rain) and it jumps up. Never thought it would work but if you miss a spot you can tell what didn't get juiced.

I would be happy with that, all things considered. What variety of rice?

How are you applying the nitrogen? All I've ever used is 19-19-19 for my deer plots in a granular form. Is that similar to what you use?

Quote Originally Posted by YoungBuckTX View Post
    I would be happy with that, all things considered. What variety of rice?

Done it with bag or bucket of granular. I suggest wear gloves when hand slinging. I could never make it as a farmer but have managed to grow consistent good rice crops. Soil sample is crucial, as well as a good dose of luck. From what I have found all fertilizer should be put during planting and then as it gets on up 4 to 6 ".

Do you have water in the pond now with the recent rains?

That pond looks strangely familiar

Quote Originally Posted by camotoon60 View Post
    Do you have water in the pond now with the recent rains?
    I won't know until probably January. That part of the property is off limits until after deer season. If I had to guess, I'd say no. I've got a couple of ponds near there you can see from the road that dried up around the same time, and they are still bone dry by duck hunting standards. I'd love a good surprise though but it's going to take a LOT more rain to get us back where we need to be. There is a water source nearby that we could pump from in January provided we get the funds and land owner permission.

Quote Originally Posted by thebighun View Post
    That pond looks strangely familiar
    I had a thread started somewhere around April showing pictures of us building it. Maybe that's why you recognize it.

I've gotten a good bit of PM's on the progress, so I figured I throw out this update. No one was deer hunting today so we slid over and checked on our rice project. We were shocked to see we've had plenty of rain and and our rice was flooded. We're not sure how long it's been like that or if the birds have found it yet. We're going to keep a close eye on it.

Yeah! Once they find it, it's game on! Nice job.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

How much does that variety of rice cost per bag and what's your seeding rate? I've always been interested in planting rice but have always went the easy route and planted millet.

Quote Originally Posted by smilingmallard View Post
    How much does that variety of rice cost per bag and what's your seeding rate? I've always been interested in planting rice but have always went the easy route and planted millet.
    I can't remember now, but I wanna say around $30 per 50lb bag. The seeding rate we used was 100 lbs per acre because we sprouted it in a cooler a couple of days before we planted and we hand broadcasted it. Most of the water was drained down but there were several potholes of 2 foot deep water. The seeding rate was 50 lbs per acre if put out straight from the bag to the dirt without sprouting and lightly covering the seed.