Thread: Last day and thoughts

Default Last day and thoughts

Here is the sunset of the final day of the trip, from the eyes of my sit in a cottonwood grove.

I was 30 yards from this..

There were no live saplings, cedars, or anything other than large mature cottonwoods around, so my man decided he would go to town on a deadfall. That was a first for me and there were two in there like that.

This was the best out of state hunting trip of my life thus far. The area was some of the most beautiful and yet most brutal I have ever been fortunate enough to experience. Shooters were seen 4 out of the 6 days hunted, deer within bow range 4 of the 6, and deer seen everyday. Deer are an amazingly smart animal that have mastered the art of adapting to different areas and doing what they can to stack the odds of survival in their favor. Neither of us punched a tag, def not for lack of trying or for lack of seeing deer. Plenty of deer shootable with a bow, just does and small bucks. Buddy drew back on an 8pt one time, but couldn't get a clear shot. Had a basket 8pt at 6 yards as we laid in knee high grass with a tree not within 500 yards of us. Warm temps after day 2 and 20mph+ south winds didn't make things any easier. Plenty of cool stories to tell and new experiences for us.

Few things I learned that I will pass on without making this too long winded:
    1. Buy good boots. Don't skimp here. I used a pair of Danner 8" High Country and was very pleased with them
    2. Dress in layers. I used a Nomad base layer that worked very well. Buy the best and as many different weight layers as you can afford. Had days that would be as low as upper 30s at sunup and 75 and sunny by afternoon
    3. Get a good pack with plenty of room
    4. Get your butt in shape. I've put in a bunch of miles in SC swamps behind a pack of hog dogs and thought that was tough walking (which it is!!), but doesn't hold a candle to what we did this trip. When you think your good, do a little more
    5. Take time to realize where you are and what you are doing. That place was special and what we were doing was "crazy" as all the biologist told us. In having a conversation with a gentleman from MI while there, and explaining to him what we were trying to do, it hit me that we were on an adventure rather than a hunting trip. That changed my perspective on the whole trip.

I thank the good Lord for this experience and the memories that were made, as well as my wife and kids for letting take off on a real "adventure". Some of the studs we saw will stay in my thoughts for a while and what I could of and should of done different, but either way I'm thankful for the experience and look forward to the next one.

BTW for all the "should have taken a rifle" guy's, between the two of us we could have tagged out 5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    A man learns a lot about himself in a thicket with a big hog. That dog already knows all he needs to know about himself.

On yeah... BUY GOOD GLASS!! Was extremely pleased with my Vortex Binos. Huge props to them for an extremely quality product at a great price!!
    Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    A man learns a lot about himself in a thicket with a big hog. That dog already knows all he needs to know about himself.

Looked like a great time Matt!
    "If its better than cold beer and hot pussy it'll probably kill us all" ~ Rebel Son

Glad you guys had an awesome trip. Thanks for posting the pictures.

I love my vortex bino's too.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

MC is offline Daydreamer Extraordinaire

Very nice! Glad you had a great trip.

Excellent perspective! Congratulations on the adventure.
    Vegetarian: Native American for Piss Poor Hunter

Well done and great pics

I dont bowhunt so ill tag along next year to video and make yall laugh
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Very nice Matt. Expect a phone call, I wanna pick your brain about this trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Looks like an awesome trip. Thanks for sharing.

nice. enjoyed taking the adventure with you!

Am I the only one that wants to see turkeys roosting in those trees?
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

That last spot sure did look hot brother.. It is all about the adventure thats for certain.
    Genesis 9;2

Good show, Quacker. If you do it, you'll get it. Sounds like you got it.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead