Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SHTF bags

Default SHTF bags

Looking for a new daily back pack to carry some stuff in, a few just in case items, and a lot of day to day stuff too. Would need to be big enough for a few nights worth of clothes, water, Laptop, pistol, shoes, etc.

What's everyone carrying?
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

My teenage daughter was toting this jean bag, faded, aged like. But she decided that it wasn't cool the other day so she gave it to my youngest girl. Now my boy on the other hand, it's a toss up. Today his lunch, Lord knows what..we let him pack it, is in an old timey meat market paper bag.

Nothing wrong with an ole paper sack lunch, unless the apple breaks through the bottom and goes rolling around. I don't care for a bruised apple.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

When SHTF you need to blend in. If you go around all tacticool with Molle bags and combat boots you will be a sitting duck.

This is my mode of operation.

I bet you dont recognize me
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

Just buy a good chest rig to wear to work. You can mount a holster for the pistol, stick the laptop in a plate carrier slot, and stick water bottles in the mag pouch. I'm not sure what to do with the shoes and clothes though.

On a more serious note I just keep my old college book bag in my truck with a change of clothes and some medical stuff in it. My pistol stays on my person but there is a couple spare mags in the bag.

I'm asking for one of these for Christmas. Its carry on size too. Prob too big for what you looking for though

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/IRONCLOUD-p9221.htm
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

now for my serious response. but still the goal is to blend in.

I keep the following in my truck

1. backpack, inconspicuous black book bag from costco containing:
    6 20oz bottles of water
    lifestraw
    32oz empty water container

in the 32 oz container i have emergency blankets (2) and first aid kit hand warmer packs, water purifying tablets
    16 oz stainless cup for boiling (32oz container fits in it)
    a quick clotting kit
    3 days of food rations (high calorie emergency food bars) and unexpired beef jerky
    baby wipes
    TP in ziplock
    gum and peppermint candy
    tylonol
    sunscreen
    lipbalm
    pencil/pad
    gps
    flashlight
    headlamp
    rain poncho
    n95 dust masks
    red bandana
    leather work gloves
    roll up hand saw
    large zipties
    500 paracord
    duct tape
    fire starter
    lighter
    kindling packs
    extra batteries (AA and AAA)
    supertool and a small machete
    I catagorize things in different size ziplock bags for organization and i might need the bags.
    2extra magazines of ammo to match my carry gun
    probably a few things i cant remember

also under back seat seat:

Roll top dry bag with a pair of hiking boots, a pair of fleece pants and a compressed down jacket, toboggan and gloves, wool socks.Fleece blanket, Gortex Rainsuit.

I travel all over the southeast and up the east coast. I AM getting home alive.

I had a coworker who's uncle died on the side of the road out west.
    Last edited by Jozie & Me; 11-02-2016 at 09:17 AM.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

About anything by Maxpedition gets my vote. Quality stuff that's well laid out in nearly any form.

I don't have a daily pack that I can carry as I fly too much although I have a High Sierra AT3 wheeled bag that would be good for what you listed. I have necessities in my truck and at the house we have 4 bags packed and ready.

I like the idea of blending in, but I don't plan on being on the streets when SHTF.

You guys are dropping some serious coin on these bags.

I carry a bag everyday, more of a habit less of a SHTF prepper mentality, I like having some things with me. Most days the bag will hold my gym clothes, shoes, spare t-shirt, some meds, my gun when I'm in the office(the bag goes with me in the office), sometimes it carries my food and water, sometimes I use it as an overnight bag/ long weekend bag.

I was more or less looking into the osprey line, or something similar, but with more of a back pack look. Those maxpeditions seem a little too tacticool for me.
    Last edited by MolliesMaster; 11-02-2016 at 12:43 PM.

If shtf you won't need a laptop
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    This. I have a few bags. Including one that holds my laptop. The shit that matters isn't in there with it.

This is all tied to .... what's your goal?
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Rat View Post
    This. I have a few bags. Including one that holds my laptop. The shit that matters isn't in there with it.

This is all tied to .... what's your goal?
    Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    You guys are dropping some serious coin on these bags.

I carry a bag everyday, more of a habit less of a SHTF prepper mentality, I like having some things with me. Most days the bag will hold my gym clothes, shoes, spare t-shirt, some meds, my gun when I'm in the office(the bag goes with me in the office), sometimes it carries my food and water, sometimes I use it as an overnight bag/ long weekend bag.

