Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Optimum/Favorite" Fly Rod Mix?

Default "Optimum/Favorite" Fly Rod Mix?

Just a curious thread about what you each find to be your "optimum/favorite" mix of fly rods and weights for the NC/SC/TN area, primarily for trout, with maybe some smallmouth bass and/or large crappie/crackers for fun.

I'm in the middle of changing my collection around and thinning it out, and will probably end up with a 7'9" 4wt, a 9'0" 5wt, and either stick with my old favorite, a 8'6" 6wt, or change that one to a 8'6"-9'0" 7-8wt... all 4 piece rods.

I used to just fish with my 8'6" 6wt rod with DT6F line when that was all I owned, but with the tighter streams and wanting to spend less time picking my flies out of tree branches, I picked up a 7'6" 5wt rod and really like it. But as a 2 piece rod it tends to be less handy to pack in to some streams.

Given the sizes of many of the streams in this region, I tend to fish with DTF lines, but am picking up some extra spools to have WFF and WF Nymph lines on hand. I've never used a sinking line, but may try it if I get in to a deeper, faster river. Open for suggestions on that...

What do you guys use and have handy? And why those choices?
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Super tight streams: 7'6" 3 weight

Anything else for trout *(one exception): 10' 4 weight

*Fall trout rod: 9 foot 6 weight for big nasty streamers

Smallmouth: 9' 8 weight

Rarely do i use my 7'6". Like, only on streams that hold native specks.

Any thing else i am using a ten footer. Most WNC streams are a game of nymph rigs and roll casts. If there is hatch i can still present a dry fly well. I like the ability to control the line better with this length too.

Cloudy/rainy days in the fall i am throwing big streamers

Eight weight is pretty much perfect for smallmouth in our area. Yeah you could go lighter but it makes casting big bugs easier

Quote Originally Posted by mudminnow View Post
    Super tight streams: 7'6" 3 weight

Anything else for trout *(one exception): 10' 4 weight

*Fall trout rod: 9 foot 6 weight for big nasty streamers

Smallmouth: 9' 8 weight

Rarely do i use my 7'6". Like, only on streams that hold native specks.

Any thing else i am using a ten footer. Most WNC streams are a game of nymph rigs and roll casts. If there is hatch i can still present a dry fly well. I like the ability to control the line better with this length too.

Cloudy/rainy days in the fall i am throwing big streamers

Eight weight is pretty much perfect for smallmouth in our area. Yeah you could go lighter but it makes casting big bugs easier
    Interesting. I've never known anyone who used a 10' rod for trout so I just never even thought about it.

It's apparent I need to learn more about using nymph rigs. I've always pretty much fished dry flies, various 'bugs', and smaller streamers, but then I've probably forgotten more about fly fishing than I ever knew so there's that problem. I'm wanting to get back in to it in the future as the golf game recedes for numerous reasons.
    ~ George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    Interesting. I've never known anyone who used a 10' rod for trout so I just never even thought about it.

It's apparent I need to learn more about using nymph rigs. I've always pretty much fished dry flies, various 'bugs', and smaller streamers, but then I've probably forgotten more about fly fishing than I ever knew so there's that problem. I'm wanting to get back in to it in the future as the golf game recedes for numerous reasons.
    I want to learn to fly-fish

Ill show you a good stream in return, plenty of redbreast bream and decent bass to catch

deal?
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

What happened to the post by SouthernWake? I thought it was a good story.

Duck cutter, I'd love to take you up on that, but, first, I'm not a good enough fly fisherman to teach you a whole lot. It's been a number of years since I even wet a line and am trying to get back in to it, but still have plenty to learn myself. Second, the chances of me getting away to get down that way for some fishing is pretty nil for some time to come. Thanks a bunch for the offer, though.

There seems to be a number of guys in the upper half of the State who know what they're doing. Hopefully one of them will take you up on it who can really teach you what you need to know.
    ~ George Washington

What kind of reels are you guys using on your rigs? Particularly the lightest, shortest ones.

I'm wrestling with whether to bother spending bucks for anything more than a 'line holder' on a 3/4 weight rod at 8' or less.
    ~ George Washington

I have a couple Bauer M1 & M2s, Orvis CFO & Battenkill LAs and a Hardy Perfect for my trout stuff. If you can find them on eBay, BPS had a Bauer m knockoff (until they were sued) which was a great reel at a budget price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "The real reason fish jump - they don't have a middle finger!"

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post

I'm wrestling with whether to bother spending bucks for anything more than a 'line holder' on a 3/4 weight rod at 8' or less.
    I would not.

I have used a 9' 5w for everything from small trout on the east coast to 30" rainbows and salmon in Alaska. If I had to own one rod that's what it would be. It's really nice to have a smaller 3wt for tighter spots and if you get serious about saltwater or salmon then an 8wt is nice. On reels get something decent but don't go crazy. It's nothing more than a line holder
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Quote Originally Posted by boondoggle View Post
    I have a couple Bauer M1 & M2s, Orvis CFO & Battenkill LAs and a Hardy Perfect for my trout stuff. If you can find them on eBay, BPS had a Bauer m knockoff (until they were sued) which was a great reel at a budget price.
    Nice reels, for sure, but richer than the occasional fly fishing I'm able to get away for, at least for now. An older CFO Click-n-Pawl, before production moved to China, would be nice to get a hold of, if spare spools were available, but the cost alone is my issue.

