Thread: Half Marathon

Default Half Marathon

I know it isn't crossfit, but I did a half marathon this past weekend and actually ran it well and thought I'd give some tips on what made this one go better than the last two years where I tried and either had to cancel or hobble the last 3 miles.

1:
    It takes more than three months to get in shape to run a half marathon. Most programs you see give you twelve weeks to train. What happened the last two years was I upped my mileage too quick causing injuries.

2:
    Running three times a week with two other cross training days was the best change I made this time. I started running 4-5 times per week and felt overuse injuries creeping up and started swimming instead to increase cardio without weight bearing exercise.

3:
    Strengthening muscles. I started doing squats with and without weights, Using therabands for lateral leg muscles and strengthening the ol' gluteus maximus

4:
    Gatorade right after workouts gave me a faster recovery and an improved performance on my next workout

5:
    Get good shoes. Some may suggest going barefoot or zero drop shoes and those can work. But you have to put your time in to train to be able to run that way. And if your feet start to hurt or your lower legs are more sore after a run than usual, you probably need new shoes.

The main thing is, when you start to hurt, other than tired muscles, you need to scale back training. If not you injure yourself like I did and end up gaining the weight back you lost and losing fitness because you are hobbling around for 2 months.

There is a good book called "Run Less, Run Faster" that has been really helpful and is written by guys at furman university.

So if you are on the fence about getting in shape and crossfit isn't your cup of tea but everytime you run you get injured, check out that book and start slow and do your best to eat right. Running is a lot of fun and is an easy way to get in shape as long as you put in the miles.

5 months ago I weighed 40 lbs more and was borderline hypertensive. All of that is a thing of the past now. My mile times started at 9:30 and I averaged 8:30 in the race. and my goal this next year is to run a 5k under 20 minutes.

Good luck to anyone wanting to try and I would definitely check out that book.

Good deal. Look at the Spartan Beast if you want to try something different. I did it this past weekend and it was fun. 15 miles and 30 obstacles. A regular half marathon got boring to me around mile 8.

My crazy ass wife likes to run.

I think she's dumb.

Running gets boring to me after about the first or second step.

Good on you for getting active, though. That's more than I can say of late.

Edited to add: We'll be in Savannah this weekend for the marathon. If anybody is going, but not running (because you're not dumb), hit me up. I'm gonna be drinking beers and hitting up the tattoo parlor.
    Last edited by turbo; 10-31-2016 at 03:48 PM.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by turbo View Post
    My crazy ass wife likes to run.

I think she's dumb.

Running gets boring to me after about the first or second step.

Good on you for getting active, though. That's more than I can say of late.

Edited to add: We'll be in Savannah this weekend for the marathon. If anybody is going, but not running (because you're not dumb), hit me up. I'm gonna be drinking beers and hitting up the tattoo parlor.
    tattoos, huh?

they can be quite the topic of conversation around here.
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Quote Originally Posted by mudminnow View Post
    I know it isn't crossfit, but I did a half marathon this past weekend and actually ran it well and thought I'd give some tips on what made this one go better than the last two years where I tried and either had to cancel or hobble the last 3 miles.

1:
    It takes more than three months to get in shape to run a half marathon. Most programs you see give you twelve weeks to train. What happened the last two years was I upped my mileage too quick causing injuries.

2:
    Running three times a week with two other cross training days was the best change I made this time. I started running 4-5 times per week and felt overuse injuries creeping up and started swimming instead to increase cardio without weight bearing exercise.

3:
    Strengthening muscles. I started doing squats with and without weights, Using therabands for lateral leg muscles and strengthening the ol' gluteus maximus

4:
    Gatorade right after workouts gave me a faster recovery and an improved performance on my next workout

5:
    Get good shoes. Some may suggest going barefoot or zero drop shoes and those can work. But you have to put your time in to train to be able to run that way. And if your feet start to hurt or your lower legs are more sore after a run than usual, you probably need new shoes.

The main thing is, when you start to hurt, other than tired muscles, you need to scale back training. If not you injure yourself like I did and end up gaining the weight back you lost and losing fitness because you are hobbling around for 2 months.

There is a good book called "Run Less, Run Faster" that has been really helpful and is written by guys at furman university.

So if you are on the fence about getting in shape and crossfit isn't your cup of tea but everytime you run you get injured, check out that book and start slow and do your best to eat right. Running is a lot of fun and is an easy way to get in shape as long as you put in the miles.

5 months ago I weighed 40 lbs more and was borderline hypertensive. All of that is a thing of the past now. My mile times started at 9:30 and I averaged 8:30 in the race. and my goal this next year is to run a 5k under 20 minutes.

Good luck to anyone wanting to try and I would definitely check out that book.

I'm sure these tips will be helpful to someone. The best part of the post is losing 40 lbs in 5 months. I hope you enjoy the way you feel enough to keep it up. COngrats on getting your ass in better shape.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    tattoos, huh?

they can be quite the topic of conversation around here.
    Tattoos are one thing, visible tattoos are another, and neck/face tattoos take things to another level. Deondre Francois had neck tattoos and look what happened to him.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Yep. They cost Aroldis Chapman the Game7 save.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

As long as there isn't a time cap on it I can get up and go run a half right now.

But I won't

Because I don't want to.

Tattoos and passion in the same thread. If we can get an iffy pic of a big buck killed within 50 miles of a high fence operation this will go the distance.

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    Tattoos are one thing, visible tattoos are another, and neck/face tattoos take things to another level. Deondre Francois had neck tattoos and look what happened to him.
    These will be very visible.

Just not on my face/neck.

Also, I've never given a shit what anybody other than Big Mama thought and she'll love me anyhow.

ETA: I also don't have to be on a field of play against #42 and #90. So, maybe I'm good...
    Last edited by turbo; 11-04-2016 at 02:55 PM.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Go tigers!

Turbo what chinese writing are you getting on the small of your back?

Quote Originally Posted by marsh chicken View Post
    Turbo what chinese writing are you getting on the small of your back?
    Deposit here

I'm still trying to settle on that.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Go tigers!

When you go bar hopping, tell them you know me and just walk out. Then you'll be running a marathon

This is great. Nice job on the race and 8:30 pace is pretty darn good.
    Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    Dexter GETS IT!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII
    :ACC: :ACC: :ACC: