Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are crossbows for pussies?

Default Why are crossbows for pussies?

I like to kill deer. I have killed deer with rifles, shotguns, bows, muzzleloaders, and pistols. I prefer my bow or rifle. I think crossbows look cool. There seems to be a stigma related to them. Why? No, the fact that people think they're lame will not prevent me from getting one- I am just curious.
    Carolina Counsel

Always wondered the same why the stigma?

It's like a compund bow.

A compund bow for pussies that can't draw a bow back, hold it while making a shot and that need a scope.

If you're disabled or your wife has a Daryl Dixon fetish then rock on. But if you are buying a crossbow the day before "archery" season so you can go hunting, then you are just being a pussy.

Quote Originally Posted by uga_dawg View Post
    It's like a compund bow.

A compund bow for pussies that can't draw a bow back, hold it while making a shot and that need a scope.

If you're disabled or your wife has a Daryl Dixon fetish then rock on. But if you are buying a crossbow the day before "archery" season so you can go hunting, then you are just being a pussy.
    Cool story! Why don't you hunt with what you want to and let everyone else do the same. Does it really hurt your feelings that bad to see a man hunt with a crossbow?

Doesn't hurt my feelings at all. He can hunt with what he wants to. It's just the lazy way out. Nothing wrong with that if that's what you want. But it does not take near the practice and time with a crossbow as it does a compound. You won't pull a compound out two days before hunting season and shoot it consistantly.

Crossbows are great for children and the elderly

It's like having to ask...Why is it gay to suck a dick?

Quote Originally Posted by banded_mallard View Post
    Doesn't hurt my feelings at all. He can hunt with what he wants to. It's just the lazy way out. Nothing wrong with that if that's what you want. But it does not take near the practice and time with a crossbow as it does a compound. You won't pull a compound out two days before hunting season and shoot it consistantly.
    Using your logic, "real men" would should only shoot recurves and longbows. Compared to the amount of practice required to shoot either of those proficiently makes compound bows looks like toys for pussies. So it's really a matter of perspective, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by marsh chicken View Post
    Are you saying you'd like to know why people think you're gay, or are you just outing yourself?
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 09-28-2016 at 09:44 PM.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Quote Originally Posted by SCSwitchback View Post
    Cool story! Why don't you hunt with what you want to and let everyone else do the same. Does it really hurt your feelings that bad to see a man hunt with a crossbow?
    Looks like you're the one with hurt feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by marsh chicken View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like you're the one with hurt feelings.

Yea because I was the one dog piling and insulting people over their weapon of choice. Just out of curiosity, tell me how bad ass of a (vertical) bowhunter you are.

Yea because I was the one dog piling and insulting people over their weapon of choice. Just out of curiosity, tell me how bad ass of a (vertical) bowhunter you are.
    I was the first one to answer the man's question so that's not dog piling. He knew crossbows were for pussies. He just wanted to know why people said it. I answered. You came in looking for everyone to say that crossbows are for men. And got all butt hurt because you didn't find that.

So you tell us why you feel like a man using your crossbow.
    Last edited by uga_dawg; 09-27-2016 at 10:02 PM.

I was the first one to answer the man's question so that's not dog piling. He knew crossbows for pussies. He just wanted to know why people said it. I answered. You came in looking for everyone to say that crossbows are for men. And got all butt hurt because you didn't find that.

So you tell us why you feel like a man using your crossbow.
    Haha, I've never killed one with a crossbow and never carried one to the woods. I may start though, just out of spite. I have shot my wife's a handful of times and seem to be able to shoot ok with it. I can put 3 arrows in the little vital area thingy on a 3d target from 20 yards.

Honestly though... The most important thing is that people are hunting. As long as they do it legally that is all that matters.

We need growth in the sport.

Haha, I've never killed one with a crossbow and never carried one to the woods. I may start though, just out of spite. I have shot my wife's a handful of times and seem to be able to shoot ok with it. I can put 3 arrows in the little vital area thingy on a 3d target from 20 yards.
    You should go tomorrow morning. If you hit the target three times you're already a pro.

Is not a crossbow really just another tool in the gap between a recurve/compound bow and a muzzle loader, and then a rifle?

It's most certainly easier to kill a deer with a rifle at 30 yds than it is a crossbow, isn't it? So why aren't rifles for pussies when all you have to do is aim and pull the trigger? The lethal area is larger than a crossbow, right?

No, I do not use a crossbow, but don't really have a problem with someone choosing to do so. I'd rather they use one than become a non-Hunter because we chased him out of the woods.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Growth = competition = bad

Quote Originally Posted by led0321 View Post
    Honestly though... The most important thing is that people are hunting. As long as they do it legally that is all that matters.

We need growth in the sport.
    Fair enough. But are crossbows or muzzle loaders bringing new hunters to the sport? Or is it just an excuse for people that already hunt to hunt these "primitive" seasons.

Fair enough. But are crossbows or muzzle loaders bringing new hunters to the sport? Or is it just an excuse for people that already hunt to hunt these "primitive" seasons.
    Who cares?

Crossbows do bring new bowhunters into the primitive seasons. Especially in states that manage their herds.
    Last edited by led0321; 09-27-2016 at 10:26 PM.

Good question. Other than politics, why are there bow, muzzle loader and regular firearm seasons in the "upstate" and the rest of the state you can use what ever you want from the beginning?