Thread: First Tag Filled

Default First Tag Filled

Late post but on 09/17/16 I was able to tag my first alligator. Not as big as I wanted, but happy to not have tag soup! The 17th was going to be the last day I could hunt for the lizards since we have family obligations the next two weekends. I hooked him at 8:30am and had him in the boat by 8:45am. Killing these things is not a cheap task either, so if you plan on getting a tag and killing one, be prepared to spend a little money…

$ 10 Application for tag
    $100 tag
    $ 50 for harpoon tips and treble hooks
    $150 in gas Greenwood to Santee and Florence and boat
    $225 3 nights at Harrys Fish Camp
    $175 to process a 7 foot 125lb gator(Claussen Processing does an awesome job btw! Dennis gets my recommendation anyday!)
    $225 to tan hide (sending it off to Specialty Leather in Iowa, best price I could find with good reviews)
    $___ shipping charges for hide to and from tanning???
    $___ going to euro the head by myself so saving $150+

Good times and memories with friends in gods country, can't beat that!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Congrats on the gator. Look at amtan for leather. I have used both specialty and amtan. Amtan does better work.

Quote Originally Posted by marsh chicken View Post
    Congrats on the gator. Look at amtan for leather. I have used both specialty and amtan. Amtan does better work.
    The price for amtan seems a lot higher though. What size gator did you have tanned and if you remember the price that would be helpful... What did you do with the hide also? Thanks for your response too, I will look into them again since you recommend them!

I don't understand why y'all don't catch these suckers Alive. That's how we used to do it
    Windows Down!

Quote Originally Posted by raybird View Post
    I don't understand why y'all don't catch these suckers Alive. That's how we used to do it
    Pretty sure you aren't allowed to do it that way anymore, legally at least. I was attempting to fill a legal tag raybird We could have keppt this one alive and got him in the boat, but my buddies 12'4" would have been a pain in the a$$ trying to do that!