I presently have a Battenkill Disc 5/6 with a spare spool, and have two Disc 3/4's and a spare spool for a 3/4 and the 5/6 coming, and a BBS II but am having a bitch of a time finding spare spools for it. Also have a Battenkill Mid-Arbor III that would suit a 7/8 wt rod if I opt to go that route, but the reel is heavier than I like at 5.7 oz empty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    I have used a 9' 5w for everything from small trout on the east coast to 30" rainbows and salmon in Alaska. If I had to own one rod that's what it would be. It's really nice to have a smaller 3wt for tighter spots and if you get serious about saltwater or salmon then an 8wt is nice. On reels get something decent but don't go crazy. It's nothing more than a line holder
    I'm thinking about trying this reel for a 7'6" 3-4 wt rod for small streams. The few reviews are good and it's cheap enough to not worry too much about it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Crystal-Rive...3D252554268152
    ~ George Washington

Ive used a fly rod to catch panfish wouldnt really call it fly fishing. Ive been wanting a nicer fly rod for awhile now. Went to a fly shop a year or so ago and guy pretty much mimicked griffin. Said a 5wt would do most anything id need. Nothing like a mountain stream.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Yeah, I wouldn't waste money on a fancy reel. I probably have 3 trout a year that drag is actually used.

But a ten foot rod is something to look into. I don't know if y'all know anything about Jim Casada, but he uses at least a nine foot rod when fishing the smokies. The ability to control drift and make more efficient roll casts is a game changer in my opinion.

Yeah, I wouldn't waste money on a fancy reel. I probably have 3 trout a year that drag is actually used.

But a ten foot rod is something to look into. I don't know if y'all know anything about Jim Casada, but he uses at least a nine foot rod when fishing the smokies. The ability to control drift and make more efficient roll casts is a game changer in my opinion.
    I made a quick stop at Cabelas/Greenville yesterday and picked up a TFO 'Lefty Krey' Finesse 7'9" - 4 wt that had been strongly recommended to me. It should match up very nicely with my Orvis BBS II and/or an Orvis Battenkill Disc 3/4. I just need to test various 4 and 5 weight lines with it and give a go.

Now I just need to find some time to go fishing... and sell some of my other rods and reels to cover these new ones.
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 09-27-2016 at 06:52 PM.
    ~ George Washington

I have a couple of 4wts...my fave is a 6'6" St Croix....lot's of rooster reds caught on this setup.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

So, I was chasing down a school of blitzing Jacks a few weeks ago.
    When they came up again I laid the rod in the bottom of the boat and took off at 30 kts over to them 1/2 mile up river.
    Little did I know that the big popper flew out the boat and the line came screaming off until....you guessed it....out goes a 3pc. Winston boron XTR and Bauer M5 10wt setup!
    I used to have 3 of those Boron XTR's, now I only have a 6 and 8 wt.......Mother fucker......Careful where you lay your rods down, just sayin!!!!
    Last edited by Calibogue; 09-30-2016 at 11:09 AM.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    So, I was chasing down a school of blitzing Jacks a few weeks ago.
    When they came up again I laid the rod in the bottom of the boat and took off at 30 kts over to them 1/2 mile up river.
    Little did I know that the big popper flew out the boat and the line came screaming off until....you guessed it....out goes a 3pc. Winston boron XTR and Bauer M5 10wt setup!
    I used to have 3 of those Boron XTR's, now I only have a 6 and 8 wt.......Mother fucker......Careful where you lay your rods down, just sayin!!!!
    Damn... that would be a bummer! No way you can go drag for it?
    ~ George Washington

If you used the drag to fight a fish you are wrong. Use your hand and friction.

Woodie,

Get a 9' or 8'6". A long rod will do everything a short rod will. The reverse is not true
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Woodie,

Get a 9' or 8'6". A long rod will do everything a short rod will. The reverse is not true
    Griffin,

I hear ya'...

I've got a 9' 5wt, an 8'6" 5wt I'm probably going to sell, and an 8'6" 6wt that was my original and only rod for years. Just need to decide if I'm going to keep it or change it out to a 9'+(?) 7 or 8wt for bass and (hopefully) salmon. Also have an 8'6" 4/5wt that I may part with now that I've got the shorter one for tight streams.

If my brother shows a renewed interest when he comes up for a weekend soon I may end up losing some this stuff to him, but that would be great.

My 7'6" 5wt Fenwick HMG is going to get set up with a reel and line for a neighbor who's been more than generous over the years with helping me with metal and welding assistance to keep my bush hog in one piece. I just recently found out he's only got a 7wt rod and has been using his spinning rod with flies and nymphs on tight streams, so I'm looking forward to seeing a big smile on his face. Putting his three daughters through college has put a crimp on his equipment stock over the years.
    ~ George Washington

I've chased these little rockfish for a while up here with a 9' 8 weight St Croix. I've got a cheaper reel on it. I bought a inexpensive Orvis combo (Encounter, it serves its purpose with me )recently to replace my last, 9' 5 weight.
    Last edited by Highstrung; 09-30-2016 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Inexpensive, stupid ass phone

Woodie,

Try that shit with a 30# jack and you'll draw back some bloody nuckles!