Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 36 volt to 48 volt Golf Cart Conversion?

Default 36 volt to 48 volt Golf Cart Conversion?

My little 2007 ezgo is awesome. However I would like to have a little more power. Has anyone ever converted a 36v cart to a 48v? If so is it difficult and expensive? Or would I be better off just buying a 48v cart?
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

It's not difficult. Assuming your motor can take it. Go to a website called buggiesgonewild.com all,the info you need.

I figured I should have just texted you. How about I just drop mine off at your house and you call me when it's ready?
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    I figured I should have just texted you. How about I just drop mine off at your house and you call me when it's ready?
    I think over a few weekends a beers we could get it done. Text me the info on your cart. I will look up all the parts you need.

More batteries wont make it faster, it will only give it more run time. You need a 400+ amp controller for more torque and a new motor for more speed, or a torque motor for more torque.

Yup...all you need to know about anything golf cart related can be found on buggiesgonewild.com

I put a 1000amp controller, 2ga wire and a 48v pack into a 36v cart with stock motor. It ran like a bat out of hell until we had some snow and I burned the motor up. I then went to plum quick and got a 48v motor and its stronger but not as fast.

Don't forget that you will need a new charger.
    I take an PLB in the shower with me. Can't ever be too safe.

Whats it like to live w/o the Internet? Not bad, I get photos of your mom thought the mail....

"I'd like to know more about this. Someone give cottontop a bump of coke."
    Sportin' Woodies

Quote Originally Posted by drewb View Post
    More batteries wont make it faster, it will only give it more run time. You need a 400+ amp controller for more torque and a new motor for more speed, or a torque motor for more torque.
    Incorrect. Increasing battery power from 36-48v will increase the output of the motor by 33℅. It will be, in theory, 33% faster than it was. Cables and controller will need to be upgraded.

Quote Originally Posted by FishSticker View Post
    Incorrect. Increasing battery power from 36-48v will increase the output of the motor by 33℅. It will be, in theory, 33% faster than it was. Cables and controller will need to be upgraded.
    Corrrect

This is, of course, assuming you don't swap the motor.

Putting 48V behind a motor that is designed to run 3500rpm (or whatever it may be) at 36V will, in fact, make her run faster.

Swap the motor with the battery bank and controller and you will see no speed increase until you reprogram the controller for higher speeds.

Over-driving electric motors will absolutely shorten their lifespan.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

No sir, you are incorrect.

This will fry the motor. And like you said melt cables and controller unless changed.

No sir, you are incorrect.

This will fry the motor. And like you said melt cables and controller unless changed.
    Tell that to the cart I had setup like this for years that is still going strong today. Probably on its third or fourth set of batteries. Anything can blow up if you drive it like an dumb ass.

You'll do good to learn that just because you read something on the interwebs, doesn't always make it gospel.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Tell that to the cart I had setup like this for years that is still going strong today. Probably on its third or fourth set of batteries. Anything can blow up if you drive it like an dumb ass.

You'll do good to learn that just because you read something on the interwebs, doesn't always make it gospel.

Ive had 5 electric carts over the years and hunt out of an electric 48 volt with a plum quick motor and a 600 amp alltrax spm controller with 2 aught cables that will run 35 mph. Ive been through every thing you can imagine going wrong with one trying to find what will work best and spent a fortune doing it. Ive had 36 volt carts, 48 volt carts, and even a 36 volt cart with an extra battery and a 42 volt charger. Ive spent alot of money doing dumbass stuff to them over the years just trying to make them faster, i didnt learn it on the internet. But thanks for the advice.

And just for the record i drive everything i own like a dumbass

Ive had 5 electric carts over the years and hunt out of an electric 48 volt with a plum quick motor and a 600 amp alltrax spm controller with 2 aught cables that will run 35 mph. Ive been through every thing you can imagine going wrong with one trying to find what will work best and spent a fortune doing it. Ive had 36 volt carts, 48 volt carts, and even a 36 volt cart with an extra battery and a 42 volt charger. Ive spent alot of money doing dumbass stuff to them over the years just trying to make them faster, i didnt learn it on the internet. But thanks for the advice.
    Congrats?

Congrats?

Thanks man

And just for the record i drive everything i own like a dumbass
    And just for the record, contrary to your response, adding voltage WILL add speed.

And just for the record, contrary to your response, adding voltage WILL add speed.

Temporarily until it burns up motor yes...

You mad bro?
    Last edited by drewb; 11-04-2016 at 09:50 AM.

You mad bro?
    No....you??

You mad bro?
    I think he was just pointing out your incorrectness that you defended and then just reneged your defense. If he was mad, he's probably laughing now. I know I am
    Last edited by reeltight; 11-04-2016 at 10:00 AM.