Thread: Buying bow online

Default Buying bow online

I've had an interest in getting a bow for a couple months now. I've seen some good deals on archerytalk but have honestly never bought anything from an individual seller over the web. Any do's and don'ts? I'm guessing PayPal may be the best and safest way to go about buying one?

I have purchased 3 bows off of archerytalk. Be sure you know your drawlength and I doubt you will have any issue. Paypal is how I paid for the bows. You can save a lot of money this way

I've never had a problem buying off AT, matter of fact, I just bought a sight off there today. Just look at the person's rating. AT does a pretty good job at keeping the bad people off of there.

As for buying a bow, ask if the warranty has ever been registered. If it has been, I'd skip over that bow because most bow warranties are non-transferable.

Bought one from AT several years ago. No issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like others said look at the reviews for that person. You should not have a problem. Make sure you make a legit payment on pay pal. Don't use the gift money to a friend option. If you do that PayPal will not give you any security.

I have gotten a lot of stuff off there. My sight, stan release and bee stinger stabs came off of there. All brand new and Half the price. There are a lot of staff shooters on there that unload free stuff they get. They are making a profit but it's a lot cheaper than buying it in a store. It's also not a bad place to get arrows depending on what you shoot. Some carbon exalted like he maxima reds are hard to come by.
    Last edited by banded_mallard; 11-07-2016 at 06:38 AM.

What kind of bow you wanting?
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

I bought a couple off of AT.

You'll be fine.

Excellent site.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Appreciate the information fellas, I definitely feel more comfortable about it now.

Chuck- not 100% decided right now, still looking around. I'm new to bow hunting and am looking to get a setup for a decent price. Doesn't have to have every thing I need but some accessories are a plus. I'm still in the stages of looking and at this point so late in the season I'm not in a rush. I'm thinking after Christmas and early in the new year there will be more people getting rid of some bows so I might see what there's available then.

Just remember bowtechs blow up in your hand
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

I've been buying stuff and selling on archery talk since about 2008 or so...never had a problem. I love that site!

You can also check post season deals at your local shop. They will have new bows left over from the model year prior, and likely a few used bows that were traded in for the newest, latest, greatest model. If you buy a bow online, you will still need to take it to a shop to have your peep installed, kisser set (if you shout one) draw length set (if the bow you buy online is not your size) etc. But if you know exactly what you want, AT is a great site. I have found it is a little easier for guys just getting into the sport to hit a reputable shop and have the entire process laid out for them. And you can put your hands on something (shoot it) before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by fowlshot View Post
    Appreciate the information fellas, I definitely feel more comfortable about it now.

Chuck- not 100% decided right now, still looking around. I'm new to bow hunting and am looking to get a setup for a decent price. Doesn't have to have every thing I need but some accessories are a plus. I'm still in the stages of looking and at this point so late in the season I'm not in a rush. I'm thinking after Christmas and early in the new year there will be more people getting rid of some bows so I might see what there's available then.
    I suggest going to a local shop and shooting this years bows before the 2017 come out. Which is anyday now. You will then have a good idea of what you like. You may not realize it but there is a lot that goes into buying a bow. I can tell you that Hoyt is not changing there line up because of shipping problems in 2016. Shoot them all and decide what you want. Then wait on archery talk until one becomes available and trust me they will. Don't worry about draw length on a bow that has mods because most shops will switch them out for free of charge but if not, it's not expensive.

Everyone is deferent but I just got a prime rize and I'm big on prime right now. A prime target bow is in the works but will probably have to wait a while.

I do know my draw length and whatnot so I have that in mind but it sounds like I need to go to a shop or two and shoot some like y'all are saying. I've shot a few bowtechs, mathews, and a PSE but it wouldn't hurt to go shoot some others too. Thanks for all the advice, very appreciated.

Where are you located I know a lot of the good shops.

PAY ATTENTION TO SELLER RATING. I tried to buy a switchback on there a few years back. Never got the bow, never heard from the guy. Luckily I used PayPal and they refunded everything. If someone lists a bow with no ratings or low post count, I believe I'd pass on that. Otherwise you should be fine. You can find some screaming deals on there if you look around
    "JUST BECAUSE I AM NOT A GOOD SPELLER DOESN'T MEAN MY JEAN POLL IS GONNA BE BAD."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    There's evidence coming out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottontop74 View Post
    I dabble in a lot of things, but don't get too technical with any of them.

Ziggy- that's the kind of thing I'm worried about. But on the other hand I have an account but I've never posted on there so I'm worried that someone might not want to do business with me for that reason. That's also why I was asking about PayPal.

Banded- I live in Summerville and go to Clemson

Nice I have enjoyed following your trip. I am head to Kansas for my annual trip next Friday and may try to post pics and updates as well.
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan