Thread: 44 mag on pigs

Default 44 mag on pigs

I'm curious. And I'm sure it's marketing crap, but I have a box of 44 mag rounds by winchester labeled as intended for hogs. Ok, a 44 mag and hogs seems to go together.

But these rounds are also lead free. 225 grains of lead free. Ok. So what's the difference of 225 grains of copper and 225 grains of lead wrapped in copper. Maybe a shorter lead bullet and more powder but they are real close to the same fps.

So, why would you or the pig care if it's lead free unless you're in California? Can someone enlighten me as to why a SC pig hunter would want to worry about a lead free bullet. Do they fly better?
    Last edited by rp; 09-23-2016 at 12:07 AM.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

By the way, this copper bullet has a deep hollow point, but so do tge lead bullets unless I get those Hornady rubber tips.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjCTvV4v8V8[/ame]

Featuring Barnes’ patented X-Bullet™ technology, all-copper XPB™ bullets offer dramatically increased penetration over conventional jacketed lead-core bullets. These lead-free bullets provide superior expansion and weight retention. Energy transfer is unsurpassed, making them ideal for hunting or self-defense. Barnes’ XPB bullets are exceptionally accurate and leave no residue to harm shooters in practice environments.

Copper deforms less than lead since it's harder. 100% copper projos have more controlled expansion
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

But honestly who gives a fuck. It's a pig. Shoot them with what you have in your hand. Be it a red Ryder or a nuclear warhead
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    But honestly who gives a fuck. It's a pig. Shoot them with what you have in your hand. Be it a red Ryder or a nuclear warhead
    agree

BigBallin is offline prognosticator of prognosticators

I would assume weight retention and controlled expansion...
    You can grow up to be just like me....

I have absolutely crushed some large (and small) boars with my .44 mag and the Hornday semi jacketed hp rounds. I think 235 grain, but not sure. Heads shots turned them to jelly, not to mention carnage in their wheel house. Can't go wrong with it.

BigBallin is offline prognosticator of prognosticators

I bought a box of the barnes and gave my buddy a few to try on gators since I knew he would be using em before me and I m awaiting feedback.
    You can grow up to be just like me....

I use Buffalo Bore 305 grain hard cast in my 1894. I have never had issues with hog death.

Never wanted to shoot one of these out of a pistol.. It will pass through a hog every time.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

the hornadays are the best ive found

I've heard an old wive's tale that one way to surreptitiously kill a tree, like a neighbor's tree that drops all its leaves in your yard or one in your own yard that city ordinances won't let you cut down, is to drive a copper nail in it. I wonder if these new "safe for the environment" bullets will kill trees? (I also wonder how would you hammer a copper nail in a tree in the first place.)

They'll feed better in my ruger, I'd expect
    Auto-carbine
    Board Member
    Cherokee Foothills Hunting Retriever Club