Thread: Mac Question

Default Mac Question

I'm tired of working on a laptop ... I'm wanting either a dual, or three, screen set up. I use a MacBook Pro now and want to stay with Apple.

I'm thinking a mini-mac, two (maybe three) LED monitors, wireless keyboard, wireless mouse, and maybe a sound bar. What am I missing to make this happen, or is that all I need? Anyone running a dual screen system with a Mac already? Some of you computer nerds give me some advice, and dumb it down for me.

The only thing I use my computer for is email (a lot of them), running a Quickbase system, Excel, occasional Word, and internet ... No photoshop or other specialty programs.

It depends on what kind of graphics card your mac came with.

You may be able to go dual... I doubt you will be able to go to three screens.

I have two at work and another port for a third... the third display is coming. I just haven't ordered one yet.

You absolutely cannot have too many displays.

You can swap graphics cards pretty easily. Depending on the model mac you have, the difficulty and expense will vary.
    Last edited by turbo; 10-04-2016 at 10:23 AM.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

I have not bought anything yet, this would be a new purchase.

My existing MacBook Pro would be tied in somehow so that I can use it seamlessly when I travel, but it would not be used daily.

I've been looking at the MiniMac online, but I have no experience with it.

My suggestion would be two big screens. I run 2 26's and that takes up a ton of desk space. You could use your laptop screen for a 3rd one if you want a smaller one off to the side. I've run up to 4 and like the 2 bigger ones the best. They are big enough I can divide them up.

I think the new macbooks have multiple video connections. Just make sure that the smaller ones do. I'd look for HDMI or mini hdmi. If everything else is wireless, then you would just have a power cord and the monitors plugged into it.

When you order it, just make sure you've got display ports for the number of monitors that you want to run.

More than two will likely be tough on the new, super thin stuff they've got out now.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

I just set up a surface pro 4 with 2 monitors on the desk and a 55" LED wireless display. So, that's 4 total monitors. Holler if you need help, you know where I live.

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post
    I'm tired of working on a laptop ... I'm wanting either a dual, or three, screen set up. I use a MacBook Pro now and want to stay with Apple.

I'm thinking a mini-mac, two (maybe three) LED monitors, wireless keyboard, wireless mouse, and maybe a sound bar. What am I missing to make this happen, or is that all I need? Anyone running a dual screen system with a Mac already? Some of you computer nerds give me some advice, and dumb it down for me.

The only thing I use my computer for is email (a lot of them), running a Quickbase system, Excel, occasional Word, and internet ... No photoshop or other specialty programs.

If your MBP is performing like you want it to, then what you need is a dock. I have had many Mac Minis including the one I just sold and get 8GB of RAM and my son runs his server on it with all of the graphic support you could ever want. If what you really need is multiple screens then that is a short walk. Call me if you have any questions. MG

https://www.hengedocks.com/products/...Fccehgod0y8BAQ

Dum Spiro Spero

Quote Originally Posted by XHailGC View Post
    I just set up a surface pro 4 with 2 monitors on the desk and a 55" LED wireless display. So, that's 4 total monitors. Holler if you need help, you know where I live.
    I'm going to try to forget that I read this. I need some eyewash quick. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

Why because a Surface Pro isn't anywhere close to a MAC Book Pro or anything close to being Apple?

Just curious....
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

Quote Originally Posted by GobblerHntr View Post
    Why because a Surface Pro isn't anywhere close to a MAC Book Pro or anything close to being Apple?

Just curious....
    I have 20 Surface Pro 3 with max memory config etc that we use at work. We paid around $2k a piece for them, if that gives you the idea of the configuration/build, so not the bottom of the line. As a tablet, they are nowhere near what an iPad can do. As a laptop, it is laughable compared to what MBP can do. Unfortunately, our campus is Windows only so I did not have an option. But it does serve as a constant reminder as to why I switched to Apple six years ago and have never looked back.

Keep in mind that the entire Office Suite is available on MBP and iPad so that is not an argument for them. It has fewer USB ports than the MBP and no optical drive. The peripherals are clunky and it is no intuitive as to what you MUST use touch screen for and what you can use the keyboard for on a program by program basis. To give you an idea, I have NEVER taken on home or on the road to use. I have always used my personal MBP or iPad for business when I am away from the office. I will just stop right there. PM me and I will set up a time that you can come to my office (college) and let you use one as long as you can stand it, after all your tax dollars paid for it. I will supply the peripherals etc and let you do some spreadsheets, PowerPoints, etc. Then you can decide for yourself. That goes for anyone. We can play the "Countdown to the Blue Screen of Death" game. MG

PS I am not a Microsoft hater, in fact I have the Windows suite on everything I own. My son uses his Mac Mini to run a Windows server because it is more reliable than on any other hardware.
    Last edited by Maggie Glover; 10-11-2016 at 09:19 AM.
    Dum Spiro Spero

Sounds like a lot of work just to watch phub in the office.

What is "MBP"?

Quote Originally Posted by Steelin' Ducks View Post
    What is "MBP"?
    MacBook Pro=MBP
    Dum Spiro Spero

Will a usb to vga converter work on a mac? I have a Windows laptop on a dock running two and a the usb to vga running the third monitor.
    The right to bear arms is the last form of defense against tyranny.