I was more or less looking into the osprey line, or something similar, but with more of a back pack look. Those maxpeditions seem a little too tacticool for me.
    Something in between an osprey and a goruck pack.
    Last edited by MolliesMaster; 11-02-2016 at 12:48 PM.

I have a OGIO backpack for everyday. I don't put my pistol in it except on the weekends, work has a strict gun policy. It has a laptop slot, can hold a change of clothes and shoes, and other stuff depending on where I'm going or what I'm doing.

What's in my duty vehicle and with me at work - my EDC bag. It doubles as a bail out bag for an active shooter call, and I travel lighter in that bag than you might think. It's a 5.11 Triab 18 with the cross-strap carry that allows me pull it around to the front to get crap out of it without taking it off. What's in it? The short list, as best as I can recall:

• Admin shit: Pens, note pads (including 1 "Rite in the Rain"), laminated reference cards for work with freqs for the radio and such, because my memory sucks. Normal day to day stuff.
    • One pair of good dry socks, one pair of clean underwear, in a ziplock.
    • One Department-marked (badged) jacket - I work plain clothes, so this is to try to prevent "blue on blue" errors. I swap out the light one for the fleece when it gets cooler.
    • One pair of Mechanix work gloves, padded.
    • 2 Extra Glock 22 mags, loaded. I don't carry ANY extra ammo in boxes.
    • 2 Extra AR15 mags, loaded. See the above
    • Good flashlight
    • Headlamp
    • Small binoculars
    • Leatherman Wave multitool
    • Big chalk stick
    • A few extra light sticks
    • 550 cord - several 10 footish lengths
    • A few door stops (the rubber kind)
    • A 4 foot rope with a carabiner on each end
    • A pouch I call the "Power Center" - Contains a rechargeable power pack to charge USB devices (like my phone), USB micro cables (2), AAA batteries (for headlamp), C123 batteries (for damn near everything else), One extra W/T battery, AA batteries (for Aimpoint), and one wall USB power adaptor.
      Food: About 6 protein bars, a few Slim Jims, a ziplok with some hard candy, and two packs of tuna (the flavored stuff). And a spork.
      Water: It has a hydration bladder that I keep dry, so it doesn't get funked up. There's a liter bottle of water in a side pouch that I'd put in the bladder if I have time. I'll add a Lifestraw later, but we normally have water available after support arrives.
    • The First Aid Pouch - Everything from Band-Aids and Tylenol to a couple of CAT tourniquets and Israelis. And a two day supply of 'script meds. This takes up a good bit of room.

This bag is only intended to get me through a single active shooter deployment or similar bail out, with the ability to prolong that if I get "cut off" and it turns into a more significant thing. Hopefully a one hour event, prepared as best as I can be for a Beslan class event. Better safe than sorry. Given time, this only supplements the stuff already on my body armor carrier and in my belt rig ("battle belt") - I am prepared to do work with just the carrier/belt. I understand that my needs are different than most in the non-LEO world.

An off-duty "SHTF" bag would be different - What I'm doing and where I'm going would drive that, and I keep a lot of basic stuff (not guns) pre-placed in my truck. I'll address that in a separate post.
    Last edited by Swamp Rat; 11-02-2016 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Added info and formatting errors

"Door stops", interesting.

I could see where they could come in handy for a LEO, if needed.

Yea I caught that too. What is the chalk stick for? Drawing the floor picture for the dead guy?

Hell, lets just roll with it. What is everybody putting in their SHTF packs?
    Last edited by MolliesMaster; 11-02-2016 at 01:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    What is the chalk stick for? Drawing the floor picture for the dead guy?
    Marking which rooms are cleared. And some occasional "Kilroy Was Here" graffiti

This crap is always changing. I used to carry Silly String....
    Last edited by Swamp Rat; 11-02-2016 at 01:25 PM.

One of you preppers needs to buy that delorme inreach I have in the trading post. You can text and send an SOS when the phone lines and power are down.

Quote Originally Posted by marsh chicken View Post
    One of you preppers needs to buy that delorme inreach I have in the trading post. You can text and send an SOS when the phone lines and power are down.

but but but, who will answer? The phone lines are down and the Power is